Best laptop for a programmer

Hey guys,

So some stuff (long story) has led to the point where I am gonna need a laptop. This will primarily be for programming, maybe a movie or two when I'm on the road.

I would prefer a high resolution display and a display size above 14" and I would imagine the budget is around 550 GBP. Bonus points if you find one with a Blu-Ray drive.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

You probably want a full size keyboard if your a programmer

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

You probably want a full size keyboard if your a programmer

^ This also. I knew I was forgetting something.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

You can always plug-in Keyboard.

then whats the point of the laptop?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

then whats the point of the laptop?

Yeah, I would only really like to plug in three things; ethernet cable (when required), headphones and mouse.

Pretty much just something comfortable. It doesn't really need to be too powerful depending on what you compile. You could probably head to your local electronics store (if you have one) and just kind of browse their laptop section for something that feels nice to type on.

Depends on your projects. If you need to compile really big ones, a quad core i7 would probably be a good idea. If not, nearly anything would suffice, maybe consider getting something with a good screen if you have to use it a lot. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Depends on your projects. If you need to compile really big ones, a quad core i7 would probably be a good idea. If not, nearly anything would suffice, maybe consider getting something with a good screen if you have to use it a lot.

I would probably be using it quite a bit. These projects would be made in languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, C# and possibly a few others.

Do you have a preferred retailer and link their store?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

all laptops are crappy imo unless you spend a lot of money

No a laptop is fine for anything you if you aren't doing anything resource intensive. so internet browsing, documents, or programming small amounts of code

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Do you have a preferred retailer and link their store?

Well, I am British so I use either eBuyer, Amazon UK, Scan, Aria or Overclockers. I am on mobile and it's time consuming to attempt to copy and paste links, especially while using the full site on mobile.

i meant from a quality standpoint hardware is fine i should have been more clear

Dunno my Insperon 14z is almost completely metal, and is quite durable.

i have noticed dell has been stepping up but my hp laptop that i spent close to 1k on is garbage.

800 bucks on sale for mine