Small to no clue what i am doing

sparky880

Hey guys first time posting here. I heard it was a great community and i really need some help making the right decisions. My price range is around 1000 dollars for the following parts. Case, Cpu, Mobo, power supply,SSD, HDD, and CD drive. Im using my gtx 760 superclocked 4GB, Corsair Hydro Series H60 for the cooling, and Ripjaws DDR3 1866 Pc3-14900 8192-MBx2 (16GB) for the computer im building. Im thinking about a full tower for the Airflow and convenience of how things will be arranged on the inside. Im currently overclocked to 3.3Ghz from 2.6 and running very cool. my mobo is a Pt6se asus (several years old) as well as my Intel core i7 CPU 920 also (several years old).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=nav_wishlist_btn

^me not to smart i see

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RyVrwP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm won't let me view the link can you use pcpartpicker?

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

That's just a url to our wishlist. We need a permalink to your parts list. 

Also, please read: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That is my current list of specs that i have picked out to accommodate a full tower case. What i really want to know is if i can get something better. If im getting the best bang for my buck. My first computer that i custom built was made with my grandpa and my uncle and they helped me do most of the parts picking. Some of the big questions i have are, Why not this Mobo over that one and why not have this Cpu over that one. I really feel in the dark and i want this computer to last me atleast 7 years like my current one has. Thanks for reading =D

Sorry I didnt read the tips. My budget is around 1000 dollars i dont want to push it past that. Im in the US. 1. Budget & Location

This computer will be used for everything, High end gaming, homework, browsing the web, my previous computer would run Crysis 2 Tomb raider and skyrim on Ultra with ease so i want that to be happening again. 2. Aim

Im running two monitors atm. 3. Monitors

I plan on using my Windows 7 disc that i already have and install linux on the old computer or i might just suck up and buy windows 8.1 havent decided yet/ I wont be buying keyboards or a mouse for a while i think. 4. Peripherals

Im upgrading because this computer is starting to have lots of audio driver issues and i want it to run faster considering im pushing the CPU already 40%, I also finally have the money to do a new build and I also  plan on ordering parts around black friday to get the cheapest deals possible. Long story short i want a new computer because i can finally have the money to do so.5. Why are you upgrading?

The case is also no tincluded because i havent decided between the cases i like and im trying to find a good looking full tower that will have compensation for putting in SSD,

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RyVrwP <<<< that one should work and holy krap its alot cheaper on this site than amazon, this is everything my computer will look like when it is completely done. Ignore the price at the bottom because that includes my GPU, Cooling system, and memory.'

Oh and Led's are totally acceptable =D

Hmmm how about this? LED's come with the case and I really like the looks, but that is subjective.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($137.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($149.00 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $996.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 16:57 EDT-0400

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

That makes my mouth water! Thanks for the fast response as well. One of my questions is that my friends always told me to buy the best benchmark cpu you could find in your price range is that really true? Also when looking at cases (not saying this one is bad) espically full tower cases will i have a problem with air flow only having 3 fans? 

I would suggest saving some money on the storage. You will not notice any performance difference. G2 EVGA psu are very well priced at the moment and of excellent quality. The Corsair 230T case is not as fancy as the very nice Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, but is well priced and looks good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste  ($6.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $758.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 19:17 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Will a mid tower case accept an ATX MOBO? And im thinking about a full tower mainly because of the air flow and the ability to move the wires around for a really clean look, could I do that with a mid tower? Also I was wondering if overclocking these CPU's would be a problem or not?

Will a mid tower case accept an ATX MOBO? And im thinking about a full tower mainly because of the air flow and the ability to move the wires around for a really clean look, could I do that with a mid tower? Also I was wondering if overclocking these CPU's would be a problem or not?

Mid tower is mostly just a shorter tower. There is generally sufficient room for easy cabling. Look for cases with room behind the motherboard tray for cabling - some even have mounts for ssd. Mid tower ATX cases are quite popular.

Intel K processors are unlocked and intended for overclocking enthusiasts. The amount one can overclock depends on the particular cpu chip one gets as well as the efficiency of the cpu cooler. An H60 will allow for some overclocking but nothing too extreme.

Ok cool im glad i can tweek it in the future then! What about the air flow through a Mid tower the Mid tower i have now has only 3 120MM fans?

Ok cool im glad i can tweek it in the future then! What about the air flow through a Mid tower the Mid tower i have now has only 3 120MM fans?

I believe the Corsair 450D is optimized for good airflow. You can watch Linus's review on it. 

Good air flow is more about proper fan placement and case design than the number of fans. Don't forget the fan on the H60 radiator. Four fans should be sufficient for decent air flow in most cases.

That Corsai 450 case looks pretty good actually alot better than what i thought after watching the video thanks for that! I think what il have to do is find a Full tower or mid tower case that i really like and just order some cooler looking fans? that being said fan tips anyone =D Thanks again for all the help!!!

What displays do you have?

Regarding the build:

Why 16GB ram? 8GB is still good for gaming.

Why the 850 Pro? There are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

Blacks aren't worth the money for anything but the warranty. Barracudas are much cheaper and only slightly slower.

Are you planning to sli? The Fortress 750 is overkill even for sli. 

..is a bluray drive really necessary?

That makes my mouth water! Thanks for the fast response as well. One of my questions is that my friends always told me to buy the best benchmark cpu you could find in your price range is that really true? 

Generally, no. For gaming, you want most of your money directed at your graphics card.

Will a mid tower case accept an ATX MOBO? And im thinking about a full tower mainly because of the air flow and the ability to move the wires around for a really clean look, could I do that with a mid tower? 

Yes, atx motherboards will fit in mid towers.

Larger cases have worse and not better airflow per fan because the distance air has to travel is farther. 

It depends on the case. Positioning of fans make a bigger difference than the number of fans. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What displays do you have?

Regarding the build:

Why 16GB ram? 8GB is still good for gaming.

Why the 850 Pro? There are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

Blacks aren't worth the money for anything but the warranty. Barracudas are much cheaper and only slightly slower.

Are you planning to sli? The Fortress 750 is overkill even for sli. 

..is a bluray drive really necessary?

Generally, no. For gaming, you want most of your money directed at your graphics card.

Yes, atx motherboards will fit in mid towers.

Larger cases have worse and not better airflow per fan because the distance air has to travel is farther. 

It depends on the case. Positioning of fans make a bigger difference than the number of fans. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053 is my first monitor Asus VH222H

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160062 is my second monitor AOC 2343

I have 16GB ram because the way ive been using my computer i was using all 8GB of ram.

I chose that power supply because it fit my budget, had excellent reviews and i was hopeing for it to be a long lasting power supply. I have actually (litterally) burned through my previous power supply. 

I have really no opinion on my HDD and SSD other than i know for gaming you need 7200 RPM i dont know to much behind them honestly,So im really open to suggestions, WhiteJaguar77 made a computer with two SSD for a very low price which i liked alot as well.

i have gone through 2 HDD due to failure in my current PC =( so a warranty wouldnt be bad lol

No the blue ray drive is not necessary i have been thinking about no CD drive at all and just using USB but i dont think it would be very wise.

In the future i might plan to SLI i dont have the funds to do that atm though

Im really bad at this forum thing lol sorry!

Hmmm how about this? LED's come with the case and I really like the looks, but that is subjective.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($134.98 @ OutletPC) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 

I was thinking about a sound card??? Does anyone have an opinion on weather or not to have a dedicated sound card in your computer, i hear alot of streamers talk about it but i dont know if i woud benefit.

Your budget is overly generous for what you want.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Zalman F3 (SF) 120mm  Fan  ($0.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $664.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 22:08 EDT-0400

None too shabby. Use the rest of this cash as part of a G-Sync monitor fund.

No the blue ray drive is not necessary i have been thinking about no CD drive at all and just using USB but i dont think it would be very wise.

Why wouldn't it be wise to go without an optical drive?

I was thinking about a sound card??? Does anyone have an opinion on weather or not to have a dedicated sound card in your computer, i hear alot of streamers talk about it but i dont know if i woud benefit.

Sound cards are pretty useless for the most part. Onboard sound has been solid for quite a while. 

Why wouldn't it be wise to go without an optical drive?

Sound cards are pretty useless for the most part. Onboard sound has been solid for quite a while.

My mistake i ment it would be unwise to not have one. 

My mistake i ment it would be unwise to not have one. 

Yeah--that's what I understood. 

Why would you need an optical drive?

Oh, for instance installing certain drivers and such, for the MOBO as well as windows unless i get it put on a usb somehow. The way i look at is if something goes wrong with my USB or something on that lines and it can only be done with a disc.

Your budget is overly generous for what you want.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $664.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 22:08 EDT-0400

None too shabby. Use the rest of this cash as part of a G-Sync monitor fund.

Good air flow is more about proper fan placement and case design than the number of fans. Don't forget the fan on the H60 radiator. Four fans should be sufficient for decent air flow in most cases.

I believe the Corsair 450D is optimized for good airflow. You can watch Linus's review on it. 

Thanks again for helping me out and finding the best for what im making, i was also planning on ordering most of these parts around black friday, will the prices change for the better or am i just better off ordering it tomorrow morning?

Oh, for instance installing certain drivers and such, for the MOBO as well as windows unless i get it put on a usb somehow. The way i look at is if something goes wrong with my USB or something on that lines and it can only be done with a disc.

You should download updated drivers for the motherboard's website. As to how to get a bootable usb drive:

Thanks again for helping me out and finding the best for what im making, i was also planning on ordering most of these parts around black friday, will the prices change for the better or am i just better off ordering it tomorrow morning?

Prices change quite often in general.

You should download updated drivers for the motherboard's website. As to how to get a bootable usb drive:

Prices change quite often in general.

Oh sweet i got my CD key around here somewhere lol.

What are the good qualties to look into when purchasing a power supply id like one with LED's or is that something more to go wrong, if you can tell i want my computer blinged out lol