Shure SRH-1540 Review

Octavialicious

shure-srh1540-2.jpg

After using these headphones for about two months now, I decided to put all of my admiration for them into a review. I'm not a super experienced audiophile nor am I a good writer, so try to bare with me :P

Basic Info:

- Closed
- Signature is neutral with added warm bass (not too much)

- 3.5mm connection, comes with adapter if you want to use 1/4

- Comes with two cables for the headphones in case you need an extra one ($30+ for a replacement)
- 2 Pairs of Alcantara Pads

- Hard Storage Case

- $499 on Amazon

shure-srh-1540-box-1500x1000.jpg?ver=109

Comfort

These are basically the most comfortable headphones you will find. They are extremely light, and I can wear them for 12+ hours without noticing them. The alcantara pads are SUPER soft and the material is soft, and they don't make you sweat. There is also pads filled with foam on the top that are comfortable even for big heads. 
They also adjust easily, and they have airplane grade steel for the adjustments so they won't break.

Highs 

These are the perfect highs for me. They are crystal clear, but they are not irritating! I have extremely sensitive ears, and even super treble is bearable. It's always there and you can hear all of it, but it's not to the point where it's annoying. Perfect! Also, they are soo crisp. Every little detail....

Mids

Good clear mids, they are definitely there and they sound great. Not much I can say about it really,

Bass

Now, these are the reason these really shine. The bass is so natural and warm, but it doesn't distort anything. It's a phenomenal experience and that's why I spent so much on these. You can be listening to super bassy stuff, but the trebles sound as lovely as ever. It's so deep and it reaches into your soul, but without it being over bassy. It is just so warm and it's so good. Combine with a 3db bass boost and these are amazing to listen to edm with, which is how I usually use them for.

Gaming

These are a great option for that. I've owned 7.1 surround headphones in the past and that's a bunch of baloney. These are so good for CS:GO etc, they tell you exactly where people are!

Seal

Great! These headphones have very little clamp force and are so comfortable, but yet they let no sound at and the pad touches you all the way around, so it feels awesome and the bass has a nice impact!

Overall Experience

For the price, they simply cannot be beat. They used to rival the HD 650s at $500 Dollars, but they absolutely demolished in my testing. But not the 650s are down to 300-400 which is their rightful place. This adds amazing sound quality, phenomenal comfort, and a bunch of extras all for a reasonable price.

DAC

A Dac/Amp would be a good option for these headphones. You don't need anything crazy for them, and I use & recommend the FiiO E10K if you don't want to spend too much. They get the proper power they need, and it has a switch for the 3db bass boost which is great for edm!

Cons

Besides the hefty price tag, I find little to no cons. Unless you need an analytical sound signature, these are good for any genre. The warm bass is awesome for any genre and doesn't overwhelm at all, but yet if you want to listen to EDM these things can shine too. These are obviously closed, but they definitely have a good soundstage and can sound open at times.

Almost forgot, they are almost too good! If you listen to a terribly mastered song, it will sound like garbage. But that's a problem with all expensive headphones :P

Verdict

Amazing headphones. These headphones are the best you can get for 500 dollars, and if you care about your music I say this is a worthy purchase. Shure has great customer support and is a trust worthy company for all your sound needs.

Big 10/10!

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

:D

nice review

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

:D

nice review

Thanks! :D Anything I should add? I haven't made any reviews before :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Thanks! :D Anything I should add? I haven't made any reviews before :P

I haven't made any reviews either so I wouldn't know xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I am fussy when it comes to the layout, quality and well written reviews and you sir did a fine job at meeting my expectations. Top job! :)

@

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I haven't made any reviews either so I wouldn't know xD

So, you almost have 11,000 posts and in all that time you have not written a SINGLE REVIEW!!! :huh: :o :angry:

Eh...neither have I. :P:D

lol, they take a lot of time so I try to hide from them :) @Geekazoid

Sorry, forgot to quote you :P

lol, they take a lot of time so I try to hide from them :) @Geekazoid

Sorry, forgot to quote you :P

That they do. ;)

I'll let you off with a caution this time, but next you mightn't be so lucky. Mwahahahahaaa! :P

The first time i saw this headphones the first thing that came to my mind was "these headphones seem extremely comfortable"
If they are as comfy as they look, then there are probably one of the most comfortable headphones i know. 

The first time i saw this headphones the first thing that came to my mind was "these headphones seem extremely comfortable"

If they are as comfy as they look, then there are probably one of the most comfortable headphones i know. 

Indeed, sometimes I'll just take them off and put them back on because the feeling of the foam is sooo nice!

Oh, i forgot to ask. You say "These headphones are the best you can get for 500 dollars"
so, have you tried many other headphones or you just saying that because other people, who tried many other headphones, said it?
Just to be clear, i do believe you, i'm just curious what are the other headphones you are comparing to the shures. 

Oh, i forgot to ask. You say "These headphones are the best you can get for 500 dollars"

so, have you tried many other headphones or you just saying that because other people, who tried many other headphones, said it?

Just to be clear, i do believe you, i'm just curious what are the other headphones you are comparing to the shures. 

HD 700s, HD 650s, Parrot Ziks, HD 600s, and some other ones. The only other decent opponent would be the HiFiMan products, but I have not heard those and speaking I hate open headphones, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. There is also these Ultrasone headphones around this price range, but according to almost everybody they suck terrible so, ya :P

HD 700s, HD 650s, Parrot Ziks, HD 600s, and some other ones. The only other decent opponent would be the HiFiMan products, but I have not heard those and speaking I hate open headphones, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. There is also these Ultrasone headphones around this price range, but according to almost everybody they suck terrible so, ya :P

Hmmm very interesting...! So it's a great pair of headphones :D 

I would choose the Shures any day instead of the super heavy HiFiMANs. 

I wanted something better than my HD600 and the Shures were in my list, but i think i'll keep my money for the HD800. I will save money for a looong time, but i want to get some flagship headphones.