Choosing new monitor...ARGHHHH

leog123

After spending nearly all my gaming life on consoles, I've decided to make the jump to high end PC gaming...cos it's better. I've got a rig sorted and ready to go, but my god finding monitors is a pain in the neck. I have literally no idea what to go for, however I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices, either a 144hz tn for faster response, or a 60hz IPS for sharper colours, all at 1080p. It's important to add my rig will feature one gtx 970 with an i7 4790 CPU. 

In order for you to help me fully, here's a brief description of roughly what I'm looking for in my PC experience.

1) I want to run games on the highest settings possible whilst maintaining roughly 60fps

2)I'm so used to playing on a TV, I'm sure response time won't be an issue...I will be playing with an xbox one controller

Screen tearing and Vsync are what's making this so difficult since so much misinformation is spread about how a 144hz monitor gets rid of it (which I know it doesn't). 

How does Vsync work on a 144hz monitor (what frame rate does it lock to)

Is Vsync absolutely needed on a 144hz compared to a 60hz

If I'm not making myself clear please tell me, thanks for any help

EDIT: whilst G sync would be an excellent solution...it's all a bit expensive

ROG Swift PG278Q. Its a 1440p monitor which will run fine on the gtx 970. Has G-sync and very nice.

http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

Not the cheapest monitor might i add.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

ROG Swift PG278Q. Its a 1440p monitor which will run fine on the gtx 970. Has G-sync and very nice.

The ROG Swift is also a $1000 monitor.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

Yes, I've seen that one...bit out of my range though..should have made that clear. I'll edit my original post

If youur going to be running a 970 do you want a 1080p screen or a 1440p one? 1440p will run great but the monitors will be more expensive.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

If youur going to be running a 970 do you want a 1080p screen or a 1440p one? 1440p will run great but the monitors will be more expensive.

1080p :)

What's your price range for a 1080p? Also what's your size preference? I'm currently at 27" which is good for movies and productivity but I would like to downgrade to a 24" TN for gaming. Honestly I can barely tell the difference between IPS and TN.

mudgee - Jedi System Builder

What's your price range for a 1080p? Also what's your size preference? I'm currently at 27" which is good for movies and productivity but I would like to downgrade to a 24" TN for gaming. Honestly I can barely tell the difference between IPS and TN.

24" is the perfect size for me. Budget is <£200. My biggest concern is how a 144hz deals with vsync, what does it sync to? (72 I assume). Would it be worth getting a 144hz monitor witha gtx 970?

Man You are really limiting the power of a GTX 970 with a 1080p monitor. I would def look at a 1440p monitor but that's a personal preference and budget thing. maybe check out a cheaper Korean 1440p AH-VA monitor like the qnix and try overclocking it. (Never used one so not sure of the actual overclocking results or overall picture quality). For 1080p I would look at Ben Q Or Asus.