• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Ace

Ace

• 89 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

Reviving this thread, sorry.

What is the consensus on Audioengine speakers for home theatre use? In particular the Audioengine A2 or A5. These are advertised as "desktop" speakers, but seem to get really good reviews.

Apparently they don't come with a sub, and are just a very high quality 2.0 pair of speakers? People have even said things like, you don't even miss having a sub because of how clear they are.

So what are your thoughts on this? The A2's seem to be around $170-$220, and the A5's are around $300-$400.

Would going this route mean I no longer need a receiver? Is a receiver necessary? If not, then I could save a couple hundred on the receiver and use it towards just speakers such as these Audioengine ones?

Or am I completely wrong, and these Audioengines should be used only for "desktop" use, as intended?

I would recommend for Projector viewing to invest in Home Theater speakers rather than PC speakers which will mean spending extra money. The reasoning behind this is that these Audioengine speakers are designed for a desktop where you will be sitting very close to them. I would recommend floor speakers to get those lows, mids and highs. I currently have Dali Concept 10's http://www.dali-spea...CONCEPT-10.aspx. Comparing these speakers to those tiny audioengine speakers is like comparing chalk and cheese. Its only because you will be watching movies I would recommend larger speakers.

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#22 Kiraaaa

Kiraaaa

• 149 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

It will work fine without a receiver but, you don't have remote control of the volume on the audioengine speakers.

for that, I'd just go audioengine p4 and a cheap receiver.

even some of the cheap lepai amps have remote control, so if you're wanting to save money, p4 and a lepai amp should cost under $300 and be equivalent to a5's

Oh, I never thought about that. I assumed every speaker has a volume controller lol. Is there not even one located on the back of the speakers?

I would recommend for Projector viewing to invest in Home Theater speakers rather than PC speakers which will mean spending extra money. The reasoning behind this is that these Audioengine speakers are designed for a desktop where you will be sitting very close to them. I would recommend floor speakers to get those lows, mids and highs. I currently have Dali Concept 10's http://www.dali-spea...CONCEPT-10.aspx. Comparing these speakers to those tiny audioengine speakers is like comparing chalk and cheese. Its only because you will be watching movies I would recommend larger speakers.

Yea those speakers are what I similar to what I expected to have to buy at first. Those "large" speakers, I just didn't know what they were called. Now I know they're called "floor" speakers. Then, what are "bookshelf" speakers? Are they pretty much just desktop speakers?

If I end up getting a pair of floor speakers, would I still need a subwoofer for bass? Because in my mind, the bigger they are, the more "boom" they will produce. Are floor speakers usually just 2.0?

Edit: Found this one the site you linked "And the 2 x 10" bass drivers, 8" midrange and 1" tweeter do just that."

So am I correct to assume that having floor speakers replaces the need for a sub?

#23 t0wer

t0wer

*insert title here*

• 2,001 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

there is a volume control on the a5/a2 there's just no remote, so if you don't mind getting up and walking over to it, if it's across the room, you'll be fine.

as for the sub, it depends on you, and the speakers.
I think my speakers are considered bookshelf speakers, but they are HUGE(12" woofer, 4" or 5" mid range, 2" tweeter, 1" tweeter) and I wouldn't consider using a sub with them.
  • Kiraaaa likes this

Don't assume everything I say is 100% accurate and the final answer due to the trusted advisor badge.

Listen to the other members and research it further before making a final decision.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac  -  I've met my url limit  :(

#24 Arokhantos

Arokhantos

Swag

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

for speakers you could consider jamo s606 hcs3 or s608 hcs3 which usualy cost around 450€ or 600€ for later one

As for subwoofer you really should't save up on this at all this does't have to be like 1600€

but don't go for 100€ sub i would spend least 500€ on sub personaly least 800€ and pb12nsd from svs

ofcourse you have to consider if listen music primarly or movies for movies what mentioned above is just fine games to i guess.

for music their probably some better alternatives as for subwoofer, as for speakers don't really known jamo sound good with both movies and music really anyway.

If you want dual subwoofer setup like i do you need very good towers that go least 60hz easy at -3 dB point, tough i would first go one sub if that does't work out get another one.

Also 2 subs for 800€ vs 1 sub for 800€ 800€ sub probably gonna be better while 2 800€ subs will sound probably better then 1 800€ sub.

Just make sure if buy 2 subs they must be indentical or will be very tough to calibrate.

Anyway just don't save up on subwoofer.

Ported sub for loudness sealed sub for sound quality tough that might not work in very big room if not powerfull enough tough that aplies to both.

Subwoofer has to fill the whole room if its to weak it will sound more like woodpecker then a actual sub.

You can mail with svs send room dimensions and stuff to ask whatever sub will suit well for your room or if need stronger sub.
http://www.svsound.com/

#25 knight_40k

knight_40k

• 317 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

1) Yea those speakers are what I similar to what I expected to have to buy at first. Those "large" speakers, I just didn't know what they were called. Now I know they're called "floor" speakers. Then, what are "bookshelf" speakers? Are they pretty much just desktop speakers?

2) If I end up getting a pair of floor speakers, would I still need a subwoofer for bass? Because in my mind, the bigger they are, the more "boom" they will produce. Are floor speakers usually just 2.0? -------> [ What do you mean by this? ]
Edit: Found this one the site you linked "And the 2 x 10" bass drivers, 8" midrange and 1" tweeter do just that."
So am I correct to assume that having floor speakers replaces the need for a sub?

1) 'Floor speakers' (aka 'tower speakers') and 'Bookshelf speakers' are referring to physical size/height of a speaker. Floor speakers are taller and do not require a stand/mount and are generally at ideal listening height whereas bookshelf speakers require some sort of elevation. Also, floor speakers can usually play at louder volumes due to cabinet size (depending on brand and quality of course, this is always a factor). This might be more relevant to newer speakers though as things have changed a lot since the 1980's. Older speakers are quite different in terms of size and design.

'Desktop speakers' refer to computer type speakers.

'Satellite' / 'Tallboy" speakers are what you will find in a 5.1/7.1 package system (aka HTiB - Home theater in a Box) such as Sony, Bose, etc. Both 'satellite' and 'tallboy' are low profile speakers with a small footprint and are quite flat/thin in size in comparison to a bookshelf/tower speaker. So simply put, satellite=bookshelf and tallboy=tower, just much smaller form factor. Neither of these will have the same depth or frequency response as a bookshelf/tower speaker though. They tend to sound hollow in comparison, much like a computer speaker.

Hope that wasn't confusing, these terms are quite universal, so if you ask someone at a store they 'should' know or search a local add it will most likely be listed as such.

-----------

2) You are half right, bigger speakers (bigger drivers) do produce more bass than smaller ones but nowhere near the level of a sub. Subs are designed to hit those low frequencies. Some people will say they are satisfied with the bass of their speakers and do not feel the need for a sub but this is personal preference. Also take into account the quality and cost of your purchase. Example, a $3000 pair of towers will probably have better bass than an $80 sub. It's all relative, like if you buy a $400 ROG motherboard and put a $50 Celeron CPU into it, (say wha!?) :P

• Kiraaaa and Ace like this

Case: Antec DF-85 || CPU: i5 3570K || Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX || Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65 || RAM: 8GB Hyper-X 1600MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 7950 3GB || Sound: Asus Xonar DGX || SSD: 128GB Samsung 830 || HDD: 500GB Seagate || PSU: Corsair AX850 || Display: 24" Samsung 1920x1200 || Mouse: Razer DeathAdder || Keyboard: IBM Model M (modded) || Speakers: 2.1 Logitech Z-3

Build Log / LAN Room - Project: Shadow Walker || Project: Fire Storm -- || -- Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

#26 godlikegohan

godlikegohan

Advanced Member

• 203 posts
  • Locationbessemer ,mi

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

if it was me. i would go to a forum like

http://www.hometheat...de-classifieds/

and check out . buying real good used stuff.
lots of guys on the hometheaterforum. upgrade there systems a lot. and sell there old stuff.

thats were i got my first set of 5 ( Paradigm speakers ) for $300. they were like new.
----

note  what i run

i only run ( Paradigm speakers ) for 5.1 and above
and a velodyne f1500 for a  subwoofer

i ran Titans and Atoms for years then got
5 of the Paradigm  reference studio series

when i want to run 2 speakers .i have a set of
cerwin vega re-38 (  15"woofer-7.5"midrange-5"tweeter . 4 ohms  ).
for receivers. i use sunfire, carver and 1 sony

#27 Kiraaaa

Kiraaaa

• 149 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Are floor speakers usually just 2.0? -------> [ What do you mean by this? ]

I meant do people usually only get two of these and use them in a 2.0 or 2.1 setup since they are rather large. So I'm guessing most people who want to go 5.1 opt for smaller speakers, not huge floor speakers? Because in my case, I doubt I will be able to fit 5 speakers of that size

And also, what do you guys think about "sound bars"? Are they supposed to be bought and added to your current setup (say as a centre speaker)? Or are they meant to be used individually? Because I feel that if they're meant to be a sound system as itself, they wouldn't be able to produce good quality sound. It's like having a 1.0 setup instead of a 2.0 system? lol

#28 knight_40k

knight_40k

• 317 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

1) I'm guessing most people who want to go 5.1 opt for smaller speakers, not huge floor speakers? Because in my case, I doubt I will be able to fit 5 speakers of that size

2) what do you guys think about "sound bars"? Are they supposed to be bought and added to your current setup (say as a centre speaker)? Or are they meant to be used individually?

1) Not always. This again is personal preference due to room size and budget, it depends how extreme you want to go. I would say the average home theater is 5.1 and consists of 2 tower speakers (or bookshelf) as front left/right, 1 center speaker, 2 bookshelf speakers as surround and 1 sub. This would be the traditional setup and is the way most home theaters are built. From there if you wanted 7.1 later you could buy another pair of bookshelf speakers and use them as rear channels.

In a non traditional 5.1/7.1 setup (new, within the last 5years) would be if you opted for front wide and/or front height instead of surround and/or rear speakers. These options are only available if your receiver is capable of listening modes such as Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo X and Dolby PL Z. Note, just because your receiver has one or all of these does not necessarily mean you can run any configuration you want, some receivers are limited to one or the other, you would have to consult your manual or find the specs on the manufacturers website.

What these modes do are drastically increase the front sound stage for a fully immerse theater experience, especially if you are using a full 11 channel system. At the lower stage (5.1/7.1) it gives you more options for awkward shaped rooms where placement may not be ideal as some people have difficulty placing rear or surround speakers in their home.

2) I do not know much about sound bars but my understanding is they act as a standalone replacement for traditional 5.1 to be used by itself. They produce sound in such a way as if it sounds like you have speakers all around you even though you only have the one up front. I have never heard one myself so I can't comment on sound quality or what effect it would have on the listening experience but I can only imagine it is a compromise solution much like HTiB. I would not recommend it, but I'm a theater guy so that's just me.

• Kiraaaa likes this

Case: Antec DF-85 || CPU: i5 3570K || Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX || Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65 || RAM: 8GB Hyper-X 1600MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 7950 3GB || Sound: Asus Xonar DGX || SSD: 128GB Samsung 830 || HDD: 500GB Seagate || PSU: Corsair AX850 || Display: 24" Samsung 1920x1200 || Mouse: Razer DeathAdder || Keyboard: IBM Model M (modded) || Speakers: 2.1 Logitech Z-3

Build Log / LAN Room - Project: Shadow Walker || Project: Fire Storm -- || -- Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

#29 Danimacl

Danimacl

Rookie

• 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Here since people didn't seem to want to answer your question, the pioneer SP-BS41-LR Speaker system about 500$. Then just pick up a used receiver, use the optical audio out from your computer or PS3. Personally though I would go with more expensive 2 channel setup rather than a cheap 5.1 channel system. Look on local audio forum IE Canuck Audiomart for great used stuff... Alot of the time $300 vintage speakers will sound as good as like 700$ new speakers. This might also help. http://www.audioholi...m-buying-guides

• Kiraaaa likes this

#30 Danimacl

Danimacl

Rookie

• 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

How about you pick up a couple pairs of these then upgrade the caps http://www.stereophi...652-loudspeaker

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=300-652

#31 Kiraaaa

Kiraaaa

• 149 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

How about you pick up a couple pairs of these then upgrade the caps http://www.stereophi...652-loudspeaker

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=300-652

Only $39. Interesting. But I'm not too familiar with capacitors other than the one time I had to replace the blown caps in my monitor. What kind of capacitors would I need to buy? Is there a certain kind I should look for?

#32 Arokhantos

Arokhantos

Swag

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

You can get floor standers in a 5.1 5.2 setup asswell etc.

Heck if you want dual subwoofers you need very good towers asswel.

#33 Kiraaaa

Kiraaaa

• 149 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Yea, I think I will most likely end up getting floor speakers because I rather one or two larger, better speakers than 5 small, weak, low quality ones. If not, I will end up getting some bookshelf speakers and elevate them using some stands. I think I will just start off with a pair first, and eventually buy more to get a surround setup. Still looking around and doing research though, as I'm not really in a rush to buy them, so I can wait for a good deal to pop up and have some time to learn more about speakers.

Thanks

#34 Arokhantos

Arokhantos

Swag

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Even with floorstanders you need subwoofer unless all you play is music but personaly i would go for decent subwoofer atleast, don't buy a cheap subwoofer.

Their good bookshelfs that can sound just as good and in some cases even better then avg towers.

#35 knight_40k

knight_40k

• 317 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

I rather one or two larger, better speakers than 5 small, weak, low quality ones.

+1 Very good decision!

Since you are upgrading from little 2.0 pc speakers (was it?) any proper full sized speaker will be substantial improvement, even without a sub, although you will want one at some point. You are in Canada right? Is there a local Best Buy, Futureshop, or Visions near you? They all have a good return policy.

#36 Kiraaaa

Kiraaaa

• 149 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Even with floorstanders you need subwoofer unless all you play is music but personaly i would go for decent subwoofer atleast, don't buy a cheap subwoofer.

Their good bookshelfs that can sound just as good and in some cases even better then avg towers.

Yea, I forgot to mention that but I do plan on getting a subwoofer too. Probably just one is enough for me though, I think having more than that would be overkill.

+1 Very good decision!

Since you are upgrading from little 2.0 pc speakers (was it?) any proper full sized speaker will be substantial improvement, even without a sub, although you will want one at some point. You are in Canada right? Is there a local Best Buy, Futureshop, or Visions near you? They all have a good return policy.

little 2.1 pc speakers, yes. Similar to the Logitech Z-4, or the Z-3 that you have, except even older lol. They're definitely loud enough and work fine, but I believe I can do much better in terms of sound quality. And yes, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said "I will most likely buy from a store here in Canada which has a great return policy." ;)

Thanks again

#37 Arokhantos

Arokhantos

Swag

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yea, I forgot to mention that but I do plan on getting a subwoofer too. Probably just one is enough for me though, I think having more than that would be overkill.

little 2.1 pc speakers, yes. Similar to the Logitech Z-4, or the Z-3 that you have, except even older lol. They're definitely loud enough and work fine, but I believe I can do much better in terms of sound quality. And yes, that's exactly what I was referring to when I said "I will most likely buy from a store here in Canada which has a great return policy." ;)

Thanks again

Defiantly not if you buy 2 proper subwoofers they will sound better and smoother with less disortion then one.

Ofcourse 2 10 inch won't outperform a 12 inch.

same with 2 subs for 800€ vs 1 800€ sub its better to buy 2 800€ subs in that case.

Personaly i would go with svs sound for subwoofer if primarly watch movies even just one is very good 2 is just awesome.

If you plan to go 1 sub i personaly would save up as much possible and go for pb12 plus because it allows you to set different modes sealed 20 hz and 16 hz mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users