Budget Gaming Build (New-ish to this)

Phate

Hello! I'm building my own build for the first time, but I have put together a computer before and installed my own components, so there is that. I found this forum via TechQuickie on youtube when I was asking for advice from a friend and they directed me to these pretty informative videos that I really like. Anyways, on to the nitty gritty.

1. Location and Budget - I am in the USA and I estimate to spend between $500-700 USD. 

2. Aim - First and foremost for gaming. I play World of Warcraft and a lot of games on steam, as well as some that are not in my steam library. Most of them are single player, I only play a few online multi-player games besides WoW. I also do run of the mill stuff most PC users do like browsing the net, watching movies, listening to music. I dabble in photoshop and a few 3D sculpting programs but they are nothing hardcore that require anything top of the line (my ancient feeling computer I built in 2009 could handle it so...can only imagine how well a new one will do).

3. Monitors - I have one 22" and don't have the space or current future plans for more than one monitor. Dual monitor would be nice, but I don't have the space so I am perfectly fine with a single monitor.

4. Peripherals - I have my own monitor as stated above, as well as a keyboard, mouse, external HD, speakers etc that I all will be reusing. I also have an OS already. I have a very new (less than a year old) 2 TB HDD that will be companion to the SSD.

5. Why am I upgrading? - Old computer has been getting noticeably slower and the parts are just dinosaur like in comparison to everything that has come out since I built this. In the life of my old computer the only things I changed inside were getting new HDs, so it's just for a freshie and a change. I want to be able to game better but still not break my bank doing it.

I have a tentative build based on info I gleaned from several places. My main thing I haven't decided on yet is nVidia card vs. something like radeon. I will list the parts below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y9Dy7P

Processor - AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (with included heatsink/fan)

MOBO - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

SSD - OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (This will be for my OS install and a few programs)

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (I picked fully modular because I just have nightmares about cable nests)

Still haven't decided on the graphics card or the case. I'm a bit picky about cases, I don't like a lot of LED lights and prefer none, nor do I want an open side panel (a small window would be ok) I don't want to spend over much on a case, I just want something simple. I looked at a lot of cases and read a lot of reviews, but after a while if I spend too long reading reviews I just become inundated and it makes my job harder.

Once again, all feedback is appreciated. If you think I'm choosing some components that are a little too powerful to go along with something else let me know. I want something good for my budget that will last a while for someone who likes to game a lot but doesn't generally get into too many graphics intensive games. Sometimes I didn't because I didn't think my system could handle it, other times I just wasn't interested.

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($133.65 @ Amazon) 

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA CPU Cooler  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Performance ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($51.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.54 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 285 2GB Mini IceQ X² Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $721.12

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-01 05:35 EDT-0400

Spending more on your mobo than your CPU is a false economy, like buying cheap booze. RAM is cheaper. Added an inexpensive but adequate CPU cooler. SSD was a good pick. The R9 285 is a good mid ranged GPU. It supports Freesync, and I've given you a mobo that can support Xfire and a PSU that can handle it easily enough. Case is both functional and almost non descript, I submit it's also tasteful. It also has excellent possibilities for a decent neutral air pressure chamber inside it (comes with 3 fans in a positive air pressure setup, can add 3 more to make it neutral, worth considering now that summer is coming).

Thank you very much for your reply. Makes sense about the mobo vs cpu cost thing. I'm just wondering, I don't really think I'm going to need 850w and I would like fully modular vs semi modular so would you think it would be ok to use the PSU from my first build? I like that case a lot :) Everything else looks great.

I'm not the biggest fan of ordering from a bunch of different places, I know NCIX US, Amazon and Newegg all have good reps but do you know anything about SuperBiiz? 

Thank you very much for your reply. Makes sense about the mobo vs cpu cost thing. I'm just wondering, I don't really think I'm going to need 850w and I would like fully modular vs semi modular so would you think it would be ok to use the PSU from my first build? I like that case a lot :) Everything else looks great.

I'm not the biggest fan of ordering from a bunch of different places, I know NCIX US, Amazon and Newegg all have good reps but do you know anything about SuperBiiz? 

The 850w PSU is the same price as the 750w PSU of the same line. You might as well get the larger one. As for it being semi-modular, the cables which are not modular are cables you will definitely be using so it makes no difference whether or not they're modular. I don't know anything about SuperBiiz, but if it bothers you you can buy the same cooler from Newegg (it's cheaper there after rebate), and I changed the mobo to something a bit more tasty (also cheaper after rebate). Check my previous post and you'll see I edited it for you.

Ah yes, I see now, thank you. Saw a lot of ASRock mobos while I've been looking around. Excellent, thank you so much. Just one more question, possibly nitpicky, is it possible to come down a bit on the graphics card price wise, or is it really better to just go as in considering all the other things I am going to be getting?

Ah yes, I see now, thank you. Saw a lot of ASRock mobos while I've been looking around. Excellent, thank you so much. Just one more question, possibly nitpicky, is it possible to come down a bit on the graphics card price wise, or is it really better to just go as in considering all the other things I am going to be getting?

I'd say getting either an R9 285 is probably the best thing you can do for the price. It's Freesync compatible, so when a decent Freesync monitor comes out you can grab one, and another R9 285 and go to town with it. Spending less will certainly get you less performance. If you tackle the Mail in Rebates, you'll get $50 back from this spec. Hard to sniff at $50. Thanks to the 850w PSU, your system could even handle a pair of R9 290's in Xfire. In the future you could buy either an R9 290 or R9 380 when they come out and sell the R9 285. In short, you could come down in price on the GPU, but you shouldn't.

Alright, sweet deal. Thanks for dealing with my possibly noob-ish questions lol. I looked at reviews on the HIS card, am not too sure about how I feel about what I have read. Was thinking maybe MSI or sapphire, I don't mind spending just a few more bucks. I will definitely jump on those rebates for sure.

Alright, sweet deal. Thanks for dealing with my possibly noob-ish questions lol. I looked at reviews on the HIS card, am not too sure about how I feel about what I have read. Was thinking maybe MSI or sapphire, I don't mind spending just a few more bucks. I will definitely jump on those rebates for sure.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/his-video-card-h285qmb2gd

This is another HIS card of the same type with a more beefy cooler on it. There aren't that many R9 285's to choose from, and I've never heard of any problem with HIS before. If you look for reviews, you'll always find someone who writes a bad review, mainly because the majority of people who do reviews have something to say. Most people don't say "it's nice blah blah" because that's what you expect.

Roger that, I think I will go with the card you just linked and the rest! :) 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/his-video-card-h285qmb2gd

This is another HIS card of the same type with a more beefy cooler on it. There aren't that many R9 285's to choose from, and I've never heard of any problem with HIS before. If you look for reviews, you'll always find someone who writes a bad review, mainly because the majority of people who do reviews have something to say. Most people don't say "it's nice blah blah" because that's what you expect.

I wanted to provide an update for my situation. I ordered all the parts as I said I would and I have them all except the processor because amazon is very slow for some reason. I was just checking the ASrock website for my motherboard (which, in all honesty, I should have done this -before- I ordered anything). I looked through the memory compatibility list for the motherboard I ordered and the RAM I have is not on the list. Are those lists mostly for what is the -best- compatibility, or the ones they have tested with, or when it comes to RAM is it not really a problem? 

Also my CPU model is "FD832EWMHKBOX" whereas the closest one on the CPU support list I see is "FD832EWMW8KHK".

I just didn't really think to look at all this before I ordered because I was frustrated and really just wanted to order my new parts and be done with it. Not the best mindset to have, I think. I just want to make sure that everything will work ok.

I wanted to provide an update for my situation. I ordered all the parts as I said I would and I have them all except the processor because amazon is very slow for some reason. I was just checking the ASrock website for my motherboard (which, in all honesty, I should have done this -before- I ordered anything). I looked through the memory compatibility list for the motherboard I ordered and the RAM I have is not on the list. Are those lists mostly for what is the -best- compatibility, or the ones they have tested with, or when it comes to RAM is it not really a problem? 

Also my CPU model is "FD832EWMHKBOX" whereas the closest one on the CPU support list I see is "FD832EWMW8KHK".

I just didn't really think to look at all this before I ordered because I was frustrated and really just wanted to order my new parts and be done with it. Not the best mindset to have, I think. I just want to make sure that everything will work ok.

The CPU will be fine. As for the RAM, it would probably be fine too. If not, then the e-tailer who sold you them can jolly well send you a refund!

Thank you for responding to my newb questions lol. I figured the RAM will probably be ok. As long as they are correct for the slot and from a reputable manufacturer systems are less picky about RAM (from what I have gathered in reading). When the processor gets here next week, I will see how it goes and I can report back here to say whether or not it went well (then I suppose I can mark the topic as solved).

Thank you for responding to my newb questions lol. I figured the RAM will probably be ok. As long as they are correct for the slot and from a reputable manufacturer systems are less picky about RAM (from what I have gathered in reading). When the processor gets here next week, I will see how it goes and I can report back here to say whether or not it went well (then I suppose I can mark the topic as solved).

No problem. Do be sure to overclock your CPU sensibly.