Hi Guys,

I'm a proper novice when it comes to ubuntu... especially from the terminal... i've setup a hyper-v VM running 18.10 server... and i'm just trying to get a static IP address assigned to the device, but currently stuck at the below:

image.png.e362c537a911affbb896f3b4dbbadacd.png

I can't seem to get out of this window... also i'm still unable to assign my static IP... i've rebooted tried netplan also to change the current config... and there isn't one there?

Any help appreciated!

That window is VIM. There's a meme going around the Linux community about how difficult it is to quit VIM, and I guess it's true ?

Basically you need to press ESC, which switches it to command mode, then type in :q! , which will cause it to quit without saving. In the future maybe add export EDITOR=/bin/nano to your /home/username/.bashrc or just use nano -w 'filename' since nano is a bit easier to understand.

You can either reinstall ifupdown, which should allow you to use /etc/network/interfaces again; or you can install NetworkManager, which comes with a nice terminal-based UI to help you (nmtui). Or you can try using netplan but to be honest I've never used it before and I don't know how to configure it either

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

Thanks guys,  i just ended up rebooting it, and getting the command right to go to netplan :)

thanks again!