200mbps vs 500mbps Powerline

TannerThanU

Havent found a thread on this, but I need a powerline adapter for my setup.

My computer is 2 stories from my router and wireless is spotty and so Im asking if a 200mbps will do the job for a 3/.3mbps connection or would I need a 500mbps one?

as for products im looking at this 200mbps adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166091&cm_re=powerline_adapter-_-33-166-091-_-Product

for 500mbps:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416768657&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter

Which one should I get?

I also see the main thing being gaming, my ping is currently around 74ms for most games, and would this be a signifiant drop using an adapter?

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

200 might be enough, because 200 megabits are 25 megabytes, and 500 megabits are 62.5 megabytes. You're asking for 3 megabits per second and that's 0.375 megabytes, even if you ask for 3 megabytes per second, 200 megabits per second powerline adapters will be enough.

I have Asus PL-X52P powerline adapters and they work fine. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

@TannerThanU

Wait, doesn't network operate at the speed of the weakest link in the chain, and you can only do 10Mb, 100Mb, 1Gb or 10Gb?

In that case, your network would operate at 100 megabit anyway.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Get whatever, but make sure what you're buying is reliable and will last long enough.

Sig under construction.

Get whatever, but make sure what you're buying is reliable and will last long enough.

Okay, is the rosewill one reliable?

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

The speeds will be the same, both the 200 and 500 use 10/100 Ethernet at either end. with power-line adapters the listed speeds are the 'up to' bandwidth between the adapters.

i have a 500 Mbps kit for my rooms Ethernet and i get 282 Mbps between them but on a 10/100 connection from either end.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBPLI48 - this kit from tp-link (600 Mbps) uses 100/1000 but is a good $50 more.

edit. out of the two you listed id go for the 500 Mbps from TP-Link.

Be the broken or the breaker. Be the giver or the undertaker. Unlock and open the door. Be the healer or the faker.