Adding Another 8gb RAM To Existing 8gb

Go to solution Solved by Infamous2117,

Just updating...

I added the hyper x fury 2 x4gb booted up and everything is fine.

Memory is running in dual channel 1600mhz without a hitch, no changing/tweaking neccessary.

Im getting mixed opinions about this.

I want to add another 8gb ram to my existing 8gb but some people say if it hasnt been tested/purchased together it can be problematic.

I have existing Kingston Hyper x 8gb ram 1600mhz that i have had since my first build.

I want to add Kingston Hyper x Fury 8gb ram 1600mhz

Fury is just a new series of ram that kingston is now rolling with, but they are both clocked at the same speeds so will this be ok?

Differenes shown below....

10437.jpg

12466.jpg

CPU: I5 4670K 4.2ghz,MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Ranger,GPU:Sapphire 7950 3gb oc x2 In Crossfire,RAM:Kingston HyperX/HyperX Fury 16gb, CASE:NZXT Phantom 530,HDD:Kingston 120gb SSD WD Caviar Green 1TB & 2TB,PSU:Antec 850w High Current Gamer, Ben Q GL2450,Antec Kuhler 920,Razer Lycosa Mirror,Razer Taipan BF4 Edition,Logitech 5.1 surround,Samsung Galaxy note 3, Xbox One.

see the CAS latency too other than the 1600MHz speeds

if you want them to work flawlessly

manually set the speed for both RAMs in the BIOS

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what @dragoon20005 said and you can mix different types of ram(you can't mix ddr types) but it's recommended to add more ram with the same ram model. 

see the CAS latency too other than the 1600MHz speeds

if you want them to work flawlessly

manually set the speed for both RAMs in the BIOS

So i can add it but i just need to make sure they are both running at 1600mhz in the bios?

They are both DDR3 fyi.

The only reason why i am mixing is because not many stores are stocking the hyper x model anymore.

Still its not like there different brands etc...

CPU: I5 4670K 4.2ghz,MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Ranger,GPU:Sapphire 7950 3gb oc x2 In Crossfire,RAM:Kingston HyperX/HyperX Fury 16gb, CASE:NZXT Phantom 530,HDD:Kingston 120gb SSD WD Caviar Green 1TB & 2TB,PSU:Antec 850w High Current Gamer, Ben Q GL2450,Antec Kuhler 920,Razer Lycosa Mirror,Razer Taipan BF4 Edition,Logitech 5.1 surround,Samsung Galaxy note 3, Xbox One.

So i can add it but i just need to make sure they are both running at 1600mhz in the bios?

They are both DDR3 fyi.

The only reason why i am mixing is because not many stores are stocking the hyper x model anymore.

Still its not like there different brands etc...

not only speed

voltage and the CL timings

like what you see in CPU-Z ID under the RAM tab

the RAM settings are located where you adjust the CPU speeds

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If it is not going to be easy to put in another two sticks i might just look into selling these and getting another set of x4 x4gb.

Ive never really tweaked ram timings before so its kinda new to me.

just throw it in there and it should just work. I did that with 2x2 gb 1333 and 2x4 gb 1600 and it just works.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If it is not going to be easy to put in another two sticks i might just look into selling these and getting another set of x4 x4gb.

Ive never really tweaked ram timings before so its kinda new to me.

You're not listening. He said to check the CL timings and the voltage for your RAM. RAM sticks have both speed (1600MHz for you) and CL timings. An example of CL timings would look like 8-8-8-24. Voltage probably looks like "1.5v". If your new RAM has different CL timings or voltage it could be a problem, so setting the CL timings/voltage in the BIOS so they match each other is what he is saying to do.

Also, if going to 16GB, you should do 2 x 8GB for Dual Channel memory instead of 4 x 4GB. If you've already got 2 x 4GB and need more RAM, adding another 2 x 4GB is not going to be bad, but if you're going to sell what you have ANYWAY, I suggest getting 2 x 8GB sticks.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

You're not listening. He said to check the CL timings and the voltage for your RAM. RAM sticks have both speed (1600MHz for you) and CL timings. An example of CL timings would look like 8-8-8-24. Voltage probably looks like "1.5v". If your new RAM has different CL timings or voltage it could be a problem, so setting the CL timings/voltage in the BIOS so they match each other is what he is saying to do.

Also, if going to 16GB, you should do 2 x 8GB for Dual Channel memory instead of 4 x 4GB. If you've already got 2 x 4GB and need more RAM, adding another 2 x 4GB is not going to be bad, but if you're going to sell what you have ANYWAY, I suggest getting 2 x 8GB sticks.

No your'e not listening, i stated that i was new to ram timings and tweaking the cl timings and so on

You just assumed i would know, but thank you for making it a little more clear for me, if i decide to just get another 8gb i will refer to your comments for reference, minus the first three words. <_<

not only speed

voltage and the CL timings

like what you see in CPU-Z ID under the RAM tab

the RAM settings are located where you adjust the CPU speeds

No your'e not listening, i stated that i was new to ram timings and tweaking the cl timings and so on

You just assumed i would know, but thank you for making it a little more clear for me, if i decide to just get another 8gb i will refer to your comments for reference, minus the first three words. <_<

Only reason I said that. But anyway, no harm in being new. Thanks to my salty jab in this post, you now know where to find them too. If you need any more information on say, how to read/interpret the CPU-Z information properly, you could ask us and we'll help.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I use CPU-Z and I know how to o.c my cpu, gpu etc so im not a complete noob. This is my second build. I will update this thread if I decide to grab the other 8gb and I run into problems, im just new to ram timings and voltage. Thanks

Just updating...

I added the hyper x fury 2 x4gb booted up and everything is fine.

Memory is running in dual channel 1600mhz without a hitch, no changing/tweaking neccessary.