Do the AFP (Australian fed. police) actually take action if someone torrents in AUS?

melias24

Hey guys, so my friend was going to torrent a movie and a few episodes of his tv show he watches. Anyway i told him that i wouldn't risk it as a couple of people got in trouble and jailed for it (this info came from another friend) so i googled it and couldn't really find anything, so does anyone know for sure if they actually come and arrest you and fine you if you torrent? Don't want my mate heading off to prison! And if anyone knows of a detailed article i would also like that to send to him!

~Elias

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

hahahahahah. no

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB SSD: Adata SP900 128GB HDD: WD Green 4TB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-WiFi PSU: Cooler Master V450S Case: Silverstone SG13

Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK Monitor: AOC i2367FH Headset: Tritton Kunai

AFP won't.

But, I would watch out, you will have to watch out of other publishing companies of movies/tv shows that want to take legal action. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I doubt the AFP would do anything 

I think australia is adopting the 3 strike rule, your first contact would most likly be a letter from either your service provider or the AFP.

but saying that the afp has to get approval by the courts to initiate monitoring your meta data, so in turn I would guess there mainly going to be looking at point source which is the uploaded of the initial seed or your a consistent high seeder.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

hahahahahah. no

I highly doubt this would happen. All the AFP do is sit on there ass in the airports eating donuts.

AFP won't.

But, I would watch out, you will have to watch out of other publishing companies of movies/tv shows that want to take legal action. 

I doubt the AFP would do anything 

I think australia is adopting the 3 strike rule, your first contact would most likly be a letter from either your service provider or the AFP.

but saying that the afp has to get approval by the courts to initiate monitoring your meta data, so in turn I would guess there mainly going to be looking at point source which is the uploaded of the initial seed or your a consistent high seeder.

right. I don't really mean the AFP but you know the popo's. I guess busting people who plan to bomb on ANZAC Day is far far more important than some 14 year old downloading a movie....

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

The people who were planning to bomb on Anzac Day were also 14 years old...

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB SSD: Adata SP900 128GB HDD: WD Green 4TB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-WiFi PSU: Cooler Master V450S Case: Silverstone SG13

Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK Monitor: AOC i2367FH Headset: Tritton Kunai

The people who were planning to bomb on Anzac Day were also 14 years old...

True but my friends are aussie not pommie. 

if your scared...buy a vpn...

For some reason I read that as "if you're scared....buy a gun..."

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

right. I don't really mean the AFP but you know the popo's. I guess busting people who plan to bomb on ANZAC Day is far far more important than some 14 year old downloading a movie....

No your mistaken because most of the "terrorist" would be covered by asio then a task force would be established with the AFP to form the raids.

where as illegal trade - which torrenting falls under would be managed by the AFP working with local police

Its all about those volumetric clouds

How it works is that if you download illegal copyrighted stuff, companies also monitor those torrents and collect the IPs of all the people downloading their content. They then send all of those IPs to your ISP so that the ISP can take action (depends on each one). Here in the US, most just send out letters with warnings. To prevent any of this, just use a proxy or vpn to hide your actual IP so that the IP that they get is not your actual one. And of course, this information is all for educational purposes only.