Build your own laptop ?

sebastien calvignac
Go to solution Solved by deadaccount69,

You *could* but it isn't a great idea. Ben Heck has done several laptops of consoles for example. But not a single one has been practical. Trying to make a laptop would be just as impractical.

Im wondering if it is possible to build your own laptop the same way one can build a rig. Choosing the parts setting up cooling and the main difference being that i would have to design the laptop shell.

Let me know your thoughts on it and how difficult this would be. Thank you !

nigh on impossible, you can change a few thing (RAM, HDD.,SSD etc) but not like build one from scratch 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

It is possible to build one from scratch, but theres no point... It will cost alot and take a long time

It seems impossible until it's done.

nigh on impossible, you can change a few thing (RAM, HDD.,SSD etc) but not like build one from scratch 

why not ?

It is possible to build one from scratch, but theres no point... It will cost alot and take a long time

Do laptops use standard motherboards ?

Not usually and because each laptop has a specific case made for it, it is near impossible to modify an existing one to meet what you need.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Im wondering if it is possible to build your own laptop the same way one can build a rig. Choosing the parts setting up cooling and the main difference being that i would have to design the laptop shell.

Let me know your thoughts on it and how difficult this would be. Thank you !

Basically don't do it man its never going to be worth it. The closest you can get is a custom builder like ibuypower.com

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

nope

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

You *could* but it isn't a great idea. Ben Heck has done several laptops of consoles for example. But not a single one has been practical. Trying to make a laptop would be just as impractical.

No.

This is the main reason why it is impractical to build your own laptop.. 

In theory, you could take some very precise measurements of a laptop's motherboard and then make (3D print, probably) a custom body for it, but it isn't practical at all.. Unless you really know what you're doing, you'd probably run into too many issues for it to even work.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Closest you can get is a barebones msi, but mobo, screen usually already in, you put cpu, ram, gpu in

Clevo barebones are the same. They're what Sager, Malibal, sometimes iBuypower, etc use. 

Clevo barebones are the same. They're what Sager, Malibal, sometimes iBuypower, etc use. 

Xoticpc is only place i know that lets you do this and build your own

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

custom print pcb(requires computer engineering skills), souter on parts like transistors and capasitors, custom cpu cooler, 3d printing the computer shell, and a bunch of other stuff. so yeah if u have the skill

Xoticpc offers some clevo models that are Completely barebones, however the motherboard is standard. You do know that this will end up costing you twice as much, and finding parts that are compatible is really hard. For example, mxm graphics cards are usually sold by very very few manufacturers, and laptop processors cost a lot more than they should don't ask me why. You would be better off getting a new laptop from msi or Asus. Even the new alienware that just came out seems like a good deal imo

Xoticpc offers some clevo models that are Completely barebones, however the motherboard is standard. You do know that this will end up costing you twice as much, and finding parts that are compatible is really hard. For example, mxm graphics cards are usually sold by very very few manufacturers, and laptop processors cost a lot more than they should don't ask me why. You would be better off getting a new laptop from msi or Asus. Even the new alienware that just came out seems like a good deal imo

Clevo notebooks often offer some of the best performance for the money you'll find anywhere if you get one built for you. Take an MSI or Asus of your choosing and customize a comparable Sager (Clevo) on Xoticpc and you'll probably find that the Sager costs a lot less.

Clevo notebooks often offer some of the best performance for the money you'll find anywhere if you get one built for you. Take an MSI or Asus of your choosing and customize a comparable Sager (Clevo) on Xoticpc and you'll probably find that the Sager costs a lot less.

Right, but op wants to build one, and not have a store build it for him.

Well yea, but you said he might be better off going with an Msi, Asus, or Alienware. I'm saying a Sager or some other re-branded Clevo (Malibal, etc...) might also be a good option in that case. 

• MultiQuote

Not usually and because each laptop has a specific case made for it, it is near impossible to modify an existing one to meet what you need.

Basically don't do it man its never going to be worth it. The closest you can get is a custom builder like ibuypower.com

nope

Closest you can get is a barebones msi, but mobo, screen usually already in, you put cpu, ram, gpu in

No.

This is the main reason why it is impractical to build your own laptop.. 

In theory, you could take some very precise measurements of a laptop's motherboard and then make (3D print, probably) a custom body for it, but it isn't practical at all.. Unless you really know what you're doing, you'd probably run into too many issues for it to even work.

Xoticpc is only place i know that lets you do this and build your own

custom print pcb(requires computer engineering skills), souter on parts like transistors and capasitors, custom cpu cooler, 3d printing the computer shell, and a bunch of other stuff. so yeah if u have the skill

Right, but op wants to build one, and not have a store build it for him.

Well yea, but you said he might be better off going with an Msi, Asus, or Alienware. I'm saying a Sager or some other re-branded Clevo (Malibal, etc...) might also be a good option in that case. 

Thank you all very much for your help ! So it seems it is beyond practical to build my own laptop and to be honest the only reason i even thought about it is when i told my computer friend that i had built my own PC he then asked me if it was a laptop or a desktop. At first i thought it was ridiculous but then i thought a second time so i couldn't resist to ask !

So after all i guess it was ridiculous :D Thank you anyways !