Compression Fittings vs Barb FIttings

Spev

Bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NODF1Y0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9HWLQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I was just wondering these compression fittings are more safe/secure than doing a barb fitting, because with barb it seems like you can fit more of the tubing on, and attach a zip tie or metal clamp very tight. I wasn't sure if these would be secure as that, or if they are mostly for looks. Thanks.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

They do the same job, but I feel safer with compression fittings. A lot of it is looks though. Unless you do some modding or something, compression fittings look much better than barbs. 

They do the same job, but I feel safer with compression fittings. A lot of it is looks though. Unless you do some modding or something, compression fittings look much better than barbs. 

I totally agree that they look better. Maybe I just need to get this in the mail and check it out. I've never owned one before, previously I was using zip ties with barb fittings lol. But I literally never had a problem in 3+ years. I think the main reason I feel it looks "less secure" to me is because you put less of the tubing on it, seems like literally half as much as you would shove onto a barb fitting as they look much longer.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NODF1Y0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9HWLQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I was just wondering these compression fittings are more safe/secure than doing a barb fitting, because with barb it seems like you can fit more of the tubing on, and attach a zip tie or metal clamp very tight. I wasn't sure if these would be secure as that, or if they are mostly for looks. Thanks.

Barbs are fine if you secure the tube enough. 

Compressions are barbs that have a built in securing mechanism. As long as you check them when your filling the system, after you've bled the system and then a day or two later. 

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Barbs are fine if you secure the tube enough. 

Compressions are barbs that have a built in securing mechanism. As long as you check them when your filling the system, after you've bled the system and then a day or two later. 

Cool, thank you. As I mentioned above the only reason it seems "less secure" to me is because you push less of the tubing onto it compared to some of the barb fittings I've seen. 

I'll probably leave some paper towel over my GPU for a few days to ensure no leaking. 

There's nothing wrong with barb fittings especially with you use 7/16 tubing with 1/2 barbs. You won't even need to secure it lol. Compression fittings are much more convenient. BTW, if it doesn't leak in 20 minutes its probably fine. But there's nothing wrong with being safe.

There's nothing wrong with barb fittings especially with you use 7/16 tubing with 1/2 barbs. You won't even need to secure it lol. Compression fittings are much more convenient. BTW, if it doesn't leak in 20 minutes its probably fine. But there's nothing wrong with being safe.

I disagree with this because I thought this too, however one of my rotary fittings started to leak very slowly and I only spotted it after 4 hours of running it lol I haven't used barbs but I understand what you mean, however in your other thread I told you the collar seals the tube onto the barb by essentially nipping the tube in place so to be honest with you it helps me sleep while my pc is running lol.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Just so you are aware you will have some serious plasticizer leeching with that tubing. I currently know of only one highly recommend tubing, Primochill Advanced LRT, that has low levels of leeching. It will, over time, gum up your blocks and cause a decreased flow rate. 

EDIT: Also, hardline tubing but that's not generally recommended for novice builders. 

CPU: i7-4770k @ 4.5GHz 1.2vCore     GPU: EVGA GTX 780 @ 1202/1762     RAM: Corsair Vengeance @ 2133MHz (11-11-11-27)     MOBO: Asus Z-87 PRO     PSU: Corsair AX860     SSD: 2x256GB Samsung 840 PRO     HDD: 1TB WD Black     CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Just so you are aware you will have some serious plasticizer leeching with that tubing. I currently know of only one highly recommend tubing, Primochill Advanced LRT, that has low levels of leeching. It will, over time, gum up your blocks and cause a decreased flow rate. 

EDIT: Also, hardline tubing but that's not generally recommended for novice builders. 

I really wish I would of gone with hard line over the tubing I got, it's gone green randomly and it ruins the looks so badly. I kinda want to spiral my hardline tubing rather than having it just straight if that makes sense but probably won't end up doing so.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Cool, thank you. As I mentioned above the only reason it seems "less secure" to me is because you push less of the tubing onto it compared to some of the barb fittings I've seen. 

I'll probably leave some paper towel over my GPU for a few days to ensure no leaking. 

it doesnt matter how much tube you have going over, the only part that seals is the part that touches the ridge on the "barb" part of the fitting anyway. so if you have a whole ring of that, it will seal

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

You purchased the proper tubing for the compressions so don't worry. 

With barbs, you can use smaller or bigger tubing that the OD of the barb and still have no leaks but it is not so with compressions. With compressions the tube must be the exact size or you could have either leaks or the compression ring will not be able to screw on properly and this is all due to the tube size, outer and inner diameter.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I just recently did my loop and wish I would have used compression fittings instead of barbs. They were kind of a pain slipping the tube on (I know it's secure now), but then I used to ties to secure them more. Compressions definitely look cleaner. And with that post above about the primochill, I used it, it does the job really well.

---------- Alex ----------

Computer Science & Mathematics

// CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHzGPU: GTX 770Motherboard: MSI MPOWEROS: Manjaro Linux & Win 7  | Case: Vegeance C70 | XSPC Raystorm 750 //

Wtf is plasticizer leeching lol! xD

Wtf is plasticizer leeching lol! xD

As far as I understand it, the inside of the tubing is coated in a protective film which can break off/leech from the tubing and start clogging up your loop, I may be wrong however as I dunno if I'm currently getting that in my loop or not. Going off all my research I simply cba with flex tubing anymore and want to go with hardline tubing.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken