Macbook gaming V2: 30fps plus tour bioshock infinite (PROOF EDITION)

Who said he bought it FOR gaming, maybe he bought it for photo editing or spreadsheets? doesn't mean he cant still play games on it....

Agreed, but again, doesn't mean people cant play games on them occasionally

exactly! in fact the only reason this is going on at all is because I currently have no home internet in fact I haven't for a long time and I had to sell my gpu to pay some bills,but seeing as I am own the macbook already and I needed a color accurate screen the gpu went before the macbook would have been on the table

old games, yah. I mean as long as intel integrated gpus get better over time, there will be a day where most laptops, even without dedicated gpus, will game reasonably. I hope that day comes. I used to game on a dual core laptop with an nvs 160m. Fuck yea CS and cod2..and all of those little indie games...except minecraft. Too much. 

Intel Iris, especially Iris Pro, is pretty damn good tbh

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm not too sure I understand what peoples problems are,  are people upset that someone has a macbook that can play a game or are they upset because someone wants to talk about it?

I think both.

Infinite does 142fps on ultra on linux. 

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

kidding?he has to be kidding. you're kidding?right?

Its because its Apple so they immediately have to attack the owner

It think its great that the OP has a nice macbook they enjoy that also lets them play a few games

SHEESH this community sometimes are utter dickholes

he comes in here saying 

Well,well what do we have here bioshock infinite on a retina macbook pro running at 30 fps or above constant indeed we do cotton,indeed we do

note:

As for settings texture detail and quality are at ultra. All other settings are running at minimum or off.It sucks but the fps gods demanded sacrifices

Anyway, I think you will find that your eyes quite like what they see.

it should be noted this running at 720p as opposed to native resolution as the fps gods requested.

Here lie proof

he knows people here are dicks about macs. hes baiting a bit obviously. We all know pretty much nay intel i5 or i7 series CPUs now come with good enough on die gpus to run some games. 

Actually, some people don't know that. I'm still horrified by the days of onboard intel gpus....and oh god the hd3000

I was actually considering a macbook for my work laptop, the problem is I need a strong CPU (the thunderbolt 2 would work for gpu at home) and the storage, memory options are too expensive, even for solid state, along with the costly, warranty voiding upgrade I'd have to do if I wanted to hold off. 

I'm definitely not doing a macbook now seeing as the m18x I was gonna sell off got killed by someone's electric problems in their apartment. Like a day before I was gonna make the listing, getting my files off, it's dead. Gotta replace the motherboard. Probably gonna get this http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8652-clevo-p650sg-p-7795.html

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

dell hell does platform have to do with it? His limiting factor is the on-die intel GPU that so many laptops have. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

he comes in here saying 

he knows people here are dicks about macs. hes baiting a bit obviously. We all know pretty much nay intel i5 or i7 series CPUs now come with good enough on die gpus to run some games. 

Actually, some people don't know that. I'm still horrified by the days of onboard intel gpus....and oh god the hd3000

I was actually considering a macbook for my work laptop, the problem is I need a strong CPU (the thunderbolt 2 would work for gpu at home) and the storage, memory options are too expensive, even for solid state, along with the costly, warranty voiding upgrade I'd have to do if I wanted to hold off. 

I'm definitely not doing now seeing as the m18x I was gonna sell off got killed by someone's electric problems in their apartment. Gotta replace the motherboard. 

actually no. i mean i knew it but that isn't what i wanted. I am just happy that i am able to play one of my favorite games until I can get my main rig back on its feet. that is all.

he comes in here saying 

I'm definitely not doing now seeing as the m18x I was gonna sell off got killed by someone's electric problems in their apartment. Gotta replace the motherboard. 

Yeah maybe he was a little, still, I just get tired of people getting attacked for no reason, instead of people being like "Ah cool stuff have fun playing bioshock" they are like "omg go die you wasted money idiot" - I just see it all over the forum now, and it makes me sad

Honestly for what is in a Retina Pro, it is not that expensive, considering everything as a whole, the great display, the  pcie ssds (they are like 1400mbps read and write, now) etc

There are only a few laptops like the razer blade, aorus x3 etc that match the macbook in aesthetics and build, but they suffer badly from thermal throttling so half your GPU performance is wasted anyway 

sorry to hear about the m18x :( that sucks

I cant wait to sell mine, and if Apple released a 15" retina with a 970m, I would be first in line to buy it!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

he comes in here saying 

I'm definitely not doing a macbook now seeing as the m18x I was gonna sell off got killed by someone's electric problems in their apartment. Like a day before I was gonna make the listing, getting my files off, it's dead. Gotta replace the motherboard. Probably gonna get this http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8652-clevo-p650sg-p-7795.html

also i was hoping that people had seen the other post, because that intro played off the other thread fairly well i thought again sorry i caused a scene.

actually no. i mean i knew it but that isn't what i wanted. I am just happy that i am able to play one of my favorite games until I can get my main rig back on its feet. that is all.

I suggest trying an egpu when your rig is back on, because I THINK you have one of the MBPs that can loop it back into the screen, alienware style. I hear for some reason that give a 20% perforamnce hit versus using an external screen for some reason, but still, the option is fucking great. 80% of a desktop gpu and still play in bed is just awesome, and cheap to upgrade down the line. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Yeah maybe he was a little, still, I just get tired of people getting attacked for no reason, instead of people being like "Ah cool stuff have fun playing bioshock" they are like "omg go die you wasted money idiot" - I just see it all over the forum now, and it makes me sad

Honestly for what is in a Retina Pro, it is not that expensive, considering everything as a whole, the great display, the  pcie ssds (they are like 1400mbps read and write, now) etc

There are only a few laptops like the razer blade, aorus x3 etc that match the macbook in aesthetics and build, but they suffer badly from thermal throttling so half your GPU performance is wasted anyway 

I cant wait to sell mine, and if Apple released a 15" retina with a 970m, I would be first in line to buy it!

as would i! but honestly the egpu possibility is so tempting to me. It may be the route I ultimately take to be honest.

His laptop died immediately. mine took a few day since i wan't using it much. First the speakers went out. I thought it was that common spdif port problem. After making sure it was not that, it began to die. Now it stay onf or a bout a minute or so. Probably gonna work on it this week and make sure it's the MB before I order an expensive ass replacement. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I suggest trying an egpu when your rig is back on, because I THINK you have one of the MBPs that can loop it back into the screen, alienware style. I hear for some reason that give a 20% perforamnce hit versus using an external screen for some reason, but still, the option is fucking great. 80% of a desktop gpu and still play in bed is just awesome, and cheap to upgrade down the line. 

yes, this is exactly what i was planning on. Any suggestions for egpu setups? like as far as the best adapter to use? I have found a few but nothing amazing as for as price point.

as would i! but honestly the egpu possibility is so tempting to me. It may be the route I ultimately take to be honest.

Yeah go for it!

My m18x was a chest crushing behemoth in bed. But it had a rare feature only on larger alienware laptops (no longer) and on ONE old clevo- HDMI input. I loved gaming like that so much that I'm going to get a decent screen panel, one of those thinkpad usb keyboards with a nipple mouse, and an lvds controller and make something out of wood that resembles one of those server rack KVM stations so I can do it again!

muh specs 

All parts black

No.things work buttery smooth,cs:go is 300 fps. euro truck sim 95fps,l4d2 100fps

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

No. things work buttery smooth,cs:go is 300 fps. euro truck sim 95fps,l4d2 100fps

yes, this is exactly what i was planning on. Any suggestions for egpu setups? like as far as the best adapter to use? I have found a few but nothing amazing as for as price point.

honestly no. I used to know of some for the old routes like mini pcie and expresscard, but I have not gotten to mess with thunderbolt 2

muh specs 

All parts black

No.I have a gtx 970 and things work buttery smooth,cs:go is 300 fps. euro truck sim 95fps,l4d2 100fps

egpu setup then?

honestly no. I used to know of some for the old routes like mini pcie and expresscard, but I have not gotten to mess with thunderbolt 2

hmm I will have a look around and see if I can scrounge something up. Thanks for the response though

egpu setup then?

I have played around with an low powered Apu and things still work well 40fps around on it in linux and still things work,i mean if you have almost a ton of money spend why not buy a those msi laptops.

1. Reocrd a video

2. If the xbox 360 and ps3 could do infinite, so can your damn macbook. My 2011 laptop can almost max it out at 60 fps. Sure the newer MBP 15 inch versions with the discrete GPus could do well too. And they can use an eGPU, though the ones with discrete cards cant loop back into the screen I think. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GKPwvyfEipw#t=42