Thoughts on my build please?

iamyama

Hello guys,

I am a first-time buyer of a gaming pc and would appreciate your thoughts on my build. If its possible to cut on any costs in this build, anything that is out of the ordinary or not necessary, please let me know. I would like to cut down on costs if possible without compromizing the "future-proofing" aspect.

This is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1195.91

TOTAL: 1363 EUR

Should this build be enough for dual 4K screens running games at 4K resolution smoothly? Is it future-proof and can I cut down on costs anywhere without compromizing much?

Thank you for your input and thoughts.

Get a cheaper case. S340 is plenty. Also i5 is better value.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Please put this on PCPartPicker to make editing/pricing easier

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Hello guys,

I am a first-time buyer of a gaming pc and would appreciate your thoughts on my build. If its possible to cut on any costs in this build, anything that is out of the ordinary or not necessary, please let me know. I would like to cut down on costs if possible without compromizing the "future-proofing" aspect.

This is the build:

Please use uk.pcpartpicker.com or de.pcpartpicker.com (whatever is closer to you, UK or Germany) It is so much easier to help if you use that and some people will ignore this if you don't use it.

Please put this on PCPartPicker to make editing/pricing easier

Doesn't work like that because there is no pcpartpicker for european countries.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Doesn't work like that because there is no pcpartpicker for european countries.

Wrong. There is a Spanish, German, Italian, and UK PCPartPicker, all of which are in Europe.

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Wrong. There is a Spanish, German, Italian, and UK PCPartPicker, all of which are in Europe.

and all of them are beyond useless, german one pretty much only uses amazon prices, spain one is straight up empty, dunno about italian one.

Spoiler

I5-4690k CPU

BeQuiet! PURE ROCK Cooler.

For the SSD go with a Samsung 850 or Crucial. Do you have a spare HDD because 128gbs won't be enough.

For the PSU Any EVGA SuperNovas should be find or SeaSonic.

And no this will not run 4k. It would barely run 1440p. If you want 1440p or 4k A GTX 980 or 980TI would be needed. 980 for 1440p but 980ti for 4k.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I5-4690k CPU

BeQuiet! PURE ROCK Cooler.

For the SSD go with a Samsung 850 or Crucial. Do you have a spare HDD because 128gbs won't be enough.

For the PSU Any EVGA SuperNovas should be find or SeaSonic.

And no this will not run 4k. It would barely run 1440p. If you want 1440p or 4k A GTX 980 or 980TI would be needed. 980 for 1440p but 980ti for 4k.

970 is powerful enough for 1440p... barely run 1440p...  <_<

Spoiler

and all of them are beyond useless, german one pretty much only uses amazon prices, spain one is straight up empty, dunno about italian one.

German one doesn't just "pretty much only use Amazon prices". I've seen Caseking and Pixmania on there.

It's better to see every available part, then try and get one cheap, than to limit your options because the one site you were looking at doesn't sell it. Prices are just an estimate until you come to finalise your parts list, then you can take it off PCPartPicker.

German one doesn't just "pretty much only use Amazon prices". I've seen Caseking and Pixmania on there.

It's better to see every available part, then try and get one cheap, than to limit your options because the one site you were looking at doesn't sell it. Prices are just an estimate until you come to finalise your parts list, then you can take it off PCPartPicker.

but then again he is shopping in netherlands so all of the partpickers are pointless for comparing prices.

Spoiler

970 is powerful enough for 1440p... barely run 1440p...  <_<

Not if you wanna run 60+ FPS

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Not if you wanna run 60+ FPS

980 is like 2 fps faster and 30% more expensive, now THAT is definitely not good value.

Spoiler

but then again he is shopping in netherlands so all of the partpickers are pointless for comparing prices.

Which uses the Euro, the same as Germany, so de.pcpartpicker.com isn't useless. It will give a rough idea, which is better than limiting choices.

Which uses the Euro, the same as Germany, so de.pcpartpicker.com isn't useless. It will give a rough idea, which is better than limiting choices.

netherlands has different stores and different taxes and different prices. Any kind of comparison of prices by using german partpicker just plain doesn't work. I have tried many times.

Spoiler

I just changed the PC parts to the website suggested earlier. The price is shown in dollars but is equal to about 1363 Euros. So what I am seeing so far, the GTX 970 is not enough to run games at 4K on a 4K display?

I just changed the PC parts to the website suggested earlier. The price is shown in dollars but is equal to about 1363 Euros. So what I am seeing so far, the GTX 970 is not enough to run games at 4K on a 4K display?

can it ? Yes but it will be at very very low FPS

Now 980Ti is out I would shave some money of other parts and get that. It has 6GB of GDDR5 I believe which is what you want for higher res gaming. Personally I would aim to game at 4K with your budget. Watch this: 

I know its 3 4L monitors but this is stull 4 Titan Xs

Is the GTX 970 not worthwhile investing in? Overall, is the build good or do things have to be changed? Would this work with SLI in order to get the 4K gaming on?

Is the GTX 970 not worthwhile investing in? Overall, is the build good or do things have to be changed? Would this work with SLI in order to get the 4K gaming on?