Graphics card wont register

brad259

Hi guys

Just built my pc over the weekend and everything is running okay. However, Today my graphics card came (yay) But the MOBO wont pick up the GPU (R9 280x)

What do i do to make sure the MOBO will pick it up?

Is it something ive done wrong or is it the gpu/mobo it self?

Cheers

Specs?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

is the graphics card turning on when you start the computer?

are the fans spinning up?

when you go to device manager is there a yellow triangle for graphics drivers?

Hi guys

Just built my pc over the weekend and everything is running okay. However, Today my graphics card came (yay) But the MOBO wont pick up the GPU (R9 280x)

What do i do to make sure the MOBO will pick it up?

Is it something ive done wrong or is it the gpu/mobo it self?

Cheers

Did you swap the cable from the onboard graphics to the graphics card itself?

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Make sure it's plugged in properly. Make sure you plugged in the power to it as well. If you had an Nvidia card before it the drivers conflict and eat each other, so if you did have a temporary Nvidia card, get a driver sweeper and remove it. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Wow lots of response already! 

The fans do turn on as soon as i press the power button but then my monitor wont pick up any signal at all coming from the GPU it self nor the on board graphics. Right now im currently using the on board intel graphics with the GPU removed from the system.

Wow lots of response already! 

The fans do turn on as soon as i press the power button but then my monitor wont pick up any signal at all coming from the GPU it self nor the on board graphics. Right now im currently using the on board intel graphics with the GPU removed from the system.

so when the graphics card is plugged in you can't see anything?

do you have an old/different graphics card to test the mobo with?

also sorry to have to ask this but when you have the graphics card in the system do you have the cable coming from the graphics card to the monitor or are you still running it from the motherboard?

so when the graphics card is plugged in you can't see anything?

do you have an old/different graphics card to test the mobo with?

Correct cant see a thing at all!

And unfortunately i dont :( 

Install drivers from AMD's website

it was suggested earlier that it could be a driver issue. If you had any previous amd or nvidea graphics drivers installed, uninstall them and install the latest official drivers form AMD then try reinstalling the graphics card.

Hopefully It will be working tomorrow! 

Little annoyed how it isnt working at the moment but hopefully it is just the driver issue!

People saying the drivers are the issue are incorrect. The card will still work without any drivers installed because Windows uses a universal VGA driver so you can install the necessary drivers(it would be pretty pointless if you couldn't see what you were doing, right?). Same goes with the BIOS - it has VGA mode. The video card will still work there. Yes, it's basic, but the card will still be functional. Try moving your card down a slot if possible. If that doesn't work, move it down to the second slot and then the third one if applicable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I will try move it down to the 2nd pcie slot :D hopefully it does!

If for say it didn't work what could be the problem?

Okay

So I've got it working brilliant! But now my CPU is registering at 99degress :o I've turned it on a few time and keeps saying 99degress. I have not used it since what could be causing the problem now?

Okay

So I've got it working brilliant! But now my CPU is registering at 99degress :o I've turned it on a few time and keeps saying 99degress. I have not used it since what could be causing the problem now?

How did you get the card to work? By taking my suggestion?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

How did you get the card to work? By taking my suggestion?

Correct! Thank you very much! :D

Everything is up and running 100%now!!! 

Thanks guys for your help!!