Issue with DDR4? Some help please.

I'm having trouble with getting stability on my X99 setup.

First, my specs - an older Corsair TX 750w PSU, 5820k cpu, asus x99-s board, 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400mhz DDR4 ram.

So what i did was set my ram to 1300 (for 2600mhz) in the bios, altered the timings down to 12-12-12-30-1t as in some reviews i've seen, passed 8 hours of realbench but no good for a while of HCI memtest as it found an error.

Put the timings up to 13-13-13-31-1t, ran memtest for 9 hours, no issues. Stopped test, rebooted and tested again with the same settings. Almost immediately got a BSOD with a 1A error code, rebooted again and found memtest had logged some errors it found before the BSOD. Rebooted once more with the same settings, tested again for 19 hours, no errors found in that time. Stopped the test again and a little later rebooted - got a BSOD with 7E error code.

Can anyone make sense of what is going on with that? Is the ram not stable with those settings? Whatever it is, it seems intermittent.

Stock settings are 16-16-16-30-1t, but i was trying to lower them. CPU is also overclocked to 4.4ghz.

your CAS timings is too low

when you bump your speed aka MHz

your CAS timings should be higher

if you pick a lower speed

than your CAS can be lower

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

your CAS timings is too low

when you bump your speed aka MHz

your CAS timings should be higher

if you pick a lower speed

than your CAS can be lower

Thanks for the reply, i realize that. Thing is i was going by settings used in 2 particular reviews I've seen of this memory kit. So, there's a good chance they didn't test them enough i guess?

Still can't understand why the issue is intermittent and memtest went so long without finding an error the last time i ran it though.

Maybe i should put the ram back to stock settings, i was hoping to lower them a bit.. but finding stability like this seems awfully twitchy and difficult.

Thanks for the reply, i realize that. Thing is i was going by settings used in 2 particular reviews I've seen of this memory kit. So, there's a good chance they didn't test them enough i guess?

Still can't understand why the issue is intermittent and memtest went so long without finding an error the last time i ran it though.

Maybe i should put the ram back to stock settings, i was hoping to lower them a bit.. but finding stability like this seems awfully twitchy and difficult.

this fall under soft error

which you may not notice under normal operation

cant really explain off hand 

https://storagemojo.com/2012/10/23/dram-errors-soft-and-hard/

you can read this link

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I've done the same, @2666 CAS12 - REMEMBER, you have to up voltage to 1.35
Mines are working fine, but YMMV

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

I've done the same, @2666 CAS12 - REMEMBER, you have to up voltage to 1.35

Mines are working fine, but YMMV

Yep they are at 1.35v already, first thing i did when i changed the timings. So i'm not sure what to do next, if i can't test them reliably with software then i have no choice other than to try higher timings or put them back to stock.

Yep they are at 1.35v already, first thing i did when i changed the timings. So i'm not sure what to do next, if i can't test them reliably with software then i have no choice other than to try higher timings or put them back to stock.

Try 1.36-37, up to 1.5 is still safe (but stay as low as possible since with 1.5 heatsinks start to matter, and this kits are pretty basic... otherwise up the CAS values.

Also, test your ram with CPU at stock. What's your vcore and input voltage? Were they working fine at stock?

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

Try 1.36-37, up to 1.5 is still safe (but stay as low as possible since with 1.5 heatsinks start to matter, and this kits are pretty basic... otherwise up the CAS values.

Also, test your ram with CPU at stock. What's your vcore and input voltage? Were they working fine at stock?

Isn't 1.35v considered the max safe limit for DDR4?

Input voltage i'm not sure, but vcore is 1.265. I have most other things set to auto as that is what is (usually) recommended.

Alright i'm making some progress, i downloaded the free version of Memtest86 and put it on a USB stick to boot from. Less than 30 seconds in it found a bunch of errors, i restarted the test to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it did the same thing again. So looks like i can move on by raising the timings, i hope i don't have bad ram.