bluray drive looses power and disappears

sauerkraut

Hi there,

just built  my new PC and it is running quite OK so far. But one major problem I have is that my bluray drive suddenly looses power (apparently) because when I press the button to open the tray nothing happens...  I have checked the data and power connection and everything is perfectly fine. I am using a LiteOn ihos104 bluray drive and an Asus x79 Deluxe motherboard. I installed windows with this drive perfectly without any issues and it also appears in the UEFI with correct name. Has anybody had similiar problems with their drives.

Any help appreciated , as always :D thanks!

Best, Michi

Maybe a faulty drive? Have you used it in a different system before ?

No it is a new drive. Haven`t tried it in a other system so far. Just did a restart and entered UEFI. It didn`t show up again... Only a shut down an power up again helps to g et the drive back for a few minutes.

try swapping the SATA connectors for power and data

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I swapped the data connector from the intell sata port 3 to 4 and will see if that helps. But if it works that would mean that my sata 3 port is defect, right?

didn't help. The drive is off again. so I don't think it is the sata port. I'll try another port of the PSU now...

didn't help. The drive is off again. so I don't think it is the sata port. I'll try another port of the PSU now...

I have had a faulty DVD drive that would change it's name on post to some random jibberish. They can do some pretty funky things. I'd try and get a replacement.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

I have had a faulty DVD drive that would change it's name on post to some random jibberish. They can do some pretty funky things. I'd try and get a replacement.

Haha, ok that's really funky as you describe it. I swapped both data and power ports which had no influence on the behaviour of the drive. I will send it back... What a pity, when it was running it was running quite nicely and wasn't loud at all. But a drive that only works when it is in a good mood is, let's say, a bit annoying ;)

Thank you guys so far for the quick responses :D