Time to upgrade or not?

XR6

Hi,

I'm probably a regular on this forum now with the infamous Galaxy S7.. but anyway I've been having battery trouble (my phone barely lasts from 8am-3pm and I barely use my phone), my call quality is horrific, android randomly crashes out of nowhere, it's slow as hell and it's only 6 months old? My storage is about 25GB full out of 32GB. 

I don't want to start a cycle of warranty returns as I have no other phone to use whilst my phone is away for repair, plus it will keep happening as my friend has the exact same phone as me (black flat S7) but it is 2 years old. He needs to plug his phone into a powerbank every day to stop the battery from just dying in an hour or so (the previous owner of the phone even sent the phone for warranty before about a year ago).  

Could anyone give me their two cents on what to do?

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Hi,

I'm probably a regular on this forum now with the infamous Galaxy S7.. but anyway I've been having battery trouble (my phone barely lasts from 8am-3pm and I barely use my phone), my call quality is horrific, android randomly crashes out of nowhere, it's slow as hell and it's only 6 months old? My storage is about 25GB full out of 32GB. 

I don't want to start a cycle of warranty returns as I have no other phone to use whilst my phone is away for repair, plus it will keep happening as my friend has the exact same phone as me (black flat S7) but it is 2 years old. He needs to plug his phone into a powerbank every day to stop the battery from just dying in an hour or so (the previous owner of the phone even sent the phone for warranty before about a year ago).  

Could anyone give me their two cents on what to do?

Time to upgrade, I upgraded myself 2 times in 7 months just to end up with a Note 9

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The note was the one that was a big blow, so the s7 is fine. I would upgrade, you can find some great budget and flagship phones these days. Look at the pocophone f1 for example

Just now, KingCry said:

Time to upgrade, I upgraded myself 2 times in 7 months just to end up with a Note 9

I really don't want to get rid of it, I overpaid wayyyyy too much for this thing (had to buy it brand new for £500 in a physical electronics shop cause my parents don't trust the internet, and being a high school student £500 is a real investment).. But if it struggles to get me through a day after 6 months of ownership it's time to leave it behind..

You could try replacing the battery or just re-flashing the firmware to see if that fixes the battery drain.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Try a custom ROM. Generally, that'll improve battery life and stability. Do that before you drop $700+ on a new phone.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

16 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

You could try replacing the battery or just re-flashing the firmware to see if that fixes the battery drain.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try a custom ROM. Generally, that'll improve battery life and stability. Do that before you drop $700+ on a new phone.

I've been debating that, it's just that I don't know if it's really worth voiding the warranty. 

Just now, 1kv said:

I've been debating that, it's just that I don't know if it's really worth voiding the warranty. 

Well, you're getting rid of it either way. Either you upgrade it, or you void the warranty and just push back the upgrade day. I'd really start by putting a custom ROM on it before you get a new phone.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, you're getting rid of it either way. Either you upgrade it, or you void the warranty and just push back the upgrade day. I'd really start by putting a custom ROM on it before you get a new phone.

I guess you're right.. Thanks for your help everyone @KingCry @LukeSavenije @Cyberspirit @kelvinhall05 :) 

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I'm pretty sure there's a way to game the system and make it so, it doesn't detect it as modified but, it's been a while since I did anything like this.

Also, I had a Galaxy Y (Yeah, it's been a while) that was modded to hell and back but, I was able to get it replaced after I reflashed everything back to stock.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

I'm pretty sure there's a way to game the system and make it so, it doesn't detect it as modified but, it's been a while since I did anything like this.

Also, I had a Galaxy Y (Yeah, it's been a while) that was modded to hell and back but, I was able to get it replaced after I reflashed everything back to stock.

Damn, I had a Galaxy Y too! Anyway I think Samsung have caught on now, someone told me that they have a really small chip inside that burns out when you've rooted the device or unlocked the bootloader.. 

Just now, 1kv said:

Damn, I had a Galaxy Y too! Anyway I think Samsung have caught on now, someone told me that they have a really small chip inside that burns out when you've rooted the device or unlocked the bootloader.. 

I doubt that to be honest. That'd be pretty low IMO.

Anyway, if you are going for the Custom OS route, LineageOS is a highly praised one.

Anyway, if you are going for the Custom OS route, LineageOS is a highly praised one.

Sounds awesome.. I'll take a look. 

This is the reason i quit Samsung - Battery. My note8 barely lasted 7AM-3PM. So now I'm thinking of switching to the dark side - Apple.:D

4 hours ago, Kunker_ said:

This is the reason i quit Samsung - Battery. My note8 barely lasted 7AM-3PM. So now I'm thinking of switching to the dark side - Apple.:D

Man! It ain’t half bad! I love my iPhone 7. I paid way too much for a used unit last year....but I love my iPhone! 

It just works. It’s so smooth and snappy. I just don’t get why people spend so much money on the newer iPhones when the iPhone 7 is just so good already. 

5 hours ago, Kunker_ said:

I changed over from an iPhone SE that I bought in 2016. It's not too bad but the battery is just as bad after 2 years of usage and you'll find that it's severly limited compared to Android. I'd go for a OnePlus.

15 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Apparently there's something called eFUSE by IBM.. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/how-knox-warranty-void-efuse-burning-t3407518

Anyway I don't care about my warranty anymore, the battery is so bad that I really don't have much to lose at the moment. 

38 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Apparently there's something called eFUSE by IBM.. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/how-knox-warranty-void-efuse-burning-t3407518

Anyway I don't care about my warranty anymore, the battery is so bad that I really don't have much to lose at the moment. 

Well, that's a bummer but, still, I'd assume they would repair your device if it had a hardware failure or just a broken screen.

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, that's a bummer but, still, I'd assume they would repair your device if it had a hardware failure or just a broken screen.

Yeah maybe. I'd rather not find that out though, could make for a costly repair lol

Anyway since the eFUSE is more of a software thing I don't see why they wouldn't honour a warranty if it was a physical device problem.

Just make sure to have the original firmware already downloaded before you flash the custom OS.

You probably won't need it but, the firmware downloads are usually on slooow servers so, you won't have to wait if something does go wrong.

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Just make sure to have the original firmware already downloaded before you flash the custom OS.

You probably won't need it but, the firmware downloads are usually on slooow servers so, you won't have to wait if something does go wrong.

Would I download the firmware from 19-09-2018 here: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/VOD/

Just checking in case I download incorrect firmware.

Or could I download firmware from any network that I know will have more up to date firmware?

7 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Would I download the firmware from 19-09-2018 here: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/VOD/

Just checking in case I download incorrect firmware

If you live in the UK then, that's the one unless you bought it from T-Mobile.

In that case, you'd want the SM-G930T

If you live in the UK then, that's the one unless you bought it from T-Mobile.

In that case, you'd want the SM-G930T

Alright awesome. My network is Vodafone but I bought it unlocked so I'll put Vodafone firmware on it.

@1kv Hey, LTT just made a video about flashing LineageOS. Give it a look if you haven't done it yet.

Spoiler