Part BitFenix Part Parvum

JonU

Well, I've been planning this for probably the last few months and wasn't planning to start until January, but push came to shove when my current desktop decided it was time to die. It has run reliably the last 5 years for me so I'm pretty satisfied with it. While I wasn't deployed it was running pretty much 24/7. Now I'm about to be starting college and want to upgrade. I'm also going to be doing a build right about the same time for my nephew so he can play a couple games with me. Anyways, I went ahead and took advantage of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to get the bare minimum I need for a running desktop until next month when the big order gets put through. Both builds are going to be ITX builds, my nephew liked the BitFenix Prodigy, so I went and ordered it (in white) along with a Pentium G3258, G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB), an 840 EVO 500GB SSD, and a Maximus VII Impact. I'll be carrying over the Impact and the SSD to what will be my computer once all is said and done, while the other items will be used when I get my nephew's built. I've already received the case earlier today and the rest of the stuff will be arriving later in the week. Anyways here are the two lists for the two builds. Some of the items on my build will probably be a little ways down the road (i.e. the sim seat and wheel), but the computer itself will be completely done sometime next month.

What will be used in my completed build:

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $212.99) 
Memory: Mushkin Redline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $189.99) 
Monitor: Asus VG278HE 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($368.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($189.99 @ NCIX US) 
Other: Thrustmaster T500RS ($588.00)
Other: RSeat RS Formula V2 ($1400.00)
Other: BitsPower Full MB block M7I ($132.99)
Other: EKWB GTX980 Waterblock ($127.99)
Other: EK DDC X-res top w/ 3.2 PWM pump ($134.99)
Other: Prolimatech Vortex slim 120mm fan x2 ($39.98)
Other: Alphacool 120mm thin radiator x2 ($79.98)
Other: NB 80mm fan ($18.99)
Other: Logitech G502 Proteus Core ($78.69)
Other: Parvum Systems ITX case ($200.00)
Total: $4468.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 23:18 EST-0500

What will be used in my nephew's completed build:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  (Purchased For $69.99) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($122.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card  ($144.99 @ Directron) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $69.99) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.42 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $702.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 23:16 EST-0500

That's a g3250 not a 3258?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Where the hell did you get the itx version? I have been looking for months

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Looks good .. get a better psu (brand)

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

They will launch it very very soon, itll be available on their website

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

That's a g3250 not a 3258?

I hadn't noticed that, but yes I went with the 3258. I must have clicked the wrong add button at the time I was putting that list together and not noticed

Looks good .. get a better psu (brand)

Which one? Seasonic is a very good brand and that particular power supply has been rated very well in all the reviews I could find. The Silverstone was tested over at jonnyguru and received a recommended. I really don't know of any better option for an SFX power supply that I'll have to have for the Parvum case. If you have some ideas let me know and I'll check them out.

I've talked to them off and on the last few months. I haven't purchased it yet, but I once I put my money where my mouth is, I'm pretty sure I can get one sent out. It will take some extra time and most likely I'll be waiting on that to actually get the computer built. I was hoping to try getting one ordered this month, but that money got diverted to what I ordered over the last few days. It has had some minor revisions but it is definitely still a tiny case. I'll dig through my emails and find the link to what the ITX will be looking like. Here is a link to the build thread over on bit-tech: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=277202 

This is what I was told about the current ITX case (and I quote):

"Actually since the ITX I built (imersa) a fair bit has changed. New spec roughly:

Any length GPU (Within reason) 980 etc fine. 
SFX PSU only
SSD Mounts only (1 x mech drive will fit but will need to be placed by user)
1 x 120mm front fan (perfect for 120mm AIO cooler). 1 x 80mm exhaust

You can fit a second 120mm in that PSU panel, just.. you need a lot of skill/luck on your side to get the loop to connect. The first little blue one I built had a 120mm in that spot. I had to use a 15mm fan however. "

Which one? Seasonic is a very good brand and that particular power supply has been rated very well in all the reviews I could find. The Silverstone was tested over at jonnyguru and received a recommended. I really don't know of any better option for an SFX power supply that I'll have to have for the Parvum case. If you have some ideas let me know and I'll check them out.

Oh im so sorry didnt read the SFX in your powersupply, then youre all set to go!

SSD Mounts only (1 x mech drive will fit but will need to be placed by user)
1 x 120mm front fan (perfect for 120mm AIO cooler). 1 x 80mm exhaust

NO!!!!!!!!

I wanted to custom loop in it. Guess its back to plan B

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

NO!!!!!!!!

I wanted to custom loop in it. Guess its back to plan B

It's possible to do a custom loop, it's just going to be a very tight fit. If you look at the build Imersa did (that was the first prototype), he did a custom loop using 2 120mm radiators. One is up front and the other was located on the PSU side panel. They don't do the cutout for a fan there now, but if you want to try squeezing one in there, they will make the fan cutout if you request it; it's on you to figure out how to make it work though. This is a recent build thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18614540&page=4

this is the custom loop he had once it was finished

MinibutMightyLeakTest-1websize.jpg

I'm planning on using a small pump with a small res and two slim radiators. The one on the side will most likely have to use a slim fan as well, but the front will fit a normal 120mm fan.

Oh im so sorry didnt read the SFX in your powersupply, then youre all set to go!

No problems! By the way, I noticed the build in your sig, I had seen it earlier over on the bit-tech forums and look forward to seeing how it goes :)

So this arrived yesterday:

20141201_172014.jpg

And then this stuff arrived today:

20141202_152557.jpg

The motherboard should arrive sometime tomorrow and then I can get a temporary setup running until I get everything else ordered in January.

So the motherboard arrived and I got to work getting everything together. It wasn't all that difficult since I mounted everything on the motherboard before going into the case. What i didn't realize was how hard the power/reset button was going to be once in the case. I've also managed to get a nice stable 4Ghz OC on the box cooler with temps staying under 70 during stress testing. I still need to see how much further I can drop voltage, but currently I'm sitting at 1.95v. Anyways, here are some pics. I'm hoping to have better pics soon once i get the battery for my nikon charged. Also running integrated graphics since the PSU I borrowed didn't have the right 8 pin connector to plug in my GPU.

20141203_153058.jpg

20141203_155017.jpg

The Ripjaws just barely fit in there.

20141203_155815.jpg

20141203_163556.jpg

Specs.png

Coming soon: A modular power supply and a little further away will be some cable sleeving.

After some more work and lots of crashing I'm running stable at 4.3GHz. I'm still trying to fine tune the voltage but I've pulled it down quite a bit. It was taking 1.28 volts just to get windows to load and start stability tests. You can see how much I've dropped the voltage since backing off to 4.3. I think that 4.3 is the sweet spot since it takes so much additional voltage to get up to 4.4. Of course that might change a little once I get a GPU in and stop running onboard graphics, but I'm honestly not sure how much that will impact the OC ability. Should also add that this is on a stock cooler and temps stayed under 80 degrees.

Overclock.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update! I just ordered a bunch of parts for the two computers. I still have some more stuff to go, but here is are the two lists as they stand at the moment. I'm not too worried about getting the seat and steering wheel at the moment since I tore my ACL and will be getting surgery soon to fix that. The water cooling components will get changed around a little once I settle on which version of the Parvum Systems ITX case I want to get.

My Nephew:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  (Purchased For $69.99) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $73.37) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $109.99) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Orange) Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $69.99) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $76.99) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $92.00) 
Total: $717.33

My Computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $299.99) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $212.99) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $169.99) 
Storage: Plextor M6e 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $219.99) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $189.99) 
Monitor: Asus VG278HE 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  (Purchased For $368.99) 
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: Thrustmaster T500RS ($588.00)
Other: RSeat RS Formula V2 ($1400.00)
Other: BitsPower Full MB block M7I ($132.99)
Other: EKWB GTX980 Waterblock ($127.99)
Other: EK DDC X-res top w/ 3.2 PWM pump ($134.99)
Other: Prolimatech Vortex slim 120mm fan x2 ($39.98)
Other: Alphacool 120mm thin radiator x2 ($79.98)
Other: NB 80mm fan ($18.99)
Other: Parvum Systems ITX case ($200.00)
Other: Logitech G502 Proteus Core (Purchased For $59.99)
Total: $4564.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 16:22 EST-0500

Parts are going to start coming in today and most of the stuff will be here by Saturday minus a few items. I accidentally shipped one package to a friend in texas, so that will delay things a little, but all the important bits are going to the right place. I'll update this with high quality pics using my DSLR over the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Just waiting on my bending stuff now.

0112152353.jpg

I just got my bending stuff today and hope to post an update tomorrow. I have my DSLR ready to go, but unfortunately I don't have the greatest of lighting so the pictures aren't as nice as I would like. Here is the final pic from my phone the rest will be from the camera. On that note, are there any better sites to use than photobucket?

0116151748.jpg

• 2 months later...

So this has been moving much, much more slowly than anticipated. I need to update this with pictures and should be able to Friday. I have managed to get everything in place and even made all the tubing runs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get all the connections 100% leak free. I'm positive that it is due to the tubes not lining up perfectly, so I ordered some flexible tubing and appropriate fittings. My plan is to run the flexible tubing for now and revisit the hard lines when I have more free time. Right now going to school full time, working part time, and taking care of a puppy takes up a majority of my free time. I have gained even more appreciation for those that have done hard lines after trying it myself. I do have one question for anyone that may read this. I initially planned to sleeve all my cables in white for a little contrast. After having had the tubing in (which is white), I'm not so sure if I want to sleeve them. I still need to shorten some cables, but I think the black does a good job of blending into the background. It almost seems as if they aren't there. So what do you guys think, leave them how they are, or sleeve them white. I need to adjust the length of the PCI power cable where it pigtails.

0312152009.jpg

How crazy on a website like this I find another guy from TN, who rides moto, going to school, into watercooling, and has a puppy (mine is fresh 1 yr old, how old is yours?). That seems like such a specific niche I was pretty sure I was unique!

Really liked the look of the bends, bummer that isn't working out. Hopefully the soft tubing runs play nicely for you. As far as sleeving I'm a suck for really clean looks so I'd stick with black personally. Not sure if you are trying to make it all black/white but if you want to make the cables stand out get them in a super bright color for stupid bright contrast.

How crazy on a website like this I find another guy from TN, who rides moto, going to school, into watercooling, and has a puppy (mine is fresh 1 yr old, how old is yours?). That seems like such a specific niche I was pretty sure I was unique!

Really liked the look of the bends, bummer that isn't working out. Hopefully the soft tubing runs play nicely for you. As far as sleeving I'm a suck for really clean looks so I'd stick with black personally. Not sure if you are trying to make it all black/white but if you want to make the cables stand out get them in a super bright color for stupid bright contrast.

My puppy is a 5 month old Bloodhound. I'm really hoping the soft tubing solves the issue. First time, I made the mistake of not putting the O rings on the back side of the fittings (between the fitting and block). Now, it is down to some really slow leaks that I can only attribute to tubing being at a slight angle and causing bad seals. I was going for a nice clean look and originally thought that white cables would look great. But now that I've had the tubing in there, I really think the black wiring works really well. It doesn't draw attention away from the water cooling stuff. I also got a couple of white LED lights that I'm going to use in an effort to light the front of the case. My goal is for the Parvum logo on the front to be evenly illuminated.