No sound with headphones

Smile

I recently purchased a 2 in 1 Toshiba Satellite 13.3" P30W-B00F (Windows 8.1 64bit) and when I plug in headphones I can't get sound working from the headphone jack located on the rear of the keyboard dock.

The inbuilt speakers and the headphone jack located on the tablet part work fine with both the pre-installed DTS Sound and Conexant HD Audio driver and default Windows 8.1 sound driver.

I can't use the tablet headphone jack permanently because when the tablet is docked it gets hidden.

Here are the things I have checked and tried..

• Volume mixers are at 100%
  • Uninstalled DTS Sound and Conexant HD Audio, restarted and used the default Windows 8.1 sound driver
  • Checked the UEFI and nothing is disabled
  • Checked the settings in Control Panel, Sound, DTS Sound and Conexant HD Audio
  • Control Panel, Sound, show disabled devices
  • Choosing the tablet headphone jack as a default
  • Putting it to sleep and turning it back on
  • Different pairs of headphones (they work in other computers)

Thanks.

Have you set that output as the default playback device?

My headset won't work until I do this.

The headphones don't show up in Control Panel, Sound when plugged in the rear of the keyboard dock so I can't select it.

Missing driver then?

Nope. Everything is good in Device Manager.

I updated the Toshiba system driver, restarted and no difference.

Any other ideas?

I just noticed when I plug in the headphones direct into the tablet nothing changes in sound settings to get them working. When I dock the tablet the microphone settings sound meter picks up me using the trackpad.

Tomorrow I will try Windows 10 preview and see if that helps.

I am not familiar with that specific laptop but if it has any exposed contacts/plug for the dock you may want to check them for the presence of dirt or debris and make sure that they are clean. this can produce what you are experiencing. The other possibility that I can think of is that the jack on the dock is bad or a bad connection in the dock for the audio plug.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

I am not familiar with that specific laptop but if it has any exposed contacts/plug for the dock you may want to check them for the presence of dirt or debris and make sure that they are clean. this can produce what you are experiencing. The other possibility that I can think of is that the jack on the dock is bad or a bad connection in the dock for the audio plug.

They are clean.

I tried Windows 10 preview and no luck.

• 2 months later...

I upgraded to Windows 10 today. I opened Conexant Smart Audio, selected headphones and Windows installed something. I restarted. Now in Sound settings it says headphones are not plugged in. I still can't set it as default and selecting Classic or Multistream in Conexant Smart Audio does nothing. So unless anyone has any other ideas it's RMA time..