Random colours on screen after logging into Windows following 4770k overclock

step1041
Go to solution Solved by step1041,

Safe mode works, I'm going to try uninstalling and re-installing the Nvidia drivers to see what that does. I tried getting into Afterburner or OC Guru and neither would work, but that isn't really surprising.

Edit: Turns out removing Afterburner in safe mode worked. For some reason now re-installing it does the same thing so I think i will just switch to Asus GPU Tweak. Just editing in the solution that worked for me in case anyone else has the same problem.

Hi everyone,

I decided to push the overclock on my 4770k tonight but after a bluescreen or two the computer is giving me a single solid colour on my screen a few seconds after I login. Thinking this might have something to do with the GPU I then pulled my 780Ti out and changed over to integrated graphics and now everything is working fine again. The 780Ti is overclocked and the card works fine until about 5 seconds after I login. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I'm posting here because the overall cause was the overclock on the CPU, but forgive me if it should be in the graphics forum.

The CPU was overclocked at 4.4ghz with 1.2v applied.

Now it is at 4.5ghz with 1.27v applied.

I can't remember the specifics of the 780Ti but I think the clock was at around 1-1.2ghz

Thanks!

can you boot into safe mode with the graphics card in, could be a driver problem. Try putting everything to stock and booting.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Safe mode works, I'm going to try uninstalling and re-installing the Nvidia drivers to see what that does. I tried getting into Afterburner or OC Guru and neither would work, but that isn't really surprising.

Edit: Turns out removing Afterburner in safe mode worked. For some reason now re-installing it does the same thing so I think i will just switch to Asus GPU Tweak. Just editing in the solution that worked for me in case anyone else has the same problem.