My laptop keeps on locking up... What could it be?

Go to solution Solved by Ickaron,

So I figured it out with your help. How I got it was by pressing F8 as booting and went one of the advanced boot options and that finished the system restore so then I went to the programs and uninstalled Avast! and so far have not got any freezes yet but I hope that wont happen any more  :)

Thanks For your help!

From yesterday my laptop keeps on locking up on me even if I`m not doing any thing and it`s so far been like every hour or so it lockes up.I have a alienware m17x r4 with the specs of: Gtx 680m, i7 3660QS, 16Gb of ram,

What I have tried so far is: Do a system scan for viruses/Malwares, set my bios to default, do a system restore,

If you find a way that might solve the problem please put in some instructions because I won`t understand what I have to do.

Thanks

From yesterday my laptop keeps on locking up on me even if I`m not doing any thing and it`s so far been like every hour or so it lockes up.I have a alienware m17x r4 with the specs of: Gtx 680m, i7 3660QS, 16Gb of ram,

What I have tried so far is: Do a system scan for viruses/Malwares, set my bios to default, do a system restore,

If you find a way that might solve the problem please put in some instructions because I won`t understand what I have to do.

Could be a RAM problem, but first thing I'd try is a fresh install of Windows.

"Rawr XD"

But to fresh install it looks like I have to back up the stuff I want to keep but I dont have any drives that is open and will have to wait for a week or so.

Try a fresh install, or a live boot of linux or something. If it works, it's a software problem.

I'd suggest memtest86 first.

Then check out crystal disk info for your hard disk, just to check

Finally try OCCT and use the stability test option to test the GPU

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

But to fresh install it looks like I have to back up the stuff I want to keep but I dont have any drives that is open and will have to wait for a week or so.

Than try "repairing" windows.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

try a linux usb live boot. Just boot from the usb and use it for a while and see if it happens still, if it does, it confirms a hardware problem

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Try a fresh install, or a live boot of linux or something. If it works, it's a software problem.

I'd suggest memtest86 first.

Then check out crystal disk info for your hard disk, just to check

Finally try OCCT and use the stability test option to test the GPU

Memtest and boot of linux need a usb (drive as in usb also)

Crystal disk; the mark or info? 

OCCT downloading right now

What do you want to see on the OCCT?

Memtest and boot of linux need a usb (drive as in usb also)

Crystal disk; the mark or info? 

OCCT downloading right now

What do you want to see on the OCCT?

For OCCT, a gpu stability test. I have expedience with failing mxm gpus in alienware laptops. Mine for example.

Do memtest though, most likely culprit.

CD info, to see health of drives

The live linux -http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

No need to install, just boot it up and browse the net for a while or something, see if it fails. This could confirm a hardware problem if it still happens. The reason I still suggest crystal disk info is using a live usb won't be using that hard drive.

muh specs 

All parts black

overheating?

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

No probably not over heating and this is the next day and I cant even start windows 7 with out it restarting by it self so I might have to do a clean install...

If you have the install discs, or if your computer has a recovery partition, I would boot to that and access command prompt.

Start with a system check using SFC. 

I would then try running CHKDSK just to make sure that the files are in order.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

The only thing I found out that it preventing me from doing a system restore is some thing from a nvidia driver is broken or deleted in that process

If you have the install discs, or if your computer has a recovery partition, I would boot to that and access command prompt.

Start with a system check using SFC. 

I would then try running CHKDSK just to make sure that the files are in order.

I'm guessing in command prompt? what commands would I write in?

Ideally, use command prompt WITHIN Windows because this will save you a large headache. Within Windows the commands are simply CHKDSK /f and the SFC command is simply SFC /SCANNOW  . IF you can't boot into Windows, boot to the recovery mode.

Since you're using the recovery options, start by typing DISKPART in order to see what the drive letters are for your Windows partition (when booting to recovery disks, the drive letters are often different from what you would see in Windows). Once you've written down the drive letters, type EXIT. This exits DISKPART. Now you can start the other options. 

So let's assume Windows is now in drive D:

CHKDSK is easy. CHKDSK D: /f (For basic file structure). Or for something more intense, type CHKDSK D: /f /r (this will also attempt to scan and recover bad sectors on the HDD. SIGNIFICANTLY longer scan time).

SFC in recovery is much more complicated. You have to use the normal command of SFC /SCANNOW but depending on the drive letters that have been assigned, there are a few extra steps you have to add. There is one: OFFBOOTDIR which is the location where Windows normally boots from. then OFFWINDIR which is where the offline directory is now (this references the currently assigned letter). So assuming Windows is usually C and is now D then the command in its entirety would look like this:

SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\WINDOWS\

That...was long. This type of thing isn't often necessary but heck, it's worth a shot. I've used it to repair computers in the past that would only provide a black screen on startup, but SFC addresses other issues as well.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

No probably not over heating and this is the next day and I cant even start windows 7 with out it restarting by it self so I might have to do a clean install...

sounds like it might be overheating?

Dust that sucker out.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

sounds like it might be overheating?

Dust that sucker out.

The First thing I did was dust it but it continued happening so probably not over heating

The First thing I did was dust it but it continued happening so probably not over heating

What are the actual temps? The thermal paste could just be terribad.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I do not know because when I try to get on the pc it always goes to the system recovery mode. Or I have to go to the windows restore disc

also forgot to mention this. probably really important. This started happening after an Avast! update.

So was browsing the internet to check if the problem was the avast update. I found out that the new windows up date is conflicting with the avast update so I'm guessing that that's whats happening so I think uninstalling the update might help this problem. will post an update after uninstalling (If possible...)

also forgot to mention this. probably really important. This started happening after an Avast! update.

yeah, fairly important.....

Use MSE, Avast!, along with pretty much all others, suck.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

so how would I be able to uninstall it without being able to go into the control panel or windows desktop?

so how would I be able to uninstall it without being able to go into the control panel or windows desktop?

you should do a restore point back to where you last had it working, and then uninstall it using Revo uninstaller.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Can't it freezes when I try to even tho let me try again

do it from the startup repair. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler