Cherry G81-3000 Keyboard

Lycr

So, I was working with my dad, pulling some cat5e cables into a server room, and I found this old keyboard. At first it just looked like an old membrane keyboard, after one press of a key told me different, look at the label, it's a Cherry.

Odd, I've never seen a Cherry keyboard before, pull the key cap off and I find white switches, looked liked MX switches, but are actually Cherry MY switches. So I spoke to the IT dude about this keyboard, and he let me have it for the low low price of nothing.

FnY6MDh.jpg

VWcnHye.jpg

dprCa4d.jpg

So I pulled it apart, cleaned it out, put it back together, and it all works :D

rsBE1ry.jpg

The controller just screws on to the bottom of the case and makes contact with the main PCB.

tGcCfMe.jpg

FCEXbJl.jpg

There's only 6 screws holding the PCBs to the case, which just snaps back together.

0gL9gJD.jpg

"Made in Germany, you know the Germans always make good stuff" Overall build quality is not that bad, kinda flimsy compared to the IBM Model M and the Razer Black Widdow I own, but it's still a heap better than my Logitech G110. As for the birthdate, I'm not to sure, the label on the back seems to point to 2000, but the main PCB points towards 1996.

The MY switches have very little resistance, but are still heavier than the blues that I have, until about half way down (actuation point), then they kinda feel spongey.

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.

The Green Machine.

Odd, I've never seen a Cherry keyboard before...

You, sir,must have been living under a rock ! ^^

...btw lovin your eye for detail...

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

Odd' date=' I've never seen a Cherry keyboard before...[/quote'] You, sir,must have been living under a rock ! ^^ ...btw lovin your eye for detail...

Hah, sort of, I'm only really getting into mech keyboards recently, there's still a lot of them I haven't seen yet.

The Green Machine.

Odd, I've never seen a Cherry keyboard before...

You, sir,must have been living under a rock ! ^^

...btw lovin your eye for detail...

He's means an entire keyboard made by Cherry, not just one using Cherry switches. That's not that unusual.

@Lycr & Toby ...k, my bad ^^ ...i remember a time, that was overly consumed by cherry products...but yeah, maybe it was a german thing...i even pulled a folder just for you; here's a cut-out of a price list from '00...

88905260.jpg

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

@Lycr & Toby ...k, my bad ^^ ...i remember a time, that was overly consumed by cherry products...but yeah, maybe it was a german thing...i even pulled a folder just for you; here's a cut-out of a price list from '00...

88905260.jpg

Thanks man, having a look on Google, there's still places that charge that much for one of these keyboards.

The Green Machine.