Samsung Galaxy S3 vibrates while on sound mode

First of all, sorry if this is posted on the wrong forum. I couldn't find a problem topic or something similar in the mobile devices forum, so that's why I'm posting here.

So I've got this problem with my Galaxy S3. When I've got it on sound mode, my phone vibrates with every notification I'm getting. Normally I wouldn't mind that a lot, but since the sound mode is only used at home (on my desk for example), I don't need the vibrations. Also, I'm getting a lot of notifications sometimes, and then it's getting really annoying and it seems that it drains my battery.

I've been looking around on the interwebz, but I can't find a solution, or at least one that works... I'm not entirely sure when it started, but it's doing it for quite a while now. So that's why I'm here: can you help me with my little, but very annoying problem?  :)

go to settings

under sound

select "vibrate only in silent mode"

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

go to settings

under sound

select "vibrate only in silent mode"

It could be me, but I only have the following options under sound (I don't know how they are "officially" called in English, since my phone's languages is Dutch):

• Volume
  • Intensity vibrations
  • Calling sound (you know, when you're getting a call)
  • Vibrations (types of vibrations)
  • Standard sound for notifications
  • Vibrations while calling (not sure on that one)
  • Sound while using the keyboard to dial a number
  • Sound when clicking like an icon
  • Sound when you (un)lock the phone
  • Vibration when pressing function buttons and certain software actions*
  • Automatically vibrating*
  • Sound when you press a key
  • Vibrating when you press a key
  • Audio output

These could be it, but they are both off...

It could be me, but I only have the following options under sound (I don't know how they are "officially" called in English, since my phone's languages is Dutch):

• Volume
  • Intensity vibrations
  • Audio output

check the functions in bold

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

check the functions in bold

I've done that. Volume was just the volume screen you get when you change volume via the buttons, so that's not it.

I turned down the vibration intensity to 0, but then the phone doesn't vibrate when it is in vibration mode.

The types of vibrations are just how it vibrates (like one constant vibration or 3 short vibrations).

The thing when you press a key is when you press a key on the keyboard, and it is even turned off.

So I can't seem to figure it out yet...

I've done that. Volume was just the volume screen you get when you change volume via the buttons, so that's not it.

I turned down the vibration intensity to 0, but then the phone doesn't vibrate when it is in vibration mode.

The types of vibrations are just how it vibrates (like one constant vibration or 3 short vibrations).

The thing when you press a key is when you press a key on the keyboard, and it is even turned off.

So I can't seem to figure it out yet...

that is really odd

so restarting the phone didn't help?

Well, it has restarted a couple of times when it was in my pocket, so yes.  ;)

Well, it has restarted a couple of times when it was in my pocket, so yes.  ;)

that will mean either a software problem or hardware issue with your phone for it to keep restarting

that will mean either a software problem or hardware issue with your phone for it to keep restarting

I don't think so, since it could also be the button being pressed in a tight pocket and then pressing one button is easy enough. Heard my phone boot up too a couple of times, so that would be it I guess.

But that doesn't really matter, I would just like to fix the vibration thing.

I don't think so, since it could also be the button being pressed in a tight pocket and then pressing one button is easy enough. Heard my phone boot up too a couple of times, so that would be it I guess.

But that doesn't really matter, I would just like to fix the vibration thing.

only thing i can think of could be the messenger program settings

some of these programs will override the main settings

Well, it's with (as far as I know) everything, but I will try to check with WhatsApp.

Get the code for "hidden menu" and check in options if everything else dosen't work

I'm sorry, but what do you mean exactly?  :huh:

• Volume
  • Intensity vibrations
  • Audio output

Turn Off " Vibrations while calling (not sure on that one)" it's actually vibrations while ringing on my english phone. It causes the phone to vibrate while ringing (and most likely notifications) when checked.

Phones have "secret" codes used by developers (i guess),if you look arround internet you will find for sure the code for S3,there are various options,even for sounds settings and everything.

Well, I checked that and, after my phone had crashed lol, I checked all the settings but none where related to the issue. I (de)activated and tested everything, but nothing worked.

Turn Off " Vibrations while calling (not sure on that one)" it's actually vibrations while ringing on my english phone. It causes the phone to vibrate while ringing (and most likely notifications) when checked.

Tried that too, sadly didn't work either...

Man, what the hell is the thing with my phone?! Could it maybe be hardware related?

Well, I checked that and, after my phone had crashed lol

Thats weird,i mean,if you dont touched anything but the sound options it should not crash...Best thing to do is to bring the phone to technical assistance...Anyway,is the phone old? It fell?

Thats weird,i mean,if you dont touched anything but the sound options it should not crash...Best thing to do is to bring the phone to technical assistance...Anyway,is the phone old? It fell?

It wasn't a real "crashy" crash, but the phone got stuck (which I would still call a crash?). The phone is from the end of december 2012 from the top of my head and it hasn't fallen more then 10 to 20 cm ever; plus it has an extremely sturdy case around it, so that cannot be the problem.

What would be the best by the way? Contact the webshop where I bought it or somewhere else?

If it happens only with Whatsapp go into Whatsapp options and disable vibration on the notifications tab. The same on Facebook Messenger, etc...

Also i don't think the vibration would drain your battery noticabley,

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

It wasn't a real "crashy" crash, but the phone got stuck (which I would still call a crash?). The phone is from the end of december 2012 from the top of my head and it hasn't fallen more then 10 to 20 cm ever; plus it has an extremely sturdy case around it, so that cannot be the problem.

What would be the best by the way? Contact the webshop where I bought it or somewhere else?

Warranty is 2 or 3 years there? And,i would go to webshop,they will send it to technical support (or however its are called)...But,as first wait few days more,maybe someone on forum could help you in some way.

If it happens only with Whatsapp go into Whatsapp options and disable vibration on the notifications tab. The same on Facebook Messenger, etc...

Also i don't think the vibration would drain your battery noticabley,

It's not just WhatsApp, it happens with every notification.

Warranty is 2 or 3 years there? And,i would go to webshop,they will send it to technical support (or however its are called)...But,as first wait few days more,maybe someone on forum could help you in some way.

I'd guess 2 (or maybe only 1). The thing is that I'm starting at university at September 1st, so I don't think I'll have my phone back by then.