Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time to upgrade or not?

XR6
 Share

Hi,

 

I'm probably a regular on this forum now with the infamous Galaxy S7.. but anyway I've been having battery trouble (my phone barely lasts from 8am-3pm and I barely use my phone), my call quality is horrific, android randomly crashes out of nowhere, it's slow as hell and it's only 6 months old? My storage is about 25GB full out of 32GB. 

I don't want to start a cycle of warranty returns as I have no other phone to use whilst my phone is away for repair, plus it will keep happening as my friend has the exact same phone as me (black flat S7) but it is 2 years old. He needs to plug his phone into a powerbank every day to stop the battery from just dying in an hour or so (the previous owner of the phone even sent the phone for warranty before about a year ago).  

 

Could anyone give me their two cents on what to do?

Thanks :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Hi,

 

I'm probably a regular on this forum now with the infamous Galaxy S7.. but anyway I've been having battery trouble (my phone barely lasts from 8am-3pm and I barely use my phone), my call quality is horrific, android randomly crashes out of nowhere, it's slow as hell and it's only 6 months old? My storage is about 25GB full out of 32GB. 

I don't want to start a cycle of warranty returns as I have no other phone to use whilst my phone is away for repair, plus it will keep happening as my friend has the exact same phone as me (black flat S7) but it is 2 years old. He needs to plug his phone into a powerbank every day to stop the battery from just dying in an hour or so (the previous owner of the phone even sent the phone for warranty before about a year ago).  

 

Could anyone give me their two cents on what to do?

Thanks :) 

Time to upgrade, I upgraded myself 2 times in 7 months just to end up with a Note 9

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Ryzen Hero: |Dead|
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The note was the one that was a big blow, so the s7 is fine. I would upgrade, you can find some great budget and flagship phones these days. Look at the pocophone f1 for example

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, KingCry said:

Time to upgrade, I upgraded myself 2 times in 7 months just to end up with a Note 9

I really don't want to get rid of it, I overpaid wayyyyy too much for this thing (had to buy it brand new for £500 in a physical electronics shop cause my parents don't trust the internet, and being a high school student £500 is a real investment).. But if it struggles to get me through a day after 6 months of ownership it's time to leave it behind..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try replacing the battery or just re-flashing the firmware to see if that fixes the battery drain.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a custom ROM. Generally, that'll improve battery life and stability. Do that before you drop $700+ on a new phone.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

You could try replacing the battery or just re-flashing the firmware to see if that fixes the battery drain.

 

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try a custom ROM. Generally, that'll improve battery life and stability. Do that before you drop $700+ on a new phone.

I've been debating that, it's just that I don't know if it's really worth voiding the warranty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, 1kv said:

 

I've been debating that, it's just that I don't know if it's really worth voiding the warranty. 

Well, you're getting rid of it either way. Either you upgrade it, or you void the warranty and just push back the upgrade day. I'd really start by putting a custom ROM on it before you get a new phone.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, you're getting rid of it either way. Either you upgrade it, or you void the warranty and just push back the upgrade day. I'd really start by putting a custom ROM on it before you get a new phone.

I guess you're right.. Thanks for your help everyone @KingCry @LukeSavenije @Cyberspirit @kelvinhall05 :) 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I've been debating that, it's just that I don't know if it's really worth voiding the warranty.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to game the system and make it so, it doesn't detect it as modified but, it's been a while since I did anything like this.

 

Also, I had a Galaxy Y (Yeah, it's been a while) that was modded to hell and back but, I was able to get it replaced after I reflashed everything back to stock.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

I'm pretty sure there's a way to game the system and make it so, it doesn't detect it as modified but, it's been a while since I did anything like this.

 

Also, I had a Galaxy Y (Yeah, it's been a while) that was modded to hell and back but, I was able to get it replaced after I reflashed everything back to stock.

Damn, I had a Galaxy Y too! Anyway I think Samsung have caught on now, someone told me that they have a really small chip inside that burns out when you've rooted the device or unlocked the bootloader.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, 1kv said:

Damn, I had a Galaxy Y too! Anyway I think Samsung have caught on now, someone told me that they have a really small chip inside that burns out when you've rooted the device or unlocked the bootloader.. 

I doubt that to be honest. That'd be pretty low IMO.

Anyway, if you are going for the Custom OS route, LineageOS is a highly praised one.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

I doubt that to be honest. That'd be pretty low IMO.

Anyway, if you are going for the Custom OS route, LineageOS is a highly praised one.

Sounds awesome.. I'll take a look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the reason i quit Samsung - Battery. My note8 barely lasted 7AM-3PM. So now I'm thinking of switching to the dark side - Apple.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kunker_ said:

This is the reason i quit Samsung - Battery. My note8 barely lasted 7AM-3PM. So now I'm thinking of switching to the dark side - Apple.:D

Man! It ain’t half bad! I love my iPhone 7. I paid way too much for a used unit last year....but I love my iPhone! 

 

It just works. It’s so smooth and snappy. I just don’t get why people spend so much money on the newer iPhones when the iPhone 7 is just so good already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kunker_ said:

This is the reason i quit Samsung - Battery. My note8 barely lasted 7AM-3PM. So now I'm thinking of switching to the dark side - Apple.:D

I changed over from an iPhone SE that I bought in 2016. It's not too bad but the battery is just as bad after 2 years of usage and you'll find that it's severly limited compared to Android. I'd go for a OnePlus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

I doubt that to be honest. That'd be pretty low IMO.

Anyway, if you are going for the Custom OS route, LineageOS is a highly praised one.

Apparently there's something called eFUSE by IBM.. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/how-knox-warranty-void-efuse-burning-t3407518

Anyway I don't care about my warranty anymore, the battery is so bad that I really don't have much to lose at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Apparently there's something called eFUSE by IBM.. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/how-knox-warranty-void-efuse-burning-t3407518

Anyway I don't care about my warranty anymore, the battery is so bad that I really don't have much to lose at the moment. 

Well, that's a bummer but, still, I'd assume they would repair your device if it had a hardware failure or just a broken screen.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, that's a bummer but, still, I'd assume they would repair your device if it had a hardware failure or just a broken screen.

Yeah maybe. I'd rather not find that out though, could make for a costly repair lol

Anyway since the eFUSE is more of a software thing I don't see why they wouldn't honour a warranty if it was a physical device problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just make sure to have the original firmware already downloaded before you flash the custom OS.

You probably won't need it but, the firmware downloads are usually on slooow servers so, you won't have to wait if something does go wrong.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Just make sure to have the original firmware already downloaded before you flash the custom OS.

 You probably won't need it but, the firmware downloads are usually on slooow servers so, you won't have to wait if something does go wrong.

Would I download the firmware from 19-09-2018 here: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/VOD/

Just checking in case I download incorrect firmware.

Or could I download firmware from any network that I know will have more up to date firmware?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Would I download the firmware from 19-09-2018 here: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/VOD/

Just checking in case I download incorrect firmware

If you live in the UK then, that's the one unless you bought it from T-Mobile.

In that case, you'd want the SM-G930T

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

If you live in the UK then, that's the one unless you bought it from T-Mobile.

In that case, you'd want the SM-G930T

Alright awesome. My network is Vodafone but I bought it unlocked so I'll put Vodafone firmware on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@1kv Hey, LTT just made a video about flashing LineageOS. Give it a look if you haven't done it yet.

 

Spoiler

 

 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×