290X Lightning or GTX 970 Strix

Price is pretty much the same. I will be upgrading from a gtx 670, and I game at 1440p. Any thoughts on which is a better choice?

I prefer the 970. 

I'd go for the 970, it will use much less power, run cooler, and quieter. (and its nvidia :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Price is pretty much the same. I will be upgrading from a gtx 670, and I game at 1440p. Any thoughts on which is a better choice?

I have the Lightning and love it. Fast, quiet, and runs cool.

The 970 is newer and its NVidia

either way you cant go wrong

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

I say 970... although I don't recommend the asus one. It's good, but other brands will probably be better.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I say 970... although I don't recommend the asus one. It's good, but other brands will probably be better.

like what brand? cus i was checking on the evga one and in the reviews some people say it has coil whining and such, im planning on getting a 970 for january so it would be really helpfull to know witch brand to get

I would go with the G1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

I´ve recently bought a GTX980 STRIX. Awesome card and super silent. Has a special PCB and no coil whine. So a GTX970 STRIX is a good choice.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I own both a 290x Lightning and a gigabyte g1 970, even overclocked to 1600 mhz on the core on the 970, it can't keep up with the lightning at 1200 @ 1440p, at 1080p the 970 would most likely be quicker.

but

It's quieter, uses 1/2 the power, and will be easier to get a second one of without having spacing issues.

PS: when I say quieter, I mean silent.   I can leave every fan in my case at 5 volts, and turn the fan speed all the way down and game for 2+ hours, temps don't go above 78c on the 970, absolutely brilliant.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

like what brand? cus i was checking on the evga one and in the reviews some people say it has coil whining and such, im planning on getting a 970 for january so it would be really helpfull to know witch brand to get

I would go with the G1

It depends on pricing, which varies a lot depending on place and purchase date. I personally find EVGA ugly to look at, and so much more expensive that I forget it right away. That said, the 3 major brands are: MSI Gaming, Gigabyte G1/non-G1, Asus Strix.

1. You want the strix if: you find it beautifull. And you only have an 8 pin connector on your PSU. The "flagship" is that it is the quietest card. But this source says it is not.

If you disconsider this review, you get the strix if: you run a fanless PC AND you are always at idle. Being the quietest model is useless, as you have other things that produce noise in your case; those will be louder than any card at idle anyway, and at load, all cards get noisy.

2. You don't want the G1 from gigabyte. You are effectively paying extra money for a blue LED on the logo and a backplate, compared to the non-g1 windforce.

3. You want the non-g1 from gigabyte if: you want the absolute coolest card, and the absolute highest OCing. Note: watch out for the size of the GPU, it might not fit your case.

BUT, if you plan to SLI or at the very least have a compatible SLI mobo, avoid this card, due to cooling issues in this particular cenario.

4. You want the MSI Gaming if: you want the best overall performance. 2nd place in pretty much any category.

All of that said, they are similar enough for pricing to be the deciding factor. I currently own a non-g1 gigabyte 970. I originally wanted the MSI model; but during Black Friday, it got to a wooping 75$ discount over the MSI, and thus I got it. But if there wasn't such difference, I'd have bought the MSI.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I just got my ASUS gtx970 strix today. Awesome card to say the least. Mine boost clocks to about 1324mhz instead of the normal "1253" that its supposed to and I haven't even touched it yet haha. While boosted to that it only hits roughly 50c and around the 40-50% fan usage. Far Cry 4 maxed out at 1080p is giving around 60fps. Battlefield 4 maxed out gets me around 120+fps. Great card for sure. I did find the single 8pin to be really odd but it's whatever.

It depends on pricing, which varies a lot depending on place and purchase date. I personally find EVGA ugly to look at, and so much more expensive that I forget it right away. That said, the 3 major brands are: MSI Gaming, Gigabyte G1/non-G1, Asus Strix.

1. You want the strix if: you find it beautifull. And you only have an 8 pin connector on your PSU. The "flagship" is that it is the quietest card. But this source says it is not.

If you disconsider this review, you get the strix if: you run a fanless PC AND you are always at idle. Being the quietest model is useless, as you have other things that produce noise in your case; those will be louder than any card at idle anyway, and at load, all cards get noisy.

2. You don't want the G1 from gigabyte. You are effectively paying extra money for a blue LED on the logo and a backplate, compared to the non-g1 windforce.

3. You want the non-g1 from gigabyte if: you want the absolute coolest card, and the absolute highest OCing. Note: watch out for the size of the GPU, it might not fit your case.

BUT, if you plan to SLI or at the very least have a compatible SLI mobo, avoid this card, due to cooling issues in this particular cenario.

4. You want the MSI Gaming if: you want the best overall performance. 2nd place in pretty much any category.

All of that said, they are similar enough for pricing to be the deciding factor. I currently own a non-g1 gigabyte 970. I originally wanted the MSI model; but during Black Friday, it got to a wooping 75$ discount over the MSI, and thus I got it. But if there wasn't such difference, I'd have bought the MSI.

ok ty dude i think i will consider the non g1 or the msi, you think theyll fit in a thermaltake commander?