Poseidon vs Aftermarket WB

nbrikha

My 680 burned out over a week ago. Not entirely sure what happened but I got post code 62 and no post, no video and it crashed while gaming. Found some oil underneath the backplate thermal tape. Cleaned it off best I could, reintalled. Two days later, same problem. It was on a Kraken/H90 cooling rig. So now I'm weary of opening a GPU up and installing something of my own. The Poseidon then falls in an area of comfort for me because I can have OE cooling solution with water without buying a waterblock and installing it myself...takes some responsibility off my shoulders. I'm willing to go WB route though if it's worth it. Is it? Am I going to see a cooling boost or is it wash between Poseidon and an EK waterblock?

By the way, long road I'm looking at rigid piping. If that factors in, let me know.

Currently running an H240-X (which is a 280mm rad).

PC: Intel 10700K, Asus Z490-E Strix, G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz C14, Thermaltake View 71, Custom Water Cooling (EKWB Quantum, 2x 360mm SR1 Radiators, 6 Noctua NF-A12), EVGA GTX1080 ti HydroCopper, Intel 6651TB, Intel 600p 480GB, Windows 10 Pro

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33844326

From what I know a pure waterblock should perform better, but if the card itself is having a problem changing the cooler won't necessarily solve it. I would try and determine how that oily substance got under the backplate before cinsidering to spend more money on the 680.

@nbrikha by the way please follow your topics.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

From what I know a pure waterblock should perform better, but if the card itself is having a problem changing the cooler won't necessarily solve it. I would try and determine how that oily substance got under the backplate before cinsidering to spend more money on the 680.

@nbrikha by the way please follow your topics.

my question wasn't whether I should put a block on my 680. It was whether I should get a poseidon 980 with a wb on it already or get a normal 980 and put an EK block on it. 

one response that doesn't even understand the question I had and I should "follow my topics"? wow. so you saw the joy of a thread that got a ton of response and thought you should mitigate and solve everyone's worries? BTW, I did get a response at overclock that was tons more informative

PC: Intel 10700K, Asus Z490-E Strix, G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz C14, Thermaltake View 71, Custom Water Cooling (EKWB Quantum, 2x 360mm SR1 Radiators, 6 Noctua NF-A12), EVGA GTX1080 ti HydroCopper, Intel 6651TB, Intel 600p 480GB, Windows 10 Pro

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33844326

my question wasn't whether I should put a block on my 680. It was whether I should get a poseidon 980 with a wb on it already or get a normal 980 and put an EK block on it. 

one response that doesn't even understand the question I had and I should "follow my topics"? wow. so you saw the joy of a thread that got a ton of response and thought you should mitigate and solve everyone's worries? BTW, I did get a response at overclock that was tons more informative

My 680

Where does it mention a 980?

following one's topic is good forum practice, has nothing to do with the question.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*