PC turns itself on in the middle of the night

balling916

My PC has been turning itself on every night, like clockwork, around (or at) 3:50am. I've checked to make sure I didn't have any tasks scheduled for that time and have disabled wan on lan and wake on magic packet, and neither seems to be doing the trick. Is there any way to isolate what exactly is causing this? Could it be a mobo issue? Thank you for the help :D

It is a ghost.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

My PC has been turning itself on every night, like clockwork, around (or at) 3:50am. I've checked to make sure I didn't have any tasks scheduled for that time and have disabled wan on lan and wake on magic packet, and neither seems to be doing the trick. Is there any way to isolate what exactly is causing this? Could it be a mobo issue? Thank you for the help :D

Is it turning on from sleep or from being completely shut down? If its from sleep, it could be something simple as your mouse. I know if I leave my wireless mouse on while its in sleep, it will wake my PC with the slightest movements. If your machine is completely shutdown, you might have bigger issues.

probably a shorted case pin check or replace the power/reset cable,  & have a bottle of holy water nearby just in case if that sh*t happens again after that,

Details separate people.

Use holy water instead of coolants on your water cooling system...

or 

get a better anti-virus, it could be that new ghost virus lurking around haunting peoples computers. I heard it aims to increase your electricity bill instead of destroying your system.

OR

like every cliche american horror film, try to get to the bottom of it...

ok, ya I'm done...these jokes are terrifyingly horrible...

Potatoes are the bacon of vegetables... nuff' said

MOBO: Asrock H67DE3, CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @3.1GHz, GPU: Asus GTS 450 DirectCU Silent, Ram: 16gb 1333MHz, HDD: WD 1TB Green, PSU: 500 watt

You should be fine unless your monitor turns on by itself too, then that's when you gtfo of your house and run for your life.

Case: NZXT. s340 | PSU: Corsair GS700 | Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: EVGA GTX 560 | CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core @ 3.5Ghz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (upgrading to this soon) | RAM: 2 x 4 Corsair Vengeance pronDDR3 DRAM 1866MHz

An exorcism has been scheduled for my pc  ;)

In the meantime, is there anything else I can try? The computer is completely shut down so it's not mouse movement or anything like that. Seems to either be a power supply issue, a mobo issue, or maybe just some windows setting I have?

there could be some windows process be scheduled for liek 3:00 in the night. you can look up the schedule and see for yourself google is helpful with how to.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

there could be some windows process be scheduled for liek 3:00 in the night. you can look up the schedule and see for yourself google is helpful with how to.

Didn't know an OS can send requests(like this guy's problem) to the UEFI to turn on the PSU and power itself on its own :blink:

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

Didn't know an OS can send requests(like this guy's problem) to the UEFI to turn on the PSU and power itself on its own :blink:

well you right i was assuming it woke from sleep on its own because that it can. when its shut off i dont know 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I think your Power supply is cursed/haunted whatever. Try purifying your power supply next time you go to church and tell them the devil cursed your power supply unit.

If that does not work then I suggest drawing a devil summoning circle in front of your computer so you can combat against it. Though, I don't recommend this method as it's a 50/50 because either they fight to the death or you die somehow.

Cheers and goodluck m8 :)

Case: NZXT. s340 | PSU: Corsair GS700 | Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: EVGA GTX 560 | CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core @ 3.5Ghz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (upgrading to this soon) | RAM: 2 x 4 Corsair Vengeance pronDDR3 DRAM 1866MHz

Sigh....

In your device manager make sure none of your Peripherals are causing your computer to wake up.

In Keyboards and Mouse and other pointing devices, right click on one of them, go to "Properties" and Power Management, "Allow this device to wake up this PC" something, and untick it.. Keep doing it for all the devices you see in Keyboards and Mouses and out pointing devices sections.

Okay? It happened to me too, awhile ago where my PC would just start on its own for no reason. That solved me the problem, dunno why it did but it did. :P

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

just google it there is a comand for the command prompt that lets you see what woke up the system the last time. i would post a link but im at work right now

Mine does the same so I refrain from turning it off. It is kind of scary to be honest.

I had that too. It was caused by my mouse. Turned the ability to activated the PC to off.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I had this problem so I checked Event Viewer and it turned out to be Windows Media Player update. I'm sure eventviewer would tell you something

Could be wake on LAN enabled in the bios. 

Or that crappy little battery on the motherboard has started dying, that's responsible for maintaining things like system clock when there is no power,

so if that gets low sometimes it turns the pc back on to charge itself back up?

Could be wrong, im here to learn?

Rig:   Case: Corsair 760t  Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  CPU: i5 4690k @ 4.4Ghz  RAM: 8GB XMS3  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 Cooling: CM Nepton 280L Storage: 1 TB Seagate Baracuda & Crucial CT240M 240GB SSD PSU: Corsair CSM 650W

Upgrades:   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI RAM: HyperX Fury White 16GB Storage: 3TB WD Green PSU: Superflower Leadex Plat 1000w

"My PC is just substitute for the things in life I'd much rather be doing, It passes the time."