[Build Log] Tranquil Stream - A Submerged Streaming PC

Grrizz

Update #3: Pew, pew lasers…

Last weekend after receiving the proper HDMI headers I finished off the I/O board, with everything now fitting nicely I did some basic probing which suggested everything should be OK. The next step on this front will be wiring up the cables and plugs… this will no doubt be a tedious job with something along the lines of 70 wires to terminate on the I/O board but until it’s all done I can’t be 100% sure everything is functional :(

8YmdXZUl.jpg

Ul6Cdw8l.jpg

I finally made it down to the laser cutter, it was a bit disappointing to find they’ve started charging for time spent on it so I didn’t quite get the savings I was hoping for but at least it’s done now.
I did run into one problem the night before when double checking my dimensions… a fair few of them were off, I don’t know if the batteries in my callipers were low when I took the measurements or if I was just drunk but some of them were several millimetres out! For the most part this wasn’t an issue but some of the pin-through-hole component leads and bottom side connectors on my I/O board now interfere with the aquarium structure and the mounting holes I had designed into my I/O PCB don’t line up anymore so I cut a few spare bits of acrylic to pad out areas for mounting and will have to cut a few extra sections out of the aquarium itself to get it all to fit. All in all it’s not a big deal but annoying none the less.

PYSVgsNl.jpg

dqUnpbIl.jpg

I seem to have misplaced my syringe so I’ll have to pick up another before I can start gluing in the acrylic but after a basic fitting it looks like everything sits in there nicely.

I was planning on doing the motherboard mount in black acrylic but thought I’d see how it looks with clear first, as long as I can hide the air and oil pump tubes well enough clear will probably look better as it should give the motherboard a bit of a floating appearance but we’ll see how it looks once I’ve done a mock fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hint on a new update? :P

The projects been on a bit of a hiatus over xmas/new years but I'll be getting back into it in the coming days :)

I have another much smaller build planned which will have to take precedence once all the parts are organised so as to be done in time for an upcoming birthday but it'll be a very small amount of work and shouldn't cause much of a disruption.

• 2 months later...

I think pudget should of fought to keep their mineral oil cases

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I think pudget should of fought to keep their mineral oil cases

Totally agree! I think they would have had a strong case but it still would have cost a lot of money to take it through the courts and I don't think submerged systems were a huge income for them so I can understand why they didn't (sadly :().

P.S. Sorry for no updates lately it has been a lot longer than I had hoped, I haven't given up but my work and personal life have really gotten in the way lately, I'd like to say I'll be back into it in a couple of weeks but I cant promise anything quite yet :(

Same, this has to be one of the most interesting projects in a very long time!

• 3 weeks later...

Totally agree! I think they would have had a strong case but it still would have cost a lot of money to take it through the courts and I don't think submerged systems were a huge income for them so I can understand why they didn't (sadly :().

P.S. Sorry for no updates lately it has been a lot longer than I had hoped, I haven't given up but my work and personal life have really gotten in the way lately, I'd like to say I'll be back into it in a couple of weeks but I cant promise anything quite yet :(

remember this?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

remember this?

Certainly do :D

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get back into it yet, I'm crunching at work at the moment going over designs, writing up protocols and getting as much testing in as possible because we are getting ready to setup production lines with our partners and order dies for a product launch, with them costing tens of thousands of dollars and us being a small start-up I have to make sure everything's all in line or I (along with everyone else) will be looking for a new job ;)

If all goes well this coming week I'll have a free weekend at the end of it and should finally be able to make some more progress :)

Certainly do :D

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get back into it yet, I'm crunching at work at the moment going over designs, writing up protocols and getting as much testing in as possible because we are getting ready to setup production lines with our partners and order dies for a product launch, with them costing tens of thousands of dollars and us being a small start-up I have to make sure everything's all in line or I (along with everyone else) will be looking for a new job ;)

If all goes well this coming week I'll have a free weekend at the end of it and should finally be able to make some more progress :)

hmm your expertise may come in handy for me... ill have to bookmark your profile..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Sweet, do love me an update.

• 1 month later...

I wish i have skills like you. Damn. Making your own I/O panel? That's badass to me  :)

I want to build a rig, but I'm not a gamer.   :mellow:

I wish i have skills like you. Damn. Making your own I/O panel? That's badass to me  :)

Thanks, I really appreciate that :)

Just to let you guys know things are still pretty flat out for me at the moment, life has been busier than I had ever expected so I haven't had a chance to progress further. I feel bad for stalling things this long as personally I like builds that keep rolling on till they're done however the main things that are stalling this project could potentially result in me ending up with a lot more time and resources in the future so they are something I have to pursue.

I would like to reaffirm that the project is just stalled, not stopped and as hesitant as I am to say when I'll be able to get back into it (you all know my past assumptions have been way off the mark :() I would like to think my schedule will start to open up a bit more in a few weeks, lord knows I could do with the spare time as my little black book of ideas is starting to fill up with potential projects ;)

1atw5Ehl.jpg

• 3 months later...

This looks like it'll be awesome!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

• 2 months later...

Are you thinking fo finishing this build or have you stopped?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Are you thinking fo finishing this build or have you stopped?

I'm hoping to get time to finish it up over Xmas/new years, the last 6 months or so have been one thing leading on to another so down time has become the proverbial carrot on a stick for me but the plan as it stands is to have all my ducks in a row going into the new year - finishing one project this year and be on the more chilled out end of the slow 2-3 year ramp up of the next project after Xmas ;)

In regards to this build I have a new idea on how to manage the bubbles too which I'm looking forward to trying as I was a bit worried just running a bubbler might be a bit overpowering visually, if it pans out it should be a bit like an under water stream with a few less aggressive bubble jets working their way through the stones... hopefully it'll workout like what I have in my head at the moment :)

• 1 month later...

Plez moar

nercopost much?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Looks great! Good luck :D

CPU: Core i7 7700K | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-AR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD & Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5

nercopost much?

Last time I checked it is allowed in the build log threads, seeing as buildlogs can take quite a long time.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler