mITX Motherboard Suggestions

I just preordered the NCASE M1 so I'm finally going to build the mITX machine I've been wanting.

As of now I am planing to buy a 4790/k because I tend to do more than just game on my machine. I haven't decided if I will overclock or not so I was hoping I could get some recommendations on what motherboard I should buy for either build. I've looked for mITX motherboard reviews but haven't found them very helpful.

Not that it's particularly relevant here but I'm also considering moving it to an FTZ01 when/if that case is ever released. I'm planning on putting in a 980 (not sure which) along with the SilverStone SX600-G. From what I've read it seems like any RAM is acceptable provided it's at least 1600MHz. I haven't decided on a cooler but I'm hoping to keep the machine as quite as possible. I'm hoping to keep the overall build cost somewhere under/around 2000 USD.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good reliable motherboard? Any advice would be appreciated.

Budget? there are options from $120-$230.

I'm open to suggestions. I think my 2k budget for a mITX build is pretty generous and allows me a bit of wiggle room on components. More specifically I haven't put a limit on the motherboard because I honestly don't know what a reasonable one costs. 

Asus Z97 Impact is most feature rich, but also the most expensive. Other itx boards from MSI, ASRock and Gigabyte are very similar overclock and feature-wise. $130-$150 should give you a very good one. 

I'm open to suggestions. I think my 2k budget for a mITX build is pretty generous and allows me a bit of wiggle room on components. More specifically I haven't put a limit on the motherboard because I honestly don't know what a reasonable one costs. 

These are three pretty good ones at different prices:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97nwifi

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97iplus

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusviiimpact

If your case has a side-panel, that will also be a factor because looks are important to many people. I would personally go with the first one because it is significantly cheaper and pretty close in features.

Well, It really just depends which one of the three above cost the least on black friday

Also ASUS's POSIDEON 980 looks awesome

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

These are three pretty good ones at different prices:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97nwifi

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97iplus

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusviiimpact

If your case has a side-panel, that will also be a factor because looks are important to many people. I would personally go with the first one because it is significantly cheaper and pretty close in features.

Thanks for the options. After looking at the impact it seems like it might be a bit of overkill. I'm not particularly concerned with looks, I prefer cases without windows. 

Is there a manufacturer to avoid?

Thanks for the options. After looking at the impact it seems like it might be a bit of overkill. I'm not particularly concerned with looks, I prefer cases without windows. 

I would generally stay away from biostar and asrock; they have good feature for the price but have iffy quality, so they are only ok for low budget builds. The best motherboard brads are asus, evga, msi, and gigabyte followed by asrock then biostar. Anything on on that list should never be used under and circumstances.

The big four are all good. So, it's down to particular features. Like ASrock Z97E-itx/ac has sata express and m.2. Gigabyte and MSI itx boards has 2 LAN ports, if you find the extra one useful.

I would generally stay away from biostar and asrock; they have good feature for the price but have iffy quality, so they are only ok for low budget builds. The best motherboard brads are asus, evga, msi, and gigabyte followed by asrock then biostar. Anything on on that list should never be used under and circumstances.

Why so much hatred on ASRock???? Although I admit its BIOS is a bit suck.  :lol:

EVGA boards are very good and looks damn sexy, but too expensive for the features it offers.

Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated. I really like the mITX form factor but the information out there is pretty limited still.

Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated. I really like the mITX form factor but the information out there is pretty limited still.

There are not so many Z97 itx boards.  Every brand has only 1-2 versions. :lol:

There are not so many Z97 itx boards.  Every brand has only 1-2 versions. :lol:

There's just not any real word if any of them are any good or one should be picked over another. It's been awhile since I built my last machine and I felt like back then manufactures were more hit/miss. 

There's just not any real word if any of them are any good or one should be picked over another. It's been awhile since I built my last machine and I felt like back then manufactures were more hit/miss. 

Really, Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte and ASRock all make very good quality mobo now. It is down to minor things like how many sata ports or USB 3.0 you need. Or one has a better sound card(chip), more fan headers, etc. Except Asus Impact, which has everything, but expensive. One note, Asus has the best BIOS, follows by Gigabyte. If you think that is important in term of overclocking and case fan control. Other thing to consider maybe customer service. Which Asus has a bad reputation.