CPU max TDP

Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

TDP counts both iGPU and CPU. However TDP is not the same as power consumption. They are often close in numbers, but not the same thing.

For an Intel CPU, for example, is the maximum TDP including running the cpu AND the integrated graphics or is it just running the cpu? For example, my i5 has a max tdp of 84w but i havent seen it go over 73w under load from intel burn test and i use a discreet gpu so the graphics portion of the cpu uses no power.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

TDP and power consumption aren't really the same thing. TDP refers to the amount of heat produced by the CPU. I believe the TDP is with both the iGPU and CPU running.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

TDP counts both iGPU and CPU. However TDP is not the same as power consumption. They are often close in numbers, but not the same thing.

"Rawr XD"

84W or 88W TDP are just rounded numbers Intel decides to announce on a given architecture. Doesn't necessarily mean the CPU will indeed produce 84W of heat.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

The power consumption and heat generation are the same. However, TDP doesn't tell you either of those exactly. TDP is really a sort of estimated number, it's the maximum amount of heat per second that anyone designing a cooler should expect to be dealing with under a sustained maximum load. It's nowhere near the "theoretical maximum heat" or power draw a processor is capable of. Heat is generated whenever a transistor fires, and in a realistic scenario only a tiny fraction of the CPU's transistors are firing during any given cycle, even under maximum load. Of course you can write a virus that will just fire every transistor and spike power and heat way up, but realistically the TDP is about the max you should expect under a normal scenario. Depending on the actual tasks your CPU is doing, it'll usually be drawing less power than that, but again depending on the task it may go slightly above the TDP at times. And yes, TDP does include integrated graphics, as the specification is really intended to be useful for people designing cooling units, so integrated graphics must be taken into account.

TDP and power consumption aren't really the same thing. TDP refers to the amount of heat produced by the CPU. I believe the TDP is with both the iGPU and CPU running.

84W or 88W TDP are just rounded numbers Intel decides to announce on a given architecture. Doesn't necessarily mean the CPU will indeed produce 84W of heat.

Oh. Didn't know that. So is there a way we can compare the "CPU Power" to the stated/specified TDP? Since TDP is apparently a unit of heat output, is there a way we can compare it with the information sensors give us?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Oh. Didn't know that. So is there a way we can compare the "CPU Power" to the stated/specified TDP? Since TDP is apparently a unit of heat output, is there a way we can compare it with the information sensors give us?

Whatever sensors report to you is the current power draw is the current power draw, and is also the current heat output.

Whatever sensors report to you is the current power draw is the current power draw, and is also the current heat output.

Presuming the software and sensors are interpreting the values properly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Presuming the software and sensors are interpreting the values properly.

Alright, I see, thanks!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

The only way to determine the real heat output is to probe the cpu. There are no sensors built-in to determine that. The sensors can only read whatever temp the cores and the package report.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud