Gigabit router, gigabit switch

Nem

I'm at a stage now where I need to start thinking about upgrading the network at home as big files are getting transferred across the network more often.

I have a 10/100 router with everything plugged into it right now, and those speeds arent sufficient for what I need so need to step up to gigabit. The question here, is should I get a gigabit router or save some money and get a gigabit switch? Which do I actually need?

I know that a gigabit router is not going to improve my internet, but I want to make sure that router is not capping my network speed. I've read people argue for both sides, that:

1. Everything connected to a gigabit switch will transfer at gigabit speeds, regardless of whether the router is 10/100 or not

2. All packets on a network go through the router, so the speed of the router will cap the network speed to its own max speed (ie. a gigabit network will be capped to 100Mb/s because of the router)

There contradict each other and I can't seem to find a clear answer. 

The bottom line is that I would like to save as much money as possible, so can I run a 10/100 router, with a gigabit switch and not have any of my machines be capped by the speed of the router?

I believe it depends on what type of switch it is. On my switch I get gigabit and my router is 100/10

PC   1GBPS ->> 1GBPS Switch ->> 10/100 Routor

||

NAS 1GBPS ->> 1GBPS Switch ->> 10/100 Routor

My pc and nas can transfer at 1GBPS, but to every thing else connect to the routor I get 100MBPS

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

I'm at a stage now where I need to start thinking about upgrading the network at home as big files are getting transferred across the network more often.

I have a 10/100 router with everything plugged into it right now, and those speeds arent sufficient for what I need so need to step up to gigabit. The question here, is should I get a gigabit router or save some money and get a gigabit switch? Which do I actually need?

I know that a gigabit router is not going to improve my internet, but I want to make sure that router is not capping my network speed. I've read people argue for both sides, that:

1. Everything connected to a gigabit switch will transfer at gigabit speeds, regardless of whether the router is 10/100 or not

2. All packets on a network go through the router, so the speed of the router will cap the network speed to its own max speed (ie. a gigabit network will be capped to 100Mb/s because of the router)

There contradict each other and I can't seem to find a clear answer. 

The bottom line is that I would like to save as much money as possible, so can I run a 10/100 router, with a gigabit switch and not have any of my machines be capped by the speed of the router?

1) Is correct

2) Is complete bullshit. The whole point of using a switch instead of a dumb hub is that packets don't get broadcast to everyone. The switch is aware of what is plugged into it and therefore if you have a NAS and some PCs connected to the switch, packets sent to/from them never touch the router or anything else outside the switch.

Gigabit technology has been common for at least 5+ years (I got a $20 D-Link green 5 port switch about 6 years ago) so moving from 10/100 to gigabit shouldn't cost much. If you're happy with your router the way it is, just buy a cheap switch with however many ports you need and use that. Just keep in mind that your bottleneck will be the interface between the switch and the router.

Laptop - Gigabyte P34G - 14" 1080p i7 4700HQ, nVidia 760M LiteOn 120GB mSATA, 1TB Crucial BX100, Intel AC-7260, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64
Desktop - SilverStone Fortress FT02B i5 3570K EVGA GTX 570, Intel 120GB 520,  1TB WD Black HDD, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64

Server - HP MediaSmart Server EX490, Core 2 Duo E8600, 2x WD RED 2TB, 2x WD RED 3TB, Stablebit DrivePool, 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM, WHS 2011

Any traffic going through the router will be limited to 100Mb/s and any traffic going within the switch will achieve gigabit speeds.

Now, the question is, what is your Internet plan? Do you have higher than 100/100 Mb/s plan? If you don't, getting a gigabit switch will be the best option, but if you do then getting a more capable router would be the best options.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1) Is correct

2) Is complete bullshit. The whole point of using a switch instead of a dumb hub is that packets don't get broadcast to everyone. The switch is aware of what is plugged into it and therefore if you have a NAS and some PCs connected to the switch, packets sent to/from them never touch the router or anything else outside the switch.

Gigabit technology has been common for at least 5+ years (I got a $20 D-Link green 5 port switch about 6 years ago) so moving from 10/100 to gigabit shouldn't cost much. If you're happy with your router the way it is, just buy a cheap switch with however many ports you need and use that. Just keep in mind that your bottleneck will be the interface between the switch and the router.

All too true. So many people misunderstand this - which is not surprising, as it can get a little confusing. Switches are amazing. Years ago my Dad once bought a network Hub, and I facepalmed lol.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)