Is an r9 290 good enough?

Bram

Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a new GPU but as always I haven't got a lot to spend.

I could buy a GTX970 but the R9 290 is about €100 cheaper.

Eventually the plan is to game with a triple screen setup, but I was wondering if the GTX970 is worth the extra money.

I will mostly be playing racing games like iRacing, rFactor and Project Cars.

if you're gonna be triple screening I'd say start with the 970 and possibly sli in the future.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

^

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a new GPU but as always I haven't got a lot to spend.

I could buy a GTX970 but the R9 290 is about €100 cheaper.

Eventually the plan is to game with a triple screen setup, but I was wondering if the GTX970 is worth the extra money.

I will mostly be playing racing games like iRacing, rFactor and Project Cars.

both cards will be able to play in triple monitors, but yea,, buy the gtx 970, just becuz we're all fanboys.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

I've used crossfire before and it was pretty good! No driver issues outside of the frame pacing but it wasn't that bad. But that was a single display and my only experice with mulridisplay is using my 720p TV to watch Netflix on. From what I've read sli surround is more stable than crossfire eyefinity.

For triple monitor the 290 will prob be just as fast as 970.

But neither will really do justice without crossfire / SLI.

triple screen will be better with increased bandwidth of the 290. Plus, AMD eyefinity is miles ahead of Nvidia's surround (that's just a well known fact, not my opinion), so in this case the cheaper option may be the better one for your use case scenario.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Sorry I forgot to write AMD stuff in my sig so I could looks like less fan boy by saying go GTX 970 and 290 overclock like shit

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |