USB PORT

Hi!

(PC-windows 7)

My USB port does not work anymore BUT only for my USB keys and my printer. It works fine with my keyboard, mouse and headphones.

I've try everything... but I can't find the problem. I tried a "fix device" and it didn't work as well, and also, i didnt change anything on my computer.

The Device Manager said that my usb keys are an "Unknown Device". (tried to unistall et put it back... didnt work...).

So yes, my computer cannot recognize the device...

(was looking for the driver, but i couldnt find one also... is that the problem: the driver?)

Can somebody help me with this problem?

Thank a lot!

Welcome to the Forum!!! :lol:

You might want to move this to the Troubleshooting sub forum.

It can be a number of different problems.

The first one I can think of is malware or a virus. Run an antivirus scan.

Run windows update.

If not Check the USB storage driver.

Connect the USB storage device.

Run Serviwin.

Click View->Drivers

Scroll to USBSTOR.

Verify StartupType=Manual and Status=Started

If StartupType= Disabled, rt click to change it to Manual.

Reboot

Try reinstalling the USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers.

Is it a laptop or desktop? do you hove access to another place to connect the devices to ensure their working order?

A more unconventional method is to completely shut off your system, including unplugging from the wall, and removing laptotp batteries.

Unplug all I/O devices and let it sit for an hour or two. I have no idea how this works, but I have had success on multiple occasions with this. It has also failed to achieve anything on a few occasions.

If all else fails a system restore or a fresh installation of windows.

1. It sounds like there is a problem in the device itself, try it in a different port or even a different computer.

2. If it is a driver issue you could try searching for a download using the devices name. 

What is the device that is having these problems?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.