Potential Mini-ITX SOCKET 2011 / X99 Board for the future.

Hello everyone,

as you may or may not be aware, JJ of ASUS has recently done an interview where he has answered a couple of questions with the Tek Syndicate community, however there is one question that he has responded to and that is a possible Mini-ITX board for the future in the Socket 2011 platform, he has mentioned that it is not entirely impossible just difficult and the question is how much are you willing to pay for a mini-itx socket 2011 board. which he has mentioned could theoretically be around the $400+ range if it were to happen but it makes sense cause packing so much into a small form factor will definitely cost a ton so the theoretical price makes sense.  JJ has said that if the Enthusiast Community are willing to let ASUS know that we want to see an ITX Board that he will take it to consideration with his marketing team.. however this may be a bit dumb and sort of late since X99 is on its way, but its something to consider. one day we may be able to finally build a small form-factor PC that is truly ENTHUSIAST GRADE. and... possibly be a rival the mac pro in terms of power and size. or even build the tiniest insane server ever. however the point is, if we can let ASUS know that we WANT an ITX Board for the future Enthusiast Platform at least for X79 or X99 in the near future it will be something unparallel in the PC building.

Here is a Petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/asus-create-a-socket-2011-mini-itx-motherboard#

Spread the WORD,

Lets make this happen :)

lol, it won't happen. Making a petition on change.org doesn't actually make people/companies do things.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Hello everyone,

as you may or may not be aware, JJ of ASUS has recently done an interview where he has answered a couple of questions with the Tek Syndicate community, however there is one question that he has responded to and that is a possible Mini-ITX board for the future in the Socket 2011 platform, he has mentioned that it is not entirely impossible just difficult and the question is how much are you willing to pay for a mini-itx socket 2011 board. which he has mentioned could theoretically be around the $400+ range if it were to happen but it makes sense cause packing so much into a small form factor will definitely cost a ton so the theoretical price makes sense.  JJ has said that if the Enthusiast Community are willing to let ASUS know that we want to see an ITX Board that he will take it to consideration with his marketing team.. however this may be a bit dumb and sort of late since X99 is on its way, but its something to consider. one day we may be able to finally build a small form-factor PC that is truly ENTHUSIAST GRADE. and... possibly be a rival the mac pro in terms of power and size. or even build the tiniest insane server ever. however the point is, if we can let ASUS know that we WANT an ITX Board for the future Enthusiast Platform at least for X79 or X99 in the near future it will be something unparallel in the PC building.

Here is a Petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/asus-create-a-socket-2011-mini-itx-motherboard#

Spread the WORD,

Lets make this happen :)

why would you limit your option on this socket to a single pcie express slot X79 or X99

from a negative standpoint this will never happen so "have a laugh dude''

no offence but i believe this need for a mitx board is very disproportionate to the quantity of enthusiast who require it

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

@Lord Pantaloons this petition was made early this morning. we can at least try, i don't see why it can't happen, small form-factor build are getting more and more popular with the rise of steam machines, and there isn't something that can rival the mac pro in terms of power and size, and a Mini-ITX board in X79/X99 Platform can. imagine an X99 ASUS ROG Impact motherboard with a 780ti or R9-290x. that would be a Wet Dream for anyone. and besides it is going directly to JJ so he can at least let people at ASUS know this is something we want to happen. ASUS does listen to the community.

@wng_kingsley7 at least there should be an option for a mini-itx. if you need more PCI Express slots then people would consider a M-ATX or ATX Solution. people would probably choose form-factor over how extremely jam-packed their motherboard is. if a motherboard has all that an ethusiast needs in that form-factor then why not?

@Le Kat 

PC vs Mac Pro, doesn't matter, in the UK you could make a competitive X79 (sb/ivy) pc to go head on against the mac pro which you can only get quad or six core one for 2499/3000 quid. if X99 gets tonne of more features like pcie 4.0 in 2015 which it will, of course DDR4 support (ECC) sata express etc..... maybe but it's too little to cram onto a physical board the size of 6.9" inches. X99 will always have place for semi pro-consumer and up.

Physical space is too much of an issue.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

@wng_kingsley7

I guess, but its something it would be nice to have even if there has to be sacrifices. i mean look at ASUS Z87 Deluxe ITX that is a Jam-Packed itx board. some people just need more cores. and they won't get that unless they go X79 or X99. either way even if its absurd, there should at least be an option for an itx enthusiast platform board and JJ From ASUS has confirmed it is not impossible, its just how many people would like to see an X79 / X99 board in that form factor and are we willing to pay for it, which lets be honest with ourselves if people are willing to spend money on bloody Titan GPUs, 780ti's, and 4960x's and 4930ks then they willing to spend money on a expensive board. in this case if your preference is Mini-ITX then there should be an option, and hopefully this petition will at LEAST let ASUS know people would like to see it, even if it doesnt get developed.

• 4 weeks later...

With all the new ways to take advantage of the extra PCI-E lanes, I think it is important for the platform to manifest itself in mITX.  A 6/8 core CPU, a top-end single card solution, and an I/O system all connected directly to PCI-E through M.2 is a very appealing prospect.  I think ASUS had the right idea with some of the daughtercards that protruded from the Maximus Impact.  This might provide the real estate needed to make it happen.

The market is small but it's the only reason I have a large rig. I'd kill for an ITX 2011 mobo that fits into normal cases. All i need is a new top-end X99 chip with a Titan Z or 295X2 and im set. 

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

I can only see this being useful when DDR4 comes to maturity.

You'd need 16GB DIMMs to get any amount of RAM the X99 socket deserves

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

The market is small but it's the only reason I have a large rig. I'd kill for an ITX 2011 mobo that fits into normal cases. All i need is a new top-end X99 chip with a Titan Z or 295X2 and im set.

From a very open minded perspective would you? I mean not only if you were spending top dollar for a beastly MITX X99 build which I would imagine if it had the upcoming octo-core extreme ($1000+) the MITX motherboard being of maybe of $300+ and whatever expenses you wanna 100% cash out on etc.

It does seem impressive but lacks physical & PCIE expandability. From what I understand X99 might not have any support for the M.2/Sata express (for now) although undoubtedly a motherboard vendor like Asus, Gigabyte or MSI will be definitely be developing a board like that in the coming months, it's got more then enough pci-e gen 3.0 lanes so if it's better for running multiple graphics cards would you just be hindering your performance by a fair margin.

It will happen. It's not so different than where matx was 5 years ago

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop

From a very open minded perspective would you? I mean not only if you were spending top dollar for a beastly MITX X99 build which I would imagine if it had the upcoming octo-core extreme ($1000+) the MITX motherboard being of maybe of $300+ and whatever expenses you wanna 100% cash out on etc. It does seem impressive but lacks physical & PCIE expandability. From what I understand X99 might not have any support for the M.2/Sata express (for now) although undoubtedly a motherboard vendor like Asus, Gigabyte or MSI will be definitely be developing a board like that in the coming months, it's got more then enough pci-e gen 3.0 lanes so if it's better for running multiple graphics cards would you just be hindering your performance by a fair margin.

I really just need a Bolt II with X99 and im set. Portable editing and gaming rig galore. I don't need any more than one PCIe slot as long as the board has good on-board audio .

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

the lga2011 has less than 5% market share, so why only cater to a small buying

pool? hence limited models of lga2011 motherboard existence. bumping to mITX

might up the ante to 10%, but still not a real return on investment. and since

X99 is not backwards compatible, i fear it will slim the customer base back to less

3%. lga2011 is so niche that it isn't a "sure bet" to capitalize with. the whole idea

of having 40 PCIe lanes to use and going to a platform that will not ever utilize

the full potential of the reasoning to get the lga 2011 platform in the first place.

Nice. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

• 1 month later...

I would love an ITX X99 so I can get a portable, hardcore editing rig in a nice looking 380T. 8 Core CPU, GTX 780Ti/880Ti/GPU of any choice, 16/32GB DDR4, liquid cooling loop. It'd be amazing. If you had trouble with the chipset, make the daughter board for the VRM smaller, and thus limit the OC a bit, and put it on that. Or make another daughter board by the RAM slots, if possible. Though, that'd get pretty tight. There are tons of people who would love a portable powerhouse on the X99 platform, me included.

- Maple <3

@mapleguygames

• 1 month later...

I got to thinking...the RAM issue can be solved by relying on the hgiher density of DDR4....or, maybe they can utilize 4 SO-DIMM's on the ITX X99 board as a way to populate the 4 channels.