Troubleshooting, No Post, Asus Z87I-PRO and i-5 4690K

Pylon

So I got a new PC and cant get it to boot up. I have tried updating BIOS with an older CPU (said update successful, rebooted, went to BIOS perfectly fine) and I have tried using the USB BIOS Flashback (old 1GB USB2 flash drive, formatted to FAT32, put a "Z87I-PRO-SI-0907.CAP" file on it which i downloaded from the mobo manufacturer website (it is the latest versions and specifically mentions it supports my CPU)

When I try the USB BIOS Flashback this is what i did:

Plug in my USB drive into the correct BIOS Flashback slot on rear I/O

Switch on PSU power but not turn on computer

Hold down the USB BIOS Flashback button until it starts blinking blue

At this point 1 of 2 things happens:

1. It flashes blue a few times and then stays solid blue (meaning it didnt work)

2. The flashing light turns off, PC turns itself on but still doesnt boot (red CPU LED is on in the mobo)

Clearly neither result is optimal and frankly I'm at a loss in regards to what to do now. Any insight would be helpful. 

I'm tired as balls and its 1am so going to bed, here's to hoping someone knows whats wrong with my pc.

Again thanks a ton for help in advance

A 4690K only works with the Z87 boards with a bios update. If not, get Z97

Sorry, got confused :P

Edited by mcmad358

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

So I got a new PC and cant get it to boot up. I have tried updating BIOS with an older CPU (said update successful, rebooted, went to BIOS perfectly fine) and I have tried using the USB BIOS Flashback (old 1GB USB2 flash drive, formatted to FAT32, put a "Z87I-PRO-SI-0907.CAP" file on it which i downloaded from the mobo manufacturer website (it is the latest versions and specifically mentions it supports my CPU)

When I try the USB BIOS Flashback this is what i did:

Plug in my USB drive into the correct BIOS Flashback slot on rear I/O

Switch on PSU power but not turn on computer

Hold down the USB BIOS Flashback button until it starts blinking blue

At this point 1 of 2 things happens:

1. It flashes blue a few times and then stays solid blue (meaning it didnt work)

2. The flashing light turns off, PC turns itself on but still doesnt boot (red CPU LED is on in the mobo)

Clearly neither result is optimal and frankly I'm at a loss in regards to what to do now. Any insight would be helpful. 

I'm tired as balls and its 1am so going to bed, here's to hoping someone knows whats wrong with my pc.

Again thanks a ton for help in advance

Update your bios. If that doesn't work, the this applies:

A 4690K only works with Z/H97 motherboards...

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Rename your BIOS to  what the manual says - something like Z87LP.CAP. It won't read anything but the proper BIOS name for your board, which is why it fails.

• 2 weeks later...

In case someone else is wondering, what you have to do (took me 2 days to figure out, whoever writes up the product manuals at Asus need to be fired) is to get a program from their site that changes the name of the BIOS update file (like youdothat2me said) and then use the newly renamed file with the USB BIOS Flashback.

Thanks for the help guys, really did make the process faster!

-Pylon

i always thought z87 mb doesnt support devs canyon at all because its new hardware that wasnt published when z87 came out i guess intel made a support but still it causes issues z97 mboards doesnt cost that mutch more and it also has more features like sata xpress thunderbold(iguess) and m.2 port witch im using right now

Have the same problem with a Z97 deluxe and bios flashback doesnt work.Renamed the bios update file and everything and still no post, no nothing, pc shuts down when 4790k is connected.

Board had 603 version, on the site it says 4790k suported from 1008. but cant get to update it and any other cpu also wont work. i believe bios got screwed or worse, erase complete. like an eeprom will do.

• 3 months later...

In case someone else is wondering, what you have to do (took me 2 days to figure out, whoever writes up the product manuals at Asus need to be fired) is to get a program from their site that changes the name of the BIOS update file (like youdothat2me said) and then use the newly renamed file with the USB BIOS Flashback.

Thanks for the help guys, really did make the process faster!

-Pylon

Hey, I just got a Z87i-Deluxe and an i5 4690k. I've never updated BIOS or anything of that nature. When I start everything up there's no POST. I just don't know how to do what you said to fix it.