Computer keeps restarting when shutdown is selected

xchaosmaster

The only way to shutdown my computer is to press the power button. Is there any solution for this problem?

If you have normal shutdown mapped to your power button (not the force shutdown) you'd just have to press the button, not really a big deal is it?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If you have normal shutdown mapped to your power button (not the force shutdown) you'd just have to press the button, not really a big deal is it?

So I have to keep force shutdown the computer every time I want to turn of my comp ? Is that what you're trying to say?

So I have to keep force shutdown the computer every time I want to turn of my comp ? Is that what you're trying to say?

No, you can set it so when you quickly tap the power button your PC shuts down the same way it would if you went into start > Shutdown. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

No, you can set it so when you quickly tap the power button your PC shuts down the same way it would if you went into start > Shutdown. 

How do I do that?

How do I do that?

Start > Control panel > Power Options > (In the left bar) Choose what the power buttons do > When i press the power button > Set that to Shut Down. 

Start > Control panel > Power Options > (In the left bar) Choose what the power buttons do > When i press the power button > Set that to Shut Down. 

Just curious why is my shutdown button keeps restarting my computer?

Just curious why is my shutdown button keeps restarting my computer?

You mean the software button in the Start menu? I don't know, as long as you chose Shut Down as the option that shows up straight in the start menu it should shut down, not reboot. Did you try pressing the physical power button on your PC with the settings i gave you? Does it restart then too? 

You mean the software button in the Start menu? I don't know, as long as you chose Shut Down as the option that shows up straight in the start menu it should shut down, not reboot. Did you try pressing the physical power button on your PC with the settings i gave you? Does it restart then too? 

I tried changing the power button to shutdown in the control panel , but it restarted back 

This is an ACPI problem. What PSU and MB do you have?

I forgot to specify just now. It's a laptop

I tried changing the power button to shutdown in the control panel , but it restarted back 

Well that's weird... Sorry i can't help you here :(

I forgot to specify just now. It's a laptop

That's especially weird. IS there anything in the BIOS you can see regarding ACPI settings?

That's especially weird. IS there anything in the BIOS you can see regarding ACPI settings?

There is no ACPI setting in the BIOS

There is no ACPI setting in the BIOS

Alright, next test. Can you make a Live USB Disk (LiLi, LinuxLive USB Creator will help with that) and run a Linux distro from that?

If you can, try to shut down from there?

If it doesn't happen there, it's a windows issue.

It it does, it's something wrong with the laptop itself.

are you running windows 8 by any chance?

i know someone with a windows 8 computer that has to be force shutdown by holding down the button, if you try and turn it off from the menu or pushing the button down and releasing quickly like a normal person the pc just instantly restarts, is it a weird option in windows 8 or something along those lines?

Yes, in windows 8 you need to go to your preference to change the shutdown function