Specs

Socket: 2011-3

Form Factor: microATX

Bios: Dual UEFI BIOS

Chipset: Intel X99

Memory: 4x DDR4, 32GB max.

Storage: 1 x M.2 Socket 3, 1 x SATA Express, 6 x SATA 3.0

Raid: 0, 1, 5, 10

PCI-e: x16 3.0, x1 2.0, x16 3.0, x8 3.0 (from top to bottom with 40-lane CPU)

Link Interface: ATi Crossfire, NVidia SLI

Ethernet: 1 x 1Gbps Killer NIC E2201

WiFi: 1 x M.2 Socket 1 connector (WiFi card not included)

Bluetooth: No

USB: 10 x USB 2.0 (6 rear IO, 4 header), 8 x USB 3.0 (4 rear IO, 4 header)

PS/2: Yes (both keyboard and mouse)

Audio chip: Realtek ALC1150

Got my board today, here's a mini-review / first impressions:

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-box.jpg

Is a box

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-small.jpg

Love how this board looks  B)

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-accessories.jpg

Accessories: Manual, quickstart guide, driver disk, SLI connector, IO shield, stickers, and 4 Sata cables

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-rear-IO.jpg

Rear connectors, that small bracket to the right of the audio jacks is for mounting WiFi antennas

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-Sata.jpg

Sata connectors, note the single Sata Express connector there in the middle

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-top-small.jpg

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-bottom-small.jpg

Backside, cause why not. View full size (3000 x 2861) here: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/29ecm79ccu07avs/Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-bottom.jpg

My custom-designed case isn't done yet so I replaced my EVGA X99 Micro on the test bench:

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-Build-1.jpg

Love that the CPU socket is higher up on the motherboard, on the EVGA the socket is too close to the top PCIe slot so I couldn't use my Noctua C12

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-Build-2.jpg

The bottom of the RAM slots don't have clips so removing the RAM doesn't require removing the top video card, unlike the EVGA  :)

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-Build-rear-IO.jpg

Unfortunately Gigabyte went with the Killer NIC on this board so I used the empty middle slot for a real NIC :P

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-Build-upright.jpg

Lookin good

Gigabyte-X99M-Gaming-5-desk.jpg

Almost there, just need a proper desk, second monitor, and my case :D

Overall I'm really liking this board so far, I think this is the best choice for mATX X99 currently available, much better than the EVGA I was using. Especially the CPU socket and RAM slot placement makes it much easier to work with.

I'm also really happy that the USB DAC-up feature works, my Schiit Modi is intermittent on an Asus Z87 Impact and completely unuseable on the EVGA but seems to work fine on the Gigabyte, I only tested for half an hour though so we'll see if it's stable in the long run.

Sadly only the CPU fan header is actually PWM, all the other fan headers are voltage control only :(

Speaking of the CPU fan connector, it's awkwardly placed between the socket and the top PCIe slot, making it somewhat difficult to get to with a large air cooler and video card installed. I'd rather have it along the top edge of the board where it usually goes.

And speaking of badly placed connectors, it's such a waste that Gigabyte went to the trouble of wiring up the bottom slot for PCIe 3.0 x8 (unlike the ASRock boards) so it's useable for spaced SLI like I'm doing but then placed both USB 3.0 headers along the bottom edge rendering them worthless to me.

I'll try overclocking this weekend, I didn't have time today.

One possible fix for the USB3 header issues would be a low profile extension/adapter like this: http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%252dPin-Internal-Header-MF-Extension-Cable-%28Low-Profile-Connector%29.html

Not sure if there is enough clearance though.

Nice overview though, seems like it might be the best option for mATX X99.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I think that one will fit but I'm skeptical of its performance, USB 3.0 cables are thick due to all the shielding and that extension has none.

I may need some adapters from them in the near future though so I may go ahead and get one of those extensions to see how it does.

• 11 months later...

I'm looking at this board for a potential build in the future, but I'm wondering how the WiFi works? There's an m.2 slot for wifi, but there's no m.2 wifi cards? How does this work?

ASU

I'd recommend the ASUS X99-M WS over this board. The ASUS comes with dual Intel NICs, much better fan control, and a WiFi card for not that much more money.