Our crowd funding effort to move into our new office is live now! Click here to see the progress!

Photo
- - - - -

Mac Pro Mod

PowerMac G5 Mac Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brissinger6

Brissinger6

• 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hi guys!

I recently bought a PowerMac G5, it's really a beautiful case!

This is how it looks today:

20130520 133720 LLS

20130520 133614 LLS

My plan is to paint it, most likely the same colour, now there are a few scratches that really irritate me..

The power supply will go in the bottom, where the original one was

On components I'm not sure yet, but most likely a mATX motherboard so i can keep the top shelf free for SSD's, i'm not intrested in 3 or 4-way SLI/crossfire anyway. It will definitely be a gaming rig, maybe a even dualboot

I will upgrade it later on to a custom water loop but I'm going to start with an all in one set just for the CPU

One thing that i really hate about the mods I've seen so far, is the cable management

well it's hard to call it that with cables hanging loose everywhere.. I hope i can do a better job with the idea's i have

It won't be the fastest mod out there, still studying and finals are coming, so be patient but it will be worth it! :D

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 Tan-M4-DMR

Tan-M4-DMR

• 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

ARGH. I really wanted to do something like this. Well, I just wanted to put my components in the G5 case... It really does look nice.

Anyways... If you could make it look good, I'd say go with a side window after you get the cables neatly managed and a full water loop in there. I think that would look pretty nifty. 

I also don't think you should paint it... possibly powdercoat it if the scratches are absolutely unbearable. 

I'm really looking forward to how this will come out.

• calebp123 likes this

My System: CPU: Intel i5 3570K GPU: 2x Radeon HD 7950 (crossfire)  RAM: Patriot Viper Extreme 16GB 1600MHz Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Formula HDD: 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB (Raid 0), 1x WD Caviar Red 2TB, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair AX850 Gold  -  CPU+Graphics cards watercooled by full custom loop. 

#3 AMD Lover

AMD Lover

Perfectionist

• 2,505 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have to agree, i would paint it and a side window would look nice

| CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz @ 1.280v | Motherboard: MSI MPOWER MAX Z87 | GPU: MSI 780 LIGHTNING 3GB (1254Mhz Core, 6416Mhz Mem) | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive | COOLER: Corsair H100i | CASE: Semi-Modded Corsair 750D | OS: Windows 10 Tech Prev. | Peripherals: Corsair M65 ~ Microsoft Sidewinder ~ Steelseries QCK   Build Log(In Progress) DONT QUOTE MY ORIGINAL POST!!!!!

#4 Brissinger6

Brissinger6

• 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I don't think i'm going to put a window in it, i had to place it on the ground yesterday because it was so damn heavy, when i don't see it a window is pretty pointless..

I'm a bit concerned about the PSU, i hope it will fit on the bottom, otherwise all my plans were for nothing..

#5 modnoob

modnoob

• 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

as for the psu i can tell you that mine did not fit in mine with the midplate installed unless you are willing to mod your psu 

#6 Brissinger6

Brissinger6

• 33 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

taking the actual psu out of the case isn't that hard, i practised with an older one i had left
does it fit when it's out of the case?

#7 modnoob

modnoob

• 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

yes it does i was talking about when its in its case you should be able to modify the original psu shroud to fit yours .

#8 calebp123

calebp123

Cat Overlord

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Man this is going to look really nice! Though don't paint it, it kinda takes away from the sleeker look. Also a window would look really good!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PowerMac G5, Mac Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users