Dust Hit The Fan!

SilentKiller

As I was upgrading my RAM, I noticed unusually high amounts of dust in my case (CM Storm Trooper). It turned out, that the 2 (unfiltered) fans on the side were intakes, and both the (unfiltered) fan in the back and the HUGE (filtered) fan at the top were both exhausts. I flipped all of them around, because that just made more sense to me. Now the dust shouldn't get sucked in, and trapped... Right?

I just have a few questions:

1. Is my fan configuration and logic alright?
  2. I need to get a filter for the intake at the back. Different filters have meshes which are finer than others. Which one to chose?
  3. Do my temps and speeds check out for idle?
  4. All fans are operational. Why dont they all show up in CPUID?
  5. Before I flipped the fans, my computer made a very low pitched hum. Now, It's higher pitched and sounds like a small room-fan. Is this normal?

Thanks for all your help!

1. Your previous configuration makes more sense.

2. Get filters for all of your intakes.

3. Looks normal.

4. Are all of your fans connected to your motherboard?

5. You probably didn't mount the fans correctly.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1. Your previous configuration makes more sense.

2. Get filters for all of your intakes.

3. Looks normal.

4. Are all of your fans connected to your motherboard?

5. You probably didn't mount the fans correctly.

1. The previous had filtered exhausts and un-filtered intakes. That made more sense?
  2. My biggest intake has a filter. I was asking what kind to get for the one that isnt.
  3. Thanks!
  4. That's probably it. Haven't checked though.
  5. What might have gone wrong?

Thanks again!

1. I tend to go for more positive air pressure. Having more intakes than exhaust, but a big exhaust (usually in rear, but it's up to you and your case design) or at least a large area for air to escape. FILTER ALL AIR INTAKES! This will GREATLY reduce internal dust accumulation.

I use fan filters similar to these and my system stays virtually dust free http://amzn.to/1xrlV3E

Same as above. Those are some nice temps!

So, yeah, make sure those cables are in the mobo or connected through a passthrough.

Make sure there's nothing trapped between the fans and the case b/c vibration is the main cause of noise when it comes to case fans. Are you using rubber fasteners or regular screws? Make sure they're tight. Check and manage cables to be sure none are interfering with the fan blades.

Have a nice day!

Your attitude determines 100% of your life's outcomes. Bad Attitude, bad life. Great attitude, great life.

1. The previous had filtered exhausts and un-filtered intakes. That made more sense?
  2. My biggest intake has a filter. I was asking what kind to get for the one that isnt.
  3. Thanks!
  4. That's probably it. Haven't checked though.
  5. What might have gone wrong?

That makes sense.

The fans are probably not screwed in all the way properly. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1. I tend to go for more positive air pressure. Having more intakes than exhaust, but a big exhaust (usually in rear, but it's up to you and your case design) or at least a large area for air to escape. FILTER ALL AIR INTAKES! This will GREATLY reduce internal dust accumulation.
  2. I use fan filters similar to these and my system stays virtually dust free http://amzn.to/1xrlV3E
  3. Same as above. Those are some nice temps!
  4. So, yeah, make sure those cables are in the mobo or connected through a passthrough.
  5. Make sure there's nothing trapped between the fans and the case b/c vibration is the main cause of noise when it comes to case fans. Are you using rubber fasteners or regular screws? Make sure they're tight. Check and manage cables to be sure none are interfering with the fan blades.

Have a nice day!

Thanks for the reply!

1. So does that mean my case has negative air preassure? Although, I have 2 fans as intake (One is massive) and 2 out?
  2. I was looking at this filter. Is there suck thing as too fine? Would it create too much resistance?
  3. Thanks.
  4. Will do.
  5. Regular screws. I tightened them untill I fellt some resistance, then tightened them a little more. I didn't want to break them.

That makes sense.

The fans are probably not screwed in all the way properly. 

Why would you want to filter exhausts?

How tight do I want to make them?

I was looking at this filter. Is there suck thing as too fine? Would it create too much resistance?

That filter is fine.

Where'd you get the idea to filter exhausts?

The fans should be completely screwed in. Rubber screws are much better in that the fans vibrations won't transfer as much to the case.

That filter is fine.

Where'd you get the idea to filter exhausts?

The fans should be completely screwed in. Rubber screws are much better in that the fans vibrations won't transfer as much to the case.

Exhausts were filtered originally. You said it made more sense.

They are completely screwed in, as in the screw head is touching the case, and so is the fan. However, they are not as tight as I could go.

Exhausts were filtered originally. You said it made more sense.

They are completely screwed in, as in the screw head is touching the case, and so is the fan. However, they are not as tight as I could go.

I meant that what you did with flipping the fans made sense considering the exhausts were previously filtered.

Thanks for the reply!

1. So does that mean my case has negative air preassure? Although, I have 2 fans as intake (One is massive) and 2 out?
  2. I was looking at this filter. Is there suck thing as too fine? Would it create too much resistance?
  3. Thanks.
  4. Will do.
  5. Regular screws. I tightened them untill I fellt some resistance, then tightened them a little more. I didn't want to break them.

1. Technically its neutral? Idk, it depends on your fan speeds. Something like this is a good example of positive air pressure

2. That's an excellent filter, will do just fine.

3. No Problem!  :P

4.---

5. That's right, you don't want to strip the fans mounting system. Consider rubber fasteners or at least some anti vibration o rings like these. Did you check to make sure there were no cables interfering with the fan blades?

Your attitude determines 100% of your life's outcomes. Bad Attitude, bad life. Great attitude, great life.

I held the fan in my hand and it was just as loud. Is it possible that the thick layer of just was actually making the fan quieter?

Thanks guys!

I held the fan in my hand and it was just as loud. Is it possible that the thick layer of just was actually making the fan quieter?

Thanks guys!

I doubt it. If the fan is louder than before, it might have a defect.

Maybe you're right. Not sure I can RMA it though.

I'm just gonna hope it's the first answer from here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2202488/cpu-fan-noisy-cleaning.html . Since this big fan was the main exhaust and there was a filter on it, it was DUSTY. Like the dust was beginning to droop on the tips and the hole must have been a whole mm or two smaller in diameter.

Maybe you're right. Not sure I can RMA it though.

I'm just gonna hope it's the first answer from here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2202488/cpu-fan-noisy-cleaning.html . Since this big fan was the main exhaust and there was a filter on it, it was DUSTY. Like the dust was beginning to droop on the tips and the hole must have been a whole mm or two smaller in diameter.

Pretty sure you can rma the fan if it's being abnormally noisy.

I'm not sure about the truth to the first answer in that thread.

Try these filters for dust: http://www.demcifilter.com/

just search thru the cases and fan filters and maybe your case in in there

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)