MSI R9 280x 6GB Screen flicker + Driver Issue

Heya guys,

This is my first time posting after a friend recommending me so yeah

A couple of issues:

1. Screen Flicker every few seconds: This problem has occurred to many people who've owned a 280x 6gb but despite the multiple forum threads I cannot find a definite solution however

2. The main issue is that either I'm really stupid and I don't understand how GPU memory works or that the drivers which I've tried (Install disc, recommended one and the latest beta one all from the AMD website) which are the 13.2 (or something, tis irrelevant), 14.4 and 14.7. When I go into dxdiag it will show only 4095 mb of total memory being detected whilst the card's max supposed is 6gb

So I apologise in advance for my ineptitude in computer software and I would appreciate if the community here would be able to help me out

I will post details in response to other advice that may seek it

Thank you for reading :)

• 5 weeks later...

I get this with my 280X 3GB version. Seems to be only for 2D desktop work and when the screen is showing loading browsers or anything moving fast. I've read that it's the transition between an idle clock and rise in GPU core speed. In Windows, I used MSI Afterburner to increase the core voltage 12mV which seems to have eliminated this issue. Of course, MSI support does not endorse this fix nor do they acknowledge the issue at all.