4k or 1440p?

Go to solution Solved by IeuBry,

If you absolutely have to buy now there is the Acer S277HK which is 4K 60hz IPS 4ms but no g-sync. Also the Dell P2715Q which is 4k 60hz IPS 6ms and apparently a good scaler for going from 4K to 1440p in games.

I'll check these out, thanks for the help!

Build I am planning: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/X4vKQ7

I'm struggling to choose what monitor to buy.

I want my build to be future-proof but I don't want to spend absolutely tons of money if I can avoid it.

The build includes an i7-4790k and an MSI GTX 980. Do you think this will be capable of handling 4k without/with g-sync on current/future AAA titles?

Will this not be able to handle 4k enjoyably and should I just go for a 1440p monitor?

Is there a massive/noticeable difference between 4k and 1440p (I've never seen either type of display with my own eyes)?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

Edit: I've been looking at some benchmarks http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Gaming/1.html and a single 980 seems to drop to ~40 fps at points in many of the tests. Is this still noticeable with g-sync?

Go for 1440p

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

1440p, IMO. The 980 won't play demanding titles at 4k very easily (you will not get a consistent 60fps), especially down the road.

At a certain screen size, there'll definitely be a difference between 1440p and 4k, but I'd go 1440p, personally.

1440p would be best for that build

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

1440p for sure.

1440p a single 980 can not handle 4k for gaming

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

1440p, IMO. The 980 won't play demanding titles at 4k very easily (you will not get a consistent 60fps), especially down the road.

At a certain screen size, there'll definitely be a difference between 1440p and 4k, but I'd go 1440p, personally.

I've been looking at some benchmarks and a single 980 seems to drop to ~40 fps at points in many of the tests. Is this still noticeable with g-sync?

I've been looking at some benchmarks and a single 980 seems to drop to ~40 fps at points in many of the tests. Is this still noticeable with g-sync?

I can't say for sure since I don't have a G-Sync monitor.

When Linus tested it he said that 40-45fps with g-sync on feels like 60fps.

Linus said that 40-45fps with g-sync on feels like 60fps.

Do you have a link to a video about this sort of stuff? 4k would be amazing to have but I don't want to waste my money and buy a monitor that my GPU just can't handle.

Do you have a link to a video about this sort of stuff? 4k would be amazing to have but I don't want to waste my money and buy a monitor that my GPU just can't handle.

Here is where he said it :

Build I am planning: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/X4vKQ7

I'm struggling to choose what monitor to buy.

I want my build to be future-proof but I don't want to spend absolutely tons of money if I can avoid it.

The build includes an i7-4790k and an MSI GTX 980. Do you think this will be capable of handling 4k without/with g-sync on current/future AAA titles?

Will this not be able to handle 4k enjoyably and should I just go for a 1440p monitor?

Is there a massive/noticeable difference between 4k and 1440p (I've never seen either type of display with my own eyes)?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

Edit: I've been looking at some benchmarks http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Gaming/1.html and a single 980 seems to drop to ~40 fps at points in many of the tests. Is this still noticeable with g-sync?

My situation is slightly different because I will run :

Gaming PC Windows 10

Work Mac OSX

Which means I can use the Apple scaling which is amazing and yes properly scaled 4K crushes 1440p for desktop use.  Its a lot sharper.  However for Windows use it all depends on how good the scaling is in Windows 10.

Also if a game needs a bit more power I will simply run at 1440p on the 4K screen.  Norm from tested said this works great on the Dell monitors.  I just hope the scaler in the Asus monitors is as good as the one they use in the Dell monitors.

Thank you!

No problem. Incidentally if you are going 4K Gsync that video is of the monitor to get if you can wait till Q3.

There are no IPS 4K G-sync monitors, that will be the first.  (TN panels really don't look good )

Also if a game needs a bit more power I will simply run at 1440p on the 4K screen.  

I know it sounds obvious but that's actually a great idea. Does it feel horrible to go back to 1440p after playing at 4k? Also, what monitor are you using at the moment? Do you have any monitor suggestions that I should check out?

I know it sounds obvious but that's actually a great idea. Does it feel horrible to go back to 1440p after playing at 4k? Also, what monitor are you using at the moment? Do you have any monitor suggestions that I should check out?

I have not been able to game on a 4K monitor as my experience of them has been on Apple computers where a 4K and 1440p Thunderbolt display are often used.  The 4K always blows away the 1440p.

However I have seen a fair few 4K TN panels and they do look awful.  In this case the a 1440p IPS looks better.

I am building a monster gaming PC for myself (probably with a 980ti ) and will be getting a 4K monitor (The Asus 4K IPS g-sync ).  I will use the monitor for work on the Mac and game on the PC.

If you want 4K IPS g-sync the only monitor is the one I linked in the video which will be out Q3 this year. 

If you absolutely have to buy now there is the Acer S277HK which is 4K 60hz IPS 4ms but no g-sync. Also the Dell P2715Q which is 4k 60hz IPS 6ms and apparently a good scaler for going from 4K to 1440p in games.

Titan x has problems playing some current games at 1440p at a constant 60fps.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

Titan x has problems playing some current games at 1440p at a constant 60fps.

Haha yeah, ive got a Titan X i struggle to get constant 60fps on 1440P on games such as Far cry 4, tomb raider etc.. 

I have not been able to game on a 4K monitor as my experience of them has been on Apple computers where a 4K and 1440p Thunderbolt display are often used. The 4K always blows away the 1440p.

However I have seen a fair few 4K TN panels and they do look awful. In this case the a 1440p IPS looks better.

I am building a monster gaming PC for myself (probably with a 980ti ) and will be getting a 4K monitor (The Asus 4K IPS g-sync ). I will use the monitor for work on the Mac and game on the PC.

If you want 4K IPS g-sync the only monitor is the one I linked in the video which will be out Q3 this year.

What is the inputlag(leobodnar) of both the monitors?