27 inch 1080p monitor

H0bben

I'm looking for a 27 inch 1080p light gaming monitor. Most of my gaming is done on a Xbox One (reason for 1080p) with a hand full of PC games tossed in (smite, D3, POE, no shooters really).

I was looking at this Benq

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GL2760H-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00IZBIMLK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418940610&sr=1-1&keywords=gl2760hm

But i was watching a Linus tech tips review of a different benq 27inch va panel display and linus mentioned to never buy a large format monitor with TN panel which is what the above link is.

Is a TN panel on a 27 inch monitor really an issue?

I could get this acer instead which is a IPS panel but i was trying to stay under 200$.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5AH2YG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=396HFFY8HJU1L&coliid=I35AGK9KU2IL4T&psc=1

I also found this AOC which boasts a 2ms response time but from everything i have read it seem response time is just a marketing measurement, and Im a bit nervous about a AOC for some reason.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMKOVPQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=396HFFY8HJU1L&coliid=I1ILJ0SS0HZJO5 

Any other recommendations out there?

Thanks,
hob

Speaking as someone who until recently owned two 27" 1080p monitors, you don't want one. The pixels are noticeably big to the point of being irritating. I even toyed with 64x SLI AA because I could and, predictably, it made little difference. At this size you are going to want at the very least 1440p, but ideally 4K since the scaling issues are just non-existent at this size.

Edit: I suppose I still own them since I haven't sold them or given them away yet. I don't use them any more though.

Even if my primary source is an Xbox One? 

I suppose i could shop for a good 24inch monitor, i was thinking it would be nice to have the 27inch on my desk for when i kick back and play my console games.  I'd probably use my 24 inch for my pc stuff but i'm sure id want to see what it all looked like on the 27 if i got one.

hob

Even if my primary source is an Xbox One? 

I suppose i could shop for a good 24inch monitor, i was thinking it would be nice to have the 27inch on my desk for when i kick back and play my console games.  I'd probably use my 24 inch for my pc stuff but i'm sure id want to see what it all looked like on the 27 if i got one.

hob

As long as you're willing to deal with the slightly larger pixels when you're not playing xbox, a 27 inch 1080p would be fine for your uses imo.

It really depends on how far you'll be sitting from the monitor.  If you really "kick back" you'll be fine.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

My face is around 33 Inches away when i "kick Back"  (just measured it). 

I'm torn on the decision now, not sure my PC would run 1440p.

I've got a i5-2400 with a Radeon HD 7850 . . . 

Runs my stuff at 1080 just fine lol.

hob

... with a hand full of PC games tossed in (smite, D3, POE, no shooters really).

Doesn't sound too demanding.  I've got a 1440p monitor running on my gtx 570 (fairly similar in performance to a 7850), and it holds its own.  Not like I play a ton of games anymore, but it was able to do BF3 on medium/high settings and be in the 50 fps range.  

It all depends on what you're looking for.  If you want basically a TV without the input lag to go on your desk, get a 27 inch 1080p monitor.  If you're looking to upgrade your computing experience with some xbox on the side, invest a little more money into a 1440p monitor.  

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

I'm looking for a 27 inch 1080p light gaming monitor. Most of my gaming is done on a Xbox One (reason for 1080p) with a hand full of PC games tossed in (smite, D3, POE, no shooters really).

I was looking at this Benq

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GL2760H-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00IZBIMLK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418940610&sr=1-1&keywords=gl2760hm

But i was watching a Linus tech tips review of a different benq 27inch va panel display and linus mentioned to never buy a large format monitor with TN panel which is what the above link is.

Is a TN panel on a 27 inch monitor really an issue?

I could get this acer instead which is a IPS panel but i was trying to stay under 200$.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5AH2YG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=396HFFY8HJU1L&coliid=I35AGK9KU2IL4T&psc=1

I also found this AOC which boasts a 2ms response time but from everything i have read it seem response time is just a marketing measurement, and Im a bit nervous about a AOC for some reason.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMKOVPQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=396HFFY8HJU1L&coliid=I1ILJ0SS0HZJO5 

Any other recommendations out there?

Thanks,

hob

You'll only need a 900p monitor for Xbox one gaming 

.... Sorry I had too. 

Asus has some beautiful and cheap monitors.