Reinstall windows

Yorick01

Hello I want to reinstall windows to a ssd. I have now only a SSHD but that's is just very slow. So please correct me if I do something wrong.

Install the ssd.

Disconnect the sshd.

Plug in a USB with windows.

Start up with the USB.

Run the installing.

Reconnect the sshd.

Do I also need to change anything in the bios?

Thx for the help!

Once you've installed windows to your SSD, you'll likely want to format the SSHD as you won't be needing that installation of windows, assuming you have your information properly backed up.

Outside of that, if you plan to keep windows on the SSHD, you may need to prioritize the SSD as the primary boot device.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Yes I want to format the sshd, but first just transfer some things to the ssd. So I need to prioritize the ssd in the bios to do that?

10 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

Yes I want to format the sshd, but first just transfer some things to the ssd. So I need to prioritize the ssd in the bios to do that?

For future reference, quote somebody when you reply to them, that way they get a notification that you've added information/asked questions.

As a simple answer, yes. Your UEFI/BIOS may just boot from the last successful device, but it's not unheard of for it to just boot from whatever it's got. It's better just to prioritize the SSD so that you know that's what you'll boot from.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

make sure the boot order is set to prefer the SSD over the SSHD, and that's about it.

31 minutes ago, Semper said:

For future reference, quote somebody when you reply to them, that way they get a notification that you've added information/asked questions.

As a simple answer, yes. Your UEFI/BIOS may just boot from the last successful device, but it's not unheard of for it to just boot from whatever it's got. It's better just to prioritize the SSD so that you know that's what you'll boot from.

Sorry I forgot to quote.

And about the windows licences. You can just select that you are reinstalling windows and you will automatically get the license code?

2 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

Sorry I forgot to quote.

And about the windows licences. You can just select that you are reinstalling windows and you will automatically get the license code?

In theory, yes.
In practice, it's a free-for-all. I've had a reinstall transfer license just fine, and I've had a reinstall require 45 minutes on hold waiting for MS support to fix the issue.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gniKGd3f1-MJ:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-i-transfer-windows-10-to-another-computer/3704e5b9-0a43-4d29-9492-0792181a8a44+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-ab

11 minutes ago, Semper said:

I have a OEM version...

57 minutes ago, Yorick01 said:

I have a OEM version...

Is it OEM from a builder?

If so, they may have (had?) an upgrade program. You could try contacting them.

Outside of that, you can try contacting MS, but I make no promises you'll get anywhere.

13 minutes ago, Semper said:

Is it OEM from a builder?

If so, they may have (had?) an upgrade program. You could try contacting them.

Outside of that, you can try contacting MS, but I make no promises you'll get anywhere.

It's a custom PC from a builder.

I have still the sticker wit the license and the DVD. (They have probably used a USB or something else. Because the DVD is unopened.)

6 hours ago, Yorick01 said:

It's a custom PC from a builder.

I have still the sticker wit the license and the DVD. (They have probably used a USB or something else. Because the DVD is unopened.)

If you have the original OEM license key for Windows 10, when you login with your Microsoft Account, it should attribute the two automatically and activate as a Digital license linked to your Microsoft Account. Mine looks something like this and yours should look the same;

enterprise.jpg.1cb59f9d120285348796f948ee048afc.jpg

If it doesn't then you may need to contact Microsoft Support.

Jordan Bell

Forensic Cybersecurity Analyst (6YR Experience)

GSN Global (GSN UK)

--------------------------------

Any advice given is purely independent of GSN Global and its affiliates, we can't be held accountable for actions you may take on your software/hardware under our advisement. Please visit GSN UK online for more information about SLA-based services we provide.