Mantle

In my opinion mantle was used to get Microsoft off their lazy butts and actually try with a new API and AMD did a great job of it.

It was a great API and will certainly force DX12 to be good :)

It's a new API, which is a lower level API than DirectX 11. It gives a hefty performance boost, for lower-end CPU's. AMD gets the best benefits, due to their lack of single threaded performance compared to Intel.

There's nothing to think about it tbh, it does it's job rather well. And it gave ol' Microsoft a kick up the arse, and now we have DirectX 12 coming out soon.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

In my opinion mantle was used to get Microsoft off their lazy butts and actually try with a new API and AMD did a great job of it.

It was a great API and will certainly force DX12 to be good :)

you had any experiences of it crashing in BF hardline tho?

Mantle has always worked great for me in Battlefield 4 on a 290x.  Much better performance vs DX11.  The only crashing I have on Frostbite 3 is when I'm pushing high overclocks.

I have read about some with 280's/270's having some issues because the API uses more vram vs dx so on 1gb and 2gb cards the card runs out of memory (apparently).  As far as I know the memory leak with this engine has been fixed.