Possible upgrade cpu on laptop?

Go to solution Solved by sirtoby,

So if your board allows you to change cpus, then you will have to get a mobile cpu, not a desktop one (which the i3-4130 is). If you currently got an i5-2410m, your board will probably have socket 988. Socket 1150 was introduced with Haswell and is only for desktop. Your cpu is from the Sandy bridge generation and on the mobile platform, so it CAN'T have socket 1150.

Long story short: It won't work. Mobile cpus are expensive to buy on its own, and probably won't work because of Bios locks.

i dont how to say this. im using dell inspiron n5110. which use i5-2410M cpu @ 2.30 GHz.

im thinking to upgrade to i3-4130. is there different between destop and laptop cpu?

its is possible? oh yeah you should already know this, my mobo use LGA1150 socket.

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

Usually CPU's in laptops are soldered to the motherboard and can't be removed, I'm not sure where to go online to see if it is.  Otherwise you'll have to take it all apart and check.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It depends on if the chip is socketed or soldered on. Also, manufacturers have locked BIOSs on their motherboards so it might not work.

Usually CPU's in laptops are soldered to the motherboard and can't be removed, I'm not sure where to go online to see if it is.  Otherwise you'll have to take it all apart and check.

i have done take all part out when i cleaning fan. so i know cpu can be switch.

It depends on if the chip is socketed or soldered on. Also, manufacturers have locked BIOSs on their motherboards so it might not work.

any possible to unlock bios?

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

i have done take all part out when i cleaning fan. so i know cpu can be switch.

any possible to unlock bios?

You can flash a custom bios, but that is risky and can permanently damage your computer. Also, you said in the OP that you have an 1150 socket. I may be wrong, but I thought 1150 was only a desktop socket

I doub't it would be compatible, but many laptops especially older ones you can replace the cpu, but it is often from one of the same generation/lineup.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

So if your board allows you to change cpus, then you will have to get a mobile cpu, not a desktop one (which the i3-4130 is). If you currently got an i5-2410m, your board will probably have socket 988. Socket 1150 was introduced with Haswell and is only for desktop. Your cpu is from the Sandy bridge generation and on the mobile platform, so it CAN'T have socket 1150.

Long story short: It won't work. Mobile cpus are expensive to buy on its own, and probably won't work because of Bios locks.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

One more thing: there is a video on your topic, and a source for mobile processors is in the description

A mobile i7 will cost you about 200$ used. Allthough, I still don't recommend doing it. There may also be issues with the higher TDP of the i7

Molex to SATA, lose all your data