Anyone recommend an 8320 for gaming? (star citizen/BF4/skyrim)?

So once again I've missed the sales for an 8350 and the "discount" never really hit the UK when the 8370 came out. :(

I'm tight on budget of £100 and I can get a 8320 or a 8320e (£5 cheaper) for that price.

I'm only upgrading due to star citizen been unplayable at the time and although BF4/skyrim run at 60fps I'm seriously pushing out a lot of heat from my athlon 2 450 and getting a few CTD after a couple of hours play.

I think I already know the answer but was hoping a few people can let me know how well the chip runs.

Thanks.

So once again I've missed the sales for an 8350 and the "discount" never really hit the UK when the 8370 came out. :(

I'm tight on budget of £100 and I can get a 8320 or a 8320e (£5 cheaper) for that price.

I'm only upgrading due to star citizen been unplayable at the time and although BF4/skyrim run at 60fps I'm seriously pushing out a lot of heat from my athlon 2 450 and getting a few CTD after a couple of hours play.

I think I already know the answer but was hoping a few people can let me know how well the chip runs.

Thanks.

I used a FX 8350 for my first build and it played Skyrim, FarCry 3 and Witcher 3 flawlessly (that was only using a AMD 7870). So i can recommend a 8320 for it. If you OC it you will get even more performance out of it. 

What cooler are you running at the moment? Also what GPU are you running?

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Only go with the 8320 if you're really low on money. Mine doesn't disappoints me... for now. xD

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

My 8320 doesn't hold my r9 290 back at all, with good overclocking potential and raw power. It gets hot though, so if your planning on overclocking, get an aftermarket cooler.

Spoiler

AMD 8320 with Noctua NH-D15|ASrock Fatallity Killer 990fx|Sapphire Tri-X R9 290|8gb HyperX Fury Black 1866 MHz|Thermaltake 850W Gold|NZXT H440|Logitech G19s||R.A.T 9|Razer Vespula|Astro A50|Corsair Voyager GT 64 gb

Comp overclocker - Tinkerer - I thoroughly enjoy putting 12v into things that say 5v

I used a FX 8350 for my first build and it played Skyrim, FarCry 3 and Witcher 3 flawlessly (that was only using a AMD 7870). So i can recommend a 8320 for it. If you OC it you will get even more performance out of it.

What cooler are you running at the moment? Also what GPU are you running?

I'm borrowing my brother in laws AIO at the moment hoping he won't need it back soon but I've been "modifying" stock coolers for years so a gentle over clock should be possible regardless. Next big update will be a custom loop anyway.

I'm also running a R9 270.

I'm borrowing my brother in laws AIO at the moment hoping he won't need it back soon but I've been "modifying" stock coolers for years so a gentle over clock should be possible regardless. Next big update will be a custom loop anyway.

I'm also running a R9 270.

A custom loop is a good idea if you want to run high overclocks but if you only want to run a cpu loop on your custom loop you may want to get a large AIO. Like a thick 240mm or a 360mm if they fit with your case.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

A custom loop is a good idea if you want to run high overclocks but if you only want to run a cpu loop on your custom loop you may want to get a large AIO. Like a thick 240mm or a 360mm if they fit with your case.

Yeah I'm only getting a custom loop because I have an enthoo pro and it looks baron, I do a lot of things just because I can xD

Although that indented grill on the top is a good place for putting your keys!

Something like this intel kit totally destroy the FX kit at gaming for cheaper and you don't have to waste a ton of time overclocking it

and making it running right...this one performs flawlessly out of the box, and is much more efficient, not need for fancy watercooling and expensive motherboard

or shit like that...fast cores, 4 of them, perfect for gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $265.88

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 07:31 EDT-0400

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Something like this intel kit totally destroy the FX kit at gaming for cheaper and you don't have to waste a ton of time overclocking it

and making it running right...this one performs flawlessly out of the box, and is much more efficient, not need for fancy watercooling and expensive motherboard

neither the 8320. I strapped a £30 air cooler on it, that I would do anyway, as I had intel stock cooler too and was loud. My temps never exceed 40c

it does not need a fancy motherboard, a good 970 chipset will do just fine.

And no, it will not destroy it.

neither the 8320. I strapped a £30 air cooler on it, that I would do anyway, as I had intel stock cooler too and was loud. My temps never exceed 40c

it does not need a fancy motherboard, a good 970 chipset will do just fine.

And no, it will not destroy it.

i owned an FX-8320 @ 4.6ghz on a gigabyte 970A-UD3P cooled my cooler master hyper 212 PLUS which is exactly the kit that you've just described, i know what i'm talking about...the intel is vastly superior for gaming regardless of the clockspeeds of both chips.

But you are correct using an aftermarket heatsink even with a locked core i5 is always a good idea it's 30$ well spent.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $282.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 07:42 EDT-0400

See how 30euros turned into 30usd and then into 16.99$? :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1.i owned an FX-8320 @ 4.6ghz on a gigabyte 970A-UD3P cooled my cooler master hyper 212 PLUS which is exactly the kit that you've just described, i know what i'm talking about...the intel is vastly superior for gaming regardless of the clockspeeds of both chips.

2.See how 30euros turned into 30usd and then into 16.99$? :P

1 as far as I see you own a i7 4770k, and yes, there are large gaps between these two components, but so does in price, so yeah

why is is vastly superior in games? I mean, in benchmarks there are a few FPS differences in games up or down

2. no :( but as the pricing and the component availability is different here, your set up is

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rHk7pg

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£128.34 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£59.96 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £188.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:49 BST+0100

That us $300, whereas AMD

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9YGD23

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (£99.54 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£49.58 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £149.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:52 BST+0100

that is $250 ( plus the cooler, but it can be whatever you want, or you could use the stock cooler, if you are mazochist)

And as he is on a tight budget, that $50 can count, and for example he could put it toward a decent PSU, that many new builder usually spare

snip!

i upgraded from the FX about 3 months ago..some games run fine on the FX but many games will be limited by the CPU if you are to upgrade to a good GPU in the future where as with the intel i5 the cores are up to 50% faster in many cases and games rely on fast cores for processing. It's worth 50$ seriously and you'll even save some of it in energy bills down the road!

if you are in budget the fx-8320 will run very well and will not cause any kind of performance problem, and on top of that if you will run a r9 270 its more than enough CPU for that, you can put another r9 270 in cfx and the cpu will run that without problem

i upgraded from the FX about 3 months ago..some games run fine on the FX but many games will be limited by the CPU if you are to upgrade to a good GPU in the future where as with the intel i5 the cores are up to 50% faster in many cases and games rely on fast cores for processing. It's worth 50$ seriously and you'll even save some of it in energy bills down the road!

this guy is using a r9 270 though, personally I think he'd be fine with the 8320, it is a good price in the uk right now :P

Depends just how far they go with the extra multithreading in the Star Citizen CryEngine development. AFAIK they're aiming for up to 6 threads so the 8320 may not become the speed bump it is in most other games. But we can't tell for sure yet.

An 8320 must be overclocked, I don't care what anyone thinks, a stock 8320 is like watching paint dry.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wow I can get all of that for £100! ;)

In all seriousness I have the mobo and have nothing but bad luck with Intel so won't go there again.

Also I know you had a good experience with your setup but cut down on recommending it everywhere mate ;)

if you are in budget the fx-8320 will run very well and will not cause any kind of performance problem, and on top of that if you will run a r9 270 its more than enough CPU for that, you can put another r9 270 in cfx and the cpu will run that without problem

OK thanks, I have a second r9 270 but crossfire wasn't supported in star citizen till today so I hadn't bothered installing it as I was going to give it away

this guy is using a r9 270 though, personally I think he'd be fine with the 8320, it is a good price in the uk right now :P

Thanks, good advice as always, as above I now have a second one I'm putting in

Depends just how far they go with the extra multithreading in the Star Citizen CryEngine development. AFAIK they're aiming for up to 6 threads so the 8320 may not become the speed bump it is in most other games. But we can't tell for sure yet.

An 8320 must be overclocked, I don't care what anyone thinks, a stock 8320 is like watching paint dry.

Good point I didn't think of that

Thanks, good advice as always, as above I now have a second one I'm putting in

It'd run fine as long as the game uses the cores, which based on the requirements it better bloody have. Only concern I'd have is Skyrim. However my game is locked to 60FPS (no vysnc) and I think my game sat at that when I went back to FX after selling my 2600K :) (79 mods, mostly graphics +2k textures)

It'd run fine as long as the game uses the cores, which based on the requirements it better bloody have. Only concern I'd have is Skyrim. However my game is locked to 60FPS (no vysnc) and I think my game sat at that when I went back to FX after selling my 2600K :) (79 mods, mostly graphics +2k textures)

Well skyrim sits at 62fps for me now and only dips from time to time to 40 which for me it bareable, how do you turn vsync off for skyrim?

well it depends allot on the gpu you have.

Intel cpu´s basicly do have an edge in skyrim.

Because skyrim is one those games, that realy like intels per core performance.

However the FX8320 will play skyrim totaly fine with a midrange / semi highend gpu.

Allot of people think that you cannot play skyrim on a FX, which is offcourse totaly bull.

You can play every game on an AMD FX. only the new unlocked haswells perform better.

But this does not mean, that games are unplayable on an FX.

People just need to stop talk so much trash about amd FX8 core processors, because they are not bad at all.

Intel cpu´s have better ipc, on which games like skyrim realy bennefits from.

However with a semi highend gpu. the FX will be totaly fine.

Offcourse if you could afford an intel i5-k cpu, then go for it.

But if you are tight on cash, a FX8320 will not be a bad buy.

well it depends allot on the gpu you have.

Intel cpu´s basicly do have an edge in skyrim.

Because skyrim is one those games, that realy like intels per core performance.

However the FX8320 will play skyrim totaly fine with a midrange / semi highend gpu.

The GPU is fine, the CPU is the issue

As above I don't really care in the extra performance as there is to much bad blood there, good CPUs but not interested.

Ok I'll either go 8320 or 8350 and go without food for a week! It'll be good for my diet!

Well skyrim sits at 62fps for me now and only dips from time to time to 40 which for me it bareable, how do you turn vsync off for skyrim?

pretty sure it's in the launcher somewhere

pretty sure it's in the launcher somewhere

Sweet! I'm just blind then

you can change that if you use the enb series dx9dll and the enbblocal.ini