16gb ram enough for gaming/editing/steaming for it to last 6 years

I am planning to build a mini itx pc on ncase m1. I plan to keep my pc for at least 6 years. its a i7 4790k on a asus z97 impact or z87i deluxe

For editing, more is always better. It'll probably last a long long time though.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

6 years is a long time--hard to tell.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am planning to build a mini itx pc on ncase m1. I plan to keep my pc for at least 6 years. its a i7 4790k on a asus z97 impact or z87i deluxe

It should be able to last the next 6 years, but nobody can know for sure. Its could fail 3 years in, or some new revolutionary program might use more than 16Gb, there is always possibilities. 

16GB is more than enough to handle todays needs and will be set to do you for the future. Although if you are rendering or using RAM intensive programs for you job/education you may wish to think of getting more.

But even then even the professionals today use 32GB in the work place more in specific cases.

"Ordered: 23 Dec 2010" is the date I order my 16GB of DDR3 1600mhz RAM and it will easily serve me for another 3 -4 years . The only issue that a builder faces at the moment is the switch to DDR4. If you can do it now and get 16, you'll probably have 4 slots empty if you use a new high end intel mb and can fill them with ram in another 8 years time to do you longer.

Personally I think 16GB will easily last 5 years from today, my only reason to switch is an entirely ageing system.

I hope that helped.

I'm assuming the limiting factor of that motherboard is just the two RAM slots available?

If RAM for editing and streaming were among your chief concerns, I'd go for something with 4 slots (32 GB).

I'd also make sure I'd pick the fastest RAM I could find.

Personally I think 16GB will easily last 5 years from today, my only reason to switch is an entirely ageing system.

This is nothing against you, but I think that is simply not true at all. 

Everyone seems to underestimate the amount of RAM that systems in the future will use.... 

Check out the systems that were out six years ago, along with the amount of RAM that came with.  It's really astonishing.

Six years ago, Intel released the Core2 Duo Processor E7300.  Systems with that processor were shipping with 1/16th the RAM that the OP is considering for the proposed build.

Gaming, yes.

Rendering/Editing, yes, because if it works now you can use the same programs for years to come.

RAM can always be upgraded if you need more of that.

I cannot say the SYSTEM will last that long though.

GPU could be upgraded, but if NVLink is required for Pascal and onwards, you will be stuck at maxwell or AMD's offerings, assuming they do not require a new bus.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

This is nothing against you, but I think that is simply not true at all. 

Everyone seems to underestimate the amount of RAM that systems in the future will use.... 

Check out the systems that were out six years ago, along with the amount of RAM that came with.  It's really astonishing.

Six years ago, Intel released the Core2 Duo Processor E7300.  Systems with that processor were shipping with 1/16th the RAM that the OP is considering for the proposed build.

It's very true that even today people find they need more than 32GB and others find that they never need more then 4GB. Another factor to consider is a switch in DDR 3 -4.

Though I believe it's a know what you want to do and need, games won't saturate 16GB and it's true the many Chrome tabs can take up GB of memory. Easily lasting may have been a overstatement, but it shouldn't do poorly having 16GB for another few years.

Although the prices are half now compared to when I bought each 4GB stick at about £51, a set of two same specs or higher will cost the same. Paying top money for what was top density at the time (within reason and chosing a brand of coruse) seems to have proven a better way of making it last rather than picking a number within the range and hoping.

I'd edit what I said with it'll do for up to 5 years from now.

And np elkenrod I like to hear the input, it's easy to get carried away and over state. Helps to have some else put things into perspective. Though I'd stick by 16GB for the next 3, I think you'll notice it if you tried for 4th and 5th year.

D2ultima above gives good points.

I wait ddr4 to be more affordable so can build a skylake, broadwell-e/haswell-e, or if amd zen architecture takes ddr4 so i can have 16gb on a single ram stick.  

for all we know there could be something dark and secret in the worst that will change the world of computers and gaming making immersion and realism seem one and the.... but for now i think your safe... 4 years maybe, 6 years i think your pushing it if you still want to play the latest and greatest without lowering everything down to low.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

What gpu?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Enough of all these testimonies. If you are editing, and streaming, and gaming and doing all this, and you don't want to upgrade for 6 years. Get 32GB of RAM. Bottom line. It might be expensive to find 2x16GB, but I would rather be on the safe side.