Diceair

Hi there.

I have this weird issue with my 4790k. First off my specs

16GB Adata ddr3 2400mhz ram

h100i

MSI z97 gaming 5

2x r9 280x

qnix qx2710 2560x1440@96Hz

Now the problem i have is even on stock my cpu will not be stable unless I set my computer to the performance power profile. All drivers up to date and so on. I did a reset on bios same issue so everything running on stock. i had my cpu stable on 4.6GHz 1.23V and about 2-3 weeks ago I started having this issue and i just reverted everything to default then I still get crashes even when on desktop doing nothing I will come home and my pc freeze but like I said after setting my power to performance mode it all works fine.

So what could it be? i would love to overclock this cpu but now not even able to get it on stock. I actually don't know if it's worth overclocking this cpu but I sure can feel some sort of improved smoothness when it was on 4.6GHz vs 4.4GHz. So can someone suggest me what is wrong with my setup?

CPU temps = 65C max with h100i on Quiet mode

Sounds like you might have pushed it too hard bro. Try using another CPU if you have one just to see whether it works alright. Otherwise I'd just leave it on performance mode and play it safe with no OC.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I decided to set my memory to 1600mhz default speed and set my pc to balance mode on desktop will see how it goes