First PC Build (Need some opinions)

Guilty Baby

So as you can see from the title I've never built my own rig before. I'm also kinda a complete noob to windows since I was stuck with a mac because of my college requirements. Anyway, I've already asked a friend for opinion but I just wanted to get a second opinion here to make sure. I'm probably gonna use this computer to play some games and do some Adobe stuff with a slight overclock. Here's what I have right now:

Graphics Card - Asus 770 2GB DDR5

CPU - Intel i7 4790K (Do I need something this powerful? All the i7s are similarly priced though.)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master 212 EVO
Motherboard - Asus z97a
Storage - WD Green 2TB

Memory - 16G (2*8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600C9
Power Supply - CS650M (Not sure if it's the optimal wattage).

Case - Obsidian 450D (All I care about is value and ventilation for the case.)

Fan - Stock (Custom fans don't make that big of a difference right?)

Screen - Asus VX239H (Not sure about this but I want something decent under 200 USD.)

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

that psu on that build.......

I would change it to a EVGA G2 750W psu or 850W if your gonna do sli in the future. 

Also i would change the motherboard to a MSI or Gigabyte Gaming 5, and add in a ssd.

Since your gonna do some Adobe stuff, hyperthreading will benefit in so stick with the i7 

So as you can see from the title I've never built my own rig before. I'm also kinda a complete noob to windows since I was stuck with a mac because of my college requirements. Anyway, I've already asked a friend for opinion but I just wanted to get a second opinion here to make sure. I'm probably gonna use this computer to play some games and do some Adobe stuff with a slight overclock. Here's what I have right now:

Graphics Card - Asus 770 2GB DDR5

CPU - Intel i7 4790K (Do I need something this powerful? All the i7s are similarly priced though.)

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master 212 EVO

Motherboard - Asus z97a

Storage - WD Green 2TB

Memory - 16G (2*8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600C9

Power Supply - CS650M (Not sure if it's the optimal wattage).

Case - Obsidian 450D (All I care about is value and ventilation for the case.)

Fan - Stock (Custom fans don't make that big of a difference right?)

Screen - Asus VX239H (Not sure about this but I want something decent under 200 USD.)

Looks pretty good. If you don't need CUDA, then go with 290.

Also a suggestion, get an SSD.

P.S. Look into EVGA PSU's, they have great price:performance:quality ratio :D

You don't need an i7 unless you're doing something lik Hheavy adobe work that's really multithreaded, rendiering, or video editing. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Hey Guilty Baby,

Nice built you've done here. I would suggest you here to go with i5, you don't need i7 unless you are doing some heavy computing things, like ilikemacandpc said. WD Green 2TB is a good choice. It was designed actually like a second storage device and suits perfectly for movie, picture, music storage. And I think it would be great to go with SSD too.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps,

Doctor_WD

Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies. You guys are awesome!

I do realize I can just get an i5 4690k without hyper-threading and save tons of cash unless I am processing a lot information (like intensive rendering & video editing). I've been with Photoshop for a long time and recently got in AE and Premium so I know what it really comes down to is how long I am willing to wait for it to render. How much will not having hyper-threading slow down rendering?

Regarding the SSD, certainly it will make system and apps boot faster but it's a 75 dollar investment just for that and my budget is running thin. Do you guys know any cheap SSDs that are worth the price or places where I can cut down my overall build cost? Is SATA 3 not fast enough?

I've looked into EVGA PSU's. It would be a great choice if I was in the US but in Hong Kong here (don't judge) they don't have an official retailer or support. Just stick with corsair but a 750W instead

Also, MSI or Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard instead of Asus's z97-a is just personal preference right? They are pretty much the same.

Edit: Probably gonna go for the GTX 970 since it just came out. Better for almost no price difference! What fortunate timing.

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)