Are you upgrading to 980Ti?

WhiteSkyMage

Hey guys,

Looks like GTA V was the one to proof that 4GB vram can be already considered "done for" for higher resolutions than 1080p. Do you think it's time to move on to the 6gb for 1440p? The game would hit a 3.5GB at 1080p and other reviews say about it needing 14GB for 4K.

That may be a warning that the next upcoming games will be more Vram hungry. If you really trust that DX12 to stack vram, you might just go get SLI, but 8gb will not hold for long. Personally, i don't know what to do as well...should i SLI this 980 or sell it and get 390X/980ti....

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

If there is a 980ti, I think we all are praying that DirectX12 does stack VRAM. Otherwise it'll be downhill for 4k players. We'll see though. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

i highly doubt all games will now need that much vram coming after gta 5. for 4k yes, you'll need a lot, for 1080 or 1440 pretty sure you'll be fine for good few years.

only games that do need a lot of vram are shadow of mordor and gta 5, you can see why quite well too when you play them, huge world a ton of textures and other stuff to load into vram. i doubt many other games will need a ton of vram.

i do agree 4gb on 980 is a great choice from nvidia, i really expected 6/8gb on them...

we'll see where it all goes, but 15 years ago 256vram was the enough for everything, now 2/4gb is enough for pretty much everything, yes games want more vram now more quickly, but i don't see 980 becoming obsolete, maybe wont be able to use ultra textures in games, but other than that... it'll do fine imo

Shadow of Mordor, Unity, Watch Dogs, Evolve and bunch other games eats more vram then gta v at 1080p and they came bofore it so its not really gta v who makes that "done for" and it was "done for" for quite awhile. Also just because it can use 3.5gb vram or 4gb vram doesnt mean that u cant run it with 2gb vram gpu. Like we can see ppl are doing just fine with lower end cards http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/350212-gta-v-on-a-gtx480-runs-surprisingly-well-1080p-ultra/also my brother is running it with 650 at quite high settings with 40-60 fps.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

12GB for 4K? Suuuuuuure. The R9 390X is going the right direction with its 8GB HBM VRAM. Besides, I hope that Windows 10 DX12 will allow cards to stack VRAM in SLI configs. Imagine, dual R9 390Xs in crossfire- 16GB of glorious sexy VRAM to consume!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

If there is a 980ti, I think we all are praying that DirectX12 does stack VRAM. Otherwise it'll be downhill for 4k players. We'll see though.

Do you think Starwars battlefront would be on dx12?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Do you think Starwars battlefront would be on dx12?

I'll pray to the lord gaben for it to be so.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Hey guys,

Looks like GTA V was the one to proof that 4GB vram can be already considered "done for" for higher resolutions than 1080p. Do you think it's time to move on to the 6gb for 1440p? The game would hit a 3.5GB at 1080p and other reviews say about it needing 14GB for 4K.

That may be a warning that the next upcoming games will be more Vram hungry. If you really trust that DX12 to stack vram, you might just go get SLI, but 8gb will not hold for long. Personally, i don't know what to do as well...should i SLI this 980 or sell it and get 390X/980ti....

14GB is a lie.  In SLI the game thinks all VRAM is a total instead of individual GPU VRAM.  2x Titan X and the game thinks you got 12GB VRAM available.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Glad to see the 980Ti (which will never exist) is being discussed. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Glad to see the 980Ti (which will never exist) is being discussed.

It is mostly about the Vram bro. I dont mind going SLI 980, in fact it will be easier for me, it's the fact that, even optimized, games are starting to use Vram in bigger quantities which can be worrying for people who want 1440p ultra setting.